Croatoan 06 Horkey

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
hellosir
Art Freak

Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:57 pm

Oh EB
TheThirdEye
Art Expert

Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:28 pm

HappaHaoli wrote:
Vedderman23 wrote:
noweyesee wrote:I like how he painted that little hand on the egg. The details!
:lol: I laughed way too loud at that, coworkers giving me the eye.
Seriously, you made me look for it figuring I had missed something. :P
:lol: guess that's what I get for taking a screen capture with the cursor over the image.

zefarrett
Art Freak

Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:29 pm

son of a bitch. i wanted to make the hand joke! i would have been a star! all the laughs, pats on the backs, compliments. gone. this is rock bottom for me.
me owwww
Instagram: zefarrett
Untappd: zefarrett (just pm me who you are)
TheThirdEye
Art Expert

Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:31 pm

zefarrett wrote:son of a bitch. i wanted to make the hand joke! i would have been a star! all the laughs, pats on the backs, compliments. gone. this is rock bottom for me.
What were you going with? Give it a shot. It might still be funny. :lol:
UrsusMorris
Art Expert

Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:32 pm

TheThirdEye wrote:
zefarrett wrote:son of a bitch. i wanted to make the hand joke! i would have been a star! all the laughs, pats on the backs, compliments. gone. this is rock bottom for me.
What were you going with? Give it a shot. It might still be funny. :lol:
You can do it! There's still time!
mattkardish wrote:the polar bear would take the great white to the corner of jabroni drive and know your role boulevard and rock bottom his ass onto that stop sign and finish him off with the people's elbow. clearly y'all can't smell what the polar bear is cookin.
zefarrett
Art Freak

Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:33 pm

something something something. hand on egg.

IT WOULD HAVE BEEN HILARIOUS! :cry:
me owwww
Instagram: zefarrett
Untappd: zefarrett (just pm me who you are)
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:34 pm

HappaHaoli
Art Expert

Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:35 pm

You'll always be the Handy of Justice to us.
Image x6 ImageImage x2
"I had this dream where I relished the fray, and the screaming filled my head all day."
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:46 pm

We still love you buddy.

I'm pretty excited to see this in person. I definitely think this is one of his more accessible images.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
fredo
Art God

Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:04 pm

You guys playing cards?

What's up McCarthyites?
J/K. Suppose there's not much reason to post this but... no sweat re: the troll comments. I've crossed that line before and have been rightfully called on it. More often than not it's resulted in decent discussions after the fact with some of you nice people here. Otherwise I stand by the original comment, including the "this is gorgeous" part. Also, I kid you Horquanauts only because you SO take the work to heart. And that's great. Carry on.

ps The AOTW vote for the Res Dogs knockoff was in jest...kinda. Weird gigposters ring my bell (doubly so after a couple of beers). And if a vote for Ryan Duggan's badly registered Vivian Girls gp featuring Gumby fueling up a stolen car with his horse riding shotgun would cause it to win AOTY a few years later... I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Hypocrisy for all!
just a foil for me today, thanks
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:22 pm

Timbrh2001 wrote:
comountaingolf wrote:
Superfro33 wrote:
Timbrh2001 wrote:How about you post in a thread of something you're actually interested in?
:lol:

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... +#p2778571
My music rocks, your music sucks. My art rocks, your art sucks. My movies rock, your choices suck. Dudes a drymounting broken record.
I cannot believe you're a Horkey fan. You're nothing like him.

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
This MIGHT be the worst person on the forum to ever make comparisons about how someone "isn't like" a genuinely nice artist, who cares not only about his fans but fans of art in general.
Timbrh2001
Art Expert

Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:55 pm

fredo wrote:You guys playing cards?

What's up McCarthyites?
J/K. Suppose there's not much reason to post this but... no sweat re: the troll comments. I've crossed that line before and have been rightfully called on it. More often than not it's resulted in decent discussions after the fact with some of you nice people here. Otherwise I stand by the original comment, including the "this is gorgeous" part. Also, I kid you Horquanauts only because you SO take the work to heart. And that's great. Carry on.

ps The AOTW vote for the Res Dogs knockoff was in jest...kinda. Weird gigposters ring my bell (doubly so after a couple of beers). And if a vote for Ryan Duggan's badly registered Vivian Girls gp featuring Gumby fueling up a stolen car with his horse riding shotgun would cause it to win AOTY a few years later... I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Hypocrisy for all!
LOOK AT WHAT YOU DID!!!

