Croatoan 06 Horkey

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:03 pm

talkingdeads wrote:I always likened this print as Aaron's homage to Christina's World.
Wow! That's an amazing comparison. You basing this off a gut feeling, or something more?
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
DixonSteele
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:11 pm

punch wrote:Personally, I look forward to seeing these laying on people's floors in THC pictures for years to come.
ajharrington321
Art Expert

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:17 pm

DixonSteele wrote:
punch wrote:Personally, I look forward to seeing these laying on people's floors in THC pictures for years to come.
I will put it on my wall, if I ever get one
Timbrh2001
Art Expert

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:18 pm

talkingdeads wrote:Have you ever heard the story of Archie Karas? His reasoning for never saving was because he needed his money to gamble with. Horkey pieces aren't like Whalen's, where one could purchase a single frame and trade out the print year after year. Almost every Horkey frame has to be custom made. A lot of us need our money to buy more Horkey's with, on the floor for a photo one day doesn't imply on the floor forever. I just moved in to a new home and finally have walls to hang my own things on with a sense of permanence. I really wanted the James Jean Seasons print today, but the girlfriend tells me it makes her feel uncomfortable. She demands Croatoan be framed in the living room. I have won.

decker,

I always likened this print as Aaron's homage to Christina's World.
Awesome! My frame for Croatoan is a X-Mas present so it will be hanging by the end of the year. Probably gonna hang it alongside WBG.
HappaHaoli
Art Expert

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:27 pm

rubberneck wrote:
:lol:
Pot meet kettle there cosmo neglecter. 8)
Image x6 ImageImage x2
"I had this dream where I relished the fray, and the screaming filled my head all day."
HappaHaoli
Art Expert

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:33 pm

mistersmith wrote:
talkingdeads wrote:I always likened this print as Aaron's homage to Christina's World.
Wow! That's an amazing comparison. You basing this off a gut feeling, or something more?
Did Aaron give that poor bird polio?
Image x6 ImageImage x2
"I had this dream where I relished the fray, and the screaming filled my head all day."
DixonSteele
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:53 pm

Are you talking about composition or do you see some kind of thematic link?

Has he referred to Wyeth as an influence generally?
oinkoink
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:49 pm

Both WBG and Croatoan are incredible pieces, but each showcase different strengths.

I would consider WBG to be more of a technological achievement. Aaron's line work is beautiful, especially on the Sentinel and the tree branches, and the screen printing is masterful, as exemplified with the sheer number of variants and printer proofs. In my humble opinion, WBG is a perfected product created by a skilled artist and equally skilled printer.

Croatoan is more of an artistic achievement. It flexes Aaron's brush skills and use of colors. Additionally, the piece also highlights his command over imagery and tone. Numerous symbols of duality are depicted: nature vs culture, life vs death, martyrdom vs sainthood, new vs old. Repeated use of these dualities gives the piece a feeling of ambiguity, and in effect, stirs up feelings of ambivalence in the viewer (which seem to have been perfectly captured by some of the comments in this thread). Perhaps this piece represents a pivotal moment in Aaron's life? I think regardless of how the piece is printed--screen print, giclee, Static Medium or not--we would all still be enamoured with it. This is why I opine Croatoan is a solo show of artistic elegance and eloquence.

Personally, I'm in love with this piece because of its ability to pique and retain my curiosity over and over. I just keep looking at it and drifting away in thought.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:56 pm

oinkoink wrote:Both WBG and Croatoan are incredible pieces, but each showcase different strengths.

I would consider WBG to be more of a technological achievement. Aaron's line work is beautiful, especially on the Sentinel and the tree branches, and the screen printing is masterful, as exemplified with the sheer number of variants and printer proofs. In my humble opinion, WBG is a perfected product created by a skilled artist and equally skilled printer.

Croatoan is more of an artistic achievement. It flexes Aaron's brush skills and use of colors. Additionally, the piece also highlights his command over imagery and tone. Numerous symbols of duality are depicted: nature vs culture, life vs death, martyrdom vs sainthood, new vs old. Repeated use of these dualities gives the piece a feeling of ambiguity, and in effect, stirs up feelings of ambivalence in the viewer (which seem to have been perfectly captured by some of the comments in this thread). Perhaps this piece represents a pivotal moment in Aaron's life? I think regardless of how the piece is printed--screen print, giclee, Static Medium or not--we would all still be enamoured with it. This is why I opine Croatoan is a solo show of artistic elegance and eloquence.

