Flight of the Black Osprey 05 Horkey

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:49 pm

This topic is dedicated to: Flight of the Black Osprey 05 Horkey

Rev.Mike
Flipper

Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:49 pm

This print was sold exclusively by Gallery1988 in LA.
Rev.Mike
Flipper

Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:52 pm

The original painting can be purchased for $36,000.00 from www.genricausa.com.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:10 pm

OG: Acrylic on Masonite 22x13 Inches - 2003
Rev.Mike
Flipper

Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:43 am

So, according to Wes there was supposed to be 50 of these, and they are numbered out of 50, but only 15 were actually made, signed and numbered. Aaron wasn't entirely happy with how the colors came out so they didn't do anymore. So even though they say 50, only 15 exist. How's them apples?
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:20 am

Rev.Mike wrote:So, according to Wes there was supposed to be 50 of these, and they are numbered out of 50, but only 15 were actually made, signed and numbered. Aaron wasn't entirely happy with how the colors came out so they didn't do anymore. So even though they say 50, only 15 exist. How's them apples?
That sounds like an absolutely fantabulous reason for them to do another printing wouldn't you say? :D :D :D
lettawren
Art Connoisseur

Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:57 pm

we're looking into it - it would be a much, much larger full color giclee print on really nice paper if we go that far!
nc
EB Team

Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:11 pm

lettawren wrote:we're looking into it - it would be a much, much larger full color giclee print on really nice paper if we go that far!
Well you can put me down for one if you do it! :wink:
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:26 pm

ncernak wrote:
lettawren wrote:we're looking into it - it would be a much, much larger full color giclee print on really nice paper if we go that far!
Seconded. I thought it strange that the first run was such a small size for an image with that much detail in it.
boatingbenny
Art Expert

Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:48 pm

He should dedicate this print to Steve Irwin!!! :lol:
thegig
Art Expert

Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:32 pm

greenhorn1 wrote:
ncernak wrote:
Seconded. I thought it strange that the first run was such a small size for an image with that much detail in it.
Motion carried! Do it! :)
tj
Art Expert

Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:34 am

damn, i would love to see this in a larger print and with colors and printing that aaron approved of. i have the print that the gallery made, and it looks good but i can see why he didnt like it (kind of faded looking!).

now, what about a molted foal print series? or a gaping maw print? or his self portrait (at least i THINK these are the names of his paintings)? man, that would REALLLY cream my corn. oil my olive. pork my loin, if you will. juuuust crab my cakes.

and what's the difference between giclee and litho? is litho more expensive? is there a noticible difference in quality or whatever?
Chris
Art Expert

Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:00 am

This is visually amazeing. I would love to hold one of these bad boys in my hands.

Man, I do hope thay decide to give this another shot.
I need to see this up close :shock: intricate details, just incredible.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:46 pm

tj wrote:and what's the difference between giclee and litho? is litho more expensive? is there a noticible difference in quality or whatever?
Giclee is used to describe any high-resolution, large-format ink-jet printer output with fade-resistant dye- or pigment-based inks. It is common for these printers to use between six and twelve colour inks. The use of dye based inks requires special coating to avoid fading.

Lithography refers to a printing process that uses chemical processes to create an image. For instance, the positive part of an image would be a hydrophobic chemical, while the negative image would be water. Thus, when the plate is introduced to a compatible ink and water mixture, the ink will adhere to the positive image and the water will clean the negative image. This allows for a relatively flat print plate which allows for much longer runs than the older physical methods of imaging (e.g., embossing or engraving).

Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giclee
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithography
lettawren
Art Connoisseur

Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:20 pm

also, with litho, you would want to find out what litho process was used, as there's more fine-art lithography that is like screenprinting in that each color is laid down separately and it's done with either a gigantor stone (literal lithography) or an aluminum plate. then there's commercial lithography, which is essentially how most commercial prints are done these days from what i understand - like magazine printing, etc.

one thing that's nice about giclee for full color prints is that it allows you to get a really precise print. seeing our proof of the large sized osprey print made me a huge believer in giclee - and in the powers of aaron. his painting is so precise that it completely holds up when blown up that large, and that amazes me. even he seemed a little surprised when we were looking at that sucker friday night!