:P :P :P
decker3984
Art Expert

Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:55 am

finneganm wrote:How about this:

I wish the vulture left his helmet on. I think the detail on the bird is great, and overall a great piece, but that bird is simply not aesthetically pleasing to me.
I honestly agree. I wish the creature was wearing it's helmet...
Not that is was laying discarded / disrupted (after it's little tussle with the ray) in the snow.

But I guess if it was wearing the helmet...
You seemingly would not be able to see it's "halo" / "aura" / "whateverthefuckthatisarounditsorbitalsocketlesshead"
downtown wrote:If God has a plan for humanity it is simply to see what Aaron Horkey will do in the next ten years.
decker3984
Art Expert

Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:17 pm

So, a little backstory on the image...

The owner of the painting; Greg (any hopefully neither he nor Aaron minds my saying this)...
Anyway, so Greg... Aaron's former business partner, who handled the business end of DAP,
had commissioned Aaron to do a painting on a slab of sanded / stained (I think) exotic hardwood
from Aaron's Dad's shop, Wood Parts. Aaron has done shirts for his Dad's shop, so that is not a big secret.
Anyway, the wood selected was bubinga. I can't recall if this was Greg's choice or just one of a small handful
of options that he requested. I think there was *some* chance the painting could have ended up on Purple Heart.

Anywho, so Greg commissioned Aaron to do the painting...
And the *original* idea was that the painting would be the central image in a three image panel.
And Aaron being a HUGE comic book fan (see gift cards done for Big Brain Comics) was going to make it a Horkey,
OCD beyond human comprehension or reasoning "comic strip".

So, the images that were going to flank the painting were going to be inks of *before* and *after* what we are seeing in the central panel.
And I am pretty sure Aaron had even gone so far as to take reference photos for said (to my knowledge) completely nonexistent drawings.
There *might* be SUPER rough concept sketches, to map out perspective...

Socks and Baker...

The RACE is on!! :lol:
(love you guys!)

Anyway, so last Aaron described the idea / images to me...

The first (nonexistent) panel was going to be the ray in an exaggerated perspective flying towards the viewer and away from the
dilapidated structure we are seeing to the right of the central image. So, think kind of like the ray on Epoch. Baker you lucky
drymounter. :P Seriously dude... If not *mine*... It could not have gone to a better home! And so I guess you can look at it...
That in a *way* you already have the first ink in the panel. Wow. I think I just blew my own mind! Ha

So, the final panel was going to be the creature perched on the egg dying in the snow, because the ray...
Had poisoned it. So, really the ray does get the last laugh in the "comic strip".

And I know Aaron had pics of a dead vulture lying in snow, that I believe he found while biking...
And since I believe this was PRE iPhone days, I believe he had to call his wife and ask her to bring him
his "camera" (not attached to phone), so he could snap pics before OTHER vultures descended and disrupted
the scene. So there you have it Horkaphiles...

Some Horkey history of what never was.
downtown wrote:If God has a plan for humanity it is simply to see what Aaron Horkey will do in the next ten years.
HappaHaoli
Art Expert

Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:29 pm

decker3984 wrote:
finneganm wrote:How about this:

I wish the vulture left his helmet on. I think the detail on the bird is great, and overall a great piece, but that bird is simply not aesthetically pleasing to me.
I honestly agree. I wish the creature was wearing it's helmet...
Not that is was laying discarded / disrupted (after it's little tussle with the ray) in the snow.

But I guess if it was wearing the helmet...
You seemingly would not be able to see it's "halo" / "aura" / "whateverthefuckthatisarounditsorbitalsocketlesshead"
To me, it almost seems like he's shedded his initial helmet but a new one is already forming/calcifying. The head is black in contrast to the neck and the coarsing veins seem almost like "blood" is rushing to the head to nourish whatever is going on in it. If that isn't a texture on the headmet itself it may be so smooth that it's reflecting the clouds overhead (longshot as they would be a different type than those in the background).

BTW - Great background above. It's always appreciated when those in the know give us insight into his work that lends more perspective. Thanks
Image x6 ImageImage x2
"I had this dream where I relished the fray, and the screaming filled my head all day."