Personally, I'm in love with this piece because of its ability to pique and retain my curiosity over and over. I just keep looking at it and drifting away in thought.
Wonderfully stated :clap:
So it goes...
decker3984
Art Expert

Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:58 am

talkingdeads wrote:Have you ever heard the story of Archie Karas? His reasoning for never saving was because he needed his money to gamble with. Horkey pieces aren't like Whalen's, where one could purchase a single frame and trade out the print year after year. Almost every Horkey frame has to be custom made. A lot of us need our money to buy more Horkey's with, on the floor for a photo one day doesn't imply on the floor forever. I just moved in to a new home and finally have walls to hang my own things on with a sense of permanence. I really wanted the James Jean Seasons print today, but the girlfriend tells me it makes her feel uncomfortable. She demands Croatoan be framed in the living room. I have won.

decker,

I always likened this print as Aaron's homage to Christina's World.
deads,

I love you, but I have no idea what that means. But your explanation of SO many unframed Horkeys during THC, I don't think anyone could have made the point more eloquently. And the impulse to frame EVERY masterpiece Aaron put out over the last 11 years is the reason that until Hyperstoic, I hadn't had a CC for a about seven yrs. And also the reason I am selling ROTK now... Impulse control issues. That and with *just* over 40 custom framed Horkeys in my home... Wallspace is at a premium. So, haters gonna hate. Ain't a damn thing either of us can do about that... call it jealousy... call it levity. Admittedly, i was initially annoyed at Punch's comment, but I realized... Dude *does* have a point. And I know someone said... (and you could likely tell me who)... Any GOOD joke is at least 50% true. So, Punch... touché. And I'm sorry if I just *sort of* called you a hater. :cheers:
downtown wrote:If God has a plan for humanity it is simply to see what Aaron Horkey will do in the next ten years.
decker3984
Art Expert

Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:06 am

oinkoink wrote:Both WBG and Croatoan are incredible pieces, but each showcase different strengths.

Dude... If you are a print or two short of THC cut off next year, hit me up. I've got you covered. :cheers:
downtown wrote:If God has a plan for humanity it is simply to see what Aaron Horkey will do in the next ten years.
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:05 pm

Decker, the comparison to Christina's World is a very long topic. I believe we discussed it once, and it was filled with over two hours of tangents and art history and sociology and image personification. I.e. a typical phone call among old friends haha

If i were to break it down in a five second read so i don't get tl;dr'd by some turd mcmuffin:

The egg symbolizes fertility and woman. It is on a dilapidated carriage, that has lost its function to carry her onward in the enjoyment of life and children and barn dances and young love and maturity, she succumbs to this realization while she is gazing at an edifice similarly struggling to survive in the industrialized world, to be sold off piece by piece until there is nothing left and its replaced by a cheap housing development or small mall...there is a beauty in their shared paralysis and breakdown as life moves on beyond them to another time they can not be a part of
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:07 pm

MisterSmith, I await your rebuttal and the walk of discovery in which I realize my mistakes. Also, I have a fun little something I picked up for you...a william blake man will love it and it has a tie in to San Fran.

:pint:
aznpunkyu
Art Connoisseur

Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:41 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:

[Just thinking out loud] I'm still trying to figure this out in my head but WBG and Croatoan seem to have a Back To The Future type vibe. In both prints, the bird defeats the ray, but in WBG it seems like the ray didn't put up much of a fight, while in Croatoan maybe the ray came back stronger and had a better match at the bird.

It would be cool to have these framed one on top of the other, once I get more funds and track down a WBG.
Image THC x 3
decker3984
Art Expert

Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:46 pm

talkingdeads wrote:Decker, the comparison to Christina's World is a very long topic. I believe we discussed it once, and it was filled with over two hours of tangents and art history and sociology and image personification. I.e. a typical phone call among old friends haha

If i were to break it down in a five second read so i don't get tl;dr'd by some turd mcmuffin:

The egg symbolizes fertility and woman. It is on a dilapidated carriage, that has lost its function to carry her onward in the enjoyment of life and children and barn dances and young love and maturity, she succumbs to this realization while she is gazing at an edifice similarly struggling to survive in the industrialized world, to be sold off piece by piece until there is nothing left and its replaced by a cheap housing development or small mall...there is a beauty in their shared paralysis and breakdown as life moves on beyond them to another time they can not be a part of
No. I am pretty sure *this* was not one of our two hour long tangentially driven conversations...
Well, I guess I am glad that I promised my copy to a mutual friend who has risen like Lazurus.
And I guess in a way... I'm glad it wasn't b/c I don't think I would ever have agreed to part with it,
if in fact it had been. Thank you Sir.

Parting *is* such sweet sorrow.

You & the print. :cheers:
(until next time)