Obama Hope 08 Fairey

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
Post Reply
User avatar
Kdh12
Art Freak
Posts: 10818
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Here

Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:29 am

Timmytj wrote:
Kdh12 wrote:if it is on the usual thick paper then you are golden

if it is on thin paster paper then you are stupid
so very wrong, and exactly the logic that is making these criminal sellers bank and putting buyers out thousands.

Well I disagree

The paper that Fairey uses especially for the S/N offset is very distinct, and if you own any other Obey prints you can recognize the paper that they use

the hard thing to tell is the difference between the Thick paper offset (which is S/N) and the thin paper offset AKA the pasters.... especially from pictures on the internet but in hand the difference is very obvious

if you are not a collector and if you are spending thousands on something that the rest of us know is obviously a bootleg then you are just stupid for not doing your research...... ebay is what it is, their are a lot of people trying to hustle fake fudge and most people that bid and buy are not smarter then a 3rd grader
mmmm Beer :pint:
Timmytj
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:00 am

Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:58 am

Kdh12 wrote:
Timmytj wrote:
Kdh12 wrote:if it is on the usual thick paper then you are golden

if it is on thin paster paper then you are stupid
so very wrong, and exactly the logic that is making these criminal sellers bank and putting buyers out thousands.

Well I disagree

The paper that Fairey uses especially for the S/N offset is very distinct, and if you own any other Obey prints you can recognize the paper that they use

the hard thing to tell is the difference between the Thick paper offset (which is S/N) and the thin paper offset AKA the pasters.... especially from pictures on the internet but in hand the difference is very obvious

if you are not a collector and if you are spending thousands on something that the rest of us know is obviously a bootleg then you are just stupid for not doing your research...... ebay is what it is, their are a lot of people trying to hustle fake fudge and most people that bid and buy are not smarter then a 3rd grader
again, shortly after the initial sale in february fairey gave away 100 that were on the thick paper. it was the first 100 to rsvp online to some party would get one at the door. and they were signed but unnumbered. shortly after that is when the AP sales starting showing up in big numbers.

so just because it is on the thick paper does not mean you are golden. fact. you can disagree all you want, but it just is not that simple.
Who deserves the R2D2 cookie jar more? The Star Wars fan, or the Cookie Jar nut?
Subtle
Art Expert
Posts: 1791
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:10 pm

Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:12 pm

Timmytj wrote:
Kdh12 wrote:
Timmytj wrote:
Kdh12 wrote:if it is on the usual thick paper then you are golden

if it is on thin paster paper then you are stupid
so very wrong, and exactly the logic that is making these criminal sellers bank and putting buyers out thousands.

Well I disagree

The paper that Fairey uses especially for the S/N offset is very distinct, and if you own any other Obey prints you can recognize the paper that they use

the hard thing to tell is the difference between the Thick paper offset (which is S/N) and the thin paper offset AKA the pasters.... especially from pictures on the internet but in hand the difference is very obvious

if you are not a collector and if you are spending thousands on something that the rest of us know is obviously a bootleg then you are just stupid for not doing your research...... ebay is what it is, their are a lot of people trying to hustle fake fudge and most people that bid and buy are not smarter then a 3rd grader
geez...why do you guys care so much? Get over it.

again, shortly after the initial sale in february fairey gave away 100 that were on the thick paper. it was the first 100 to rsvp online to some party would get one at the door. and they were signed but unnumbered. shortly after that is when the AP sales starting showing up in big numbers.

so just because it is on the thick paper does not mean you are golden. fact. you can disagree all you want, but it just is not that simple.
Codeblue wrote:Nevermind, I confused myself.
Timmytj
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:00 am

Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:32 pm


geez...why do you guys care so much? Get over it.
because i collect shepard faireys, i own the print being discussed, i think it is good to get the record straight, and i feel bad for people getting taken for thousands of dollars. why do you care?
Who deserves the R2D2 cookie jar more? The Star Wars fan, or the Cookie Jar nut?
User avatar
Kdh12
Art Freak
Posts: 10818
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Here

Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:39 pm

Timmytj wrote:
Kdh12 wrote:
Timmytj wrote:
Kdh12 wrote:if it is on the usual thick paper then you are golden

if it is on thin paster paper then you are stupid
so very wrong, and exactly the logic that is making these criminal sellers bank and putting buyers out thousands.

Well I disagree

The paper that Fairey uses especially for the S/N offset is very distinct, and if you own any other Obey prints you can recognize the paper that they use

the hard thing to tell is the difference between the Thick paper offset (which is S/N) and the thin paper offset AKA the pasters.... especially from pictures on the internet but in hand the difference is very obvious

if you are not a collector and if you are spending thousands on something that the rest of us know is obviously a bootleg then you are just stupid for not doing your research...... ebay is what it is, their are a lot of people trying to hustle fake fudge and most people that bid and buy are not smarter then a 3rd grader
again, shortly after the initial sale in february fairey gave away 100 that were on the thick paper. it was the first 100 to rsvp online to some party would get one at the door. and they were signed but unnumbered. shortly after that is when the AP sales starting showing up in big numbers.

so just because it is on the thick paper does not mean you are golden. fact. you can disagree all you want, but it just is not that simple.
the prints he gave away at the fundraiser were on thin paper and it wasn't the first 100 to rsvp online it was the first 100 through the door
mmmm Beer :pint:
Subtle
Art Expert
Posts: 1791
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:10 pm

Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:57 pm

Timmytj wrote:

geez...why do you guys care so much? Get over it.
because i collect shepard faireys, i own the print being discussed, i think it is good to get the record straight, and i feel bad for people getting taken for thousands of dollars. why do you care?
because your drenching this thread with nonsense when it should be reserved for comments on the art.
Codeblue wrote:Nevermind, I confused myself.
User avatar
Kdh12
Art Freak
Posts: 10818
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Here

Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:02 pm

talk about the art then.......

what is left to say after a year and half of discussing the art?
mmmm Beer :pint:
Subtle
Art Expert
Posts: 1791
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:10 pm

Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:57 pm

Kdh12 wrote:talk about the art then.......

what is left to say after a year and half of discussing the art?
I like the artists choice of colors...
Codeblue wrote:Nevermind, I confused myself.
Timmytj
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:00 am

Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:00 pm

am i confused here? the hope print is a piece of art and we are discussing it. buzz off if you dont want to join the discussion.

i could be wrong but i remember it being thick stock at the party thing back in march
Who deserves the R2D2 cookie jar more? The Star Wars fan, or the Cookie Jar nut?
User avatar
Kdh12
Art Freak
Posts: 10818
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Here

Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:39 pm

Timmytj wrote:am i confused here? the hope print is a piece of art and we are discussing it. buzz off if you dont want to join the discussion.

i could be wrong but i remember it being thick stock at the party thing back in march

I am not sure what you are taking about in march????

in August there was the LA fundraiser where 100 were given away and here is a discription
*****adap***** wrote:Yeah I happened to get a Obama/Hope print at the L.A. Fundraiser show with ZTRIP Its thin paper/Pasterish not that OBEY recycled stock that hes known for still HUGE 24 x 36
everything other then the S/N edition has been on thin paper
mmmm Beer :pint:
Agame
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:42 pm

Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:04 pm

Ya.. it's thin paper. I was at the Echopark fundraiser. First hundred in line got 1
Subtle
Art Expert
Posts: 1791
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:10 pm

Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:15 pm

Timmytj wrote:am i confused here? the hope print is a piece of art and we are discussing it. buzz off if you dont want to join the discussion.

i could be wrong but i remember it being thick stock at the party thing back in march
well timmay, I must say your whole case about this AP thing is a little bogus. First of all, show me a seller who has sold multiple AP's of this. If there are people out there mass producing these and writing AP on them (like you seem to think), please show me the person by proving they have sold multiples of them. Wouldn't that be what they would do? Also, I have looked at completed auctions of many Obey AP's and there doesn't seem to be any real set way that AP is written. Besides, Fairey just signs these things, I don't think he numbers them all himself as well.
Codeblue wrote:Nevermind, I confused myself.
User avatar
oldfartatplay
Art Expert
Posts: 1829
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:42 am

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:58 pm

OK someone tell me that this is a legit AP eBay 260361556835
Read the description, I wish he would sell me some of whatever he's been taking :silly:
User avatar
Kdh12
Art Freak
Posts: 10818
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Here

Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:19 pm

oldfartatplay wrote:OK someone tell me that this is a legit AP eBay 260361556835
Read the description, I wish he would sell me some of whatever he's been taking :silly:

that is a tough one honestly, it looks like it is one thin paper but he describes it as if it were on thick paper without actually saying "it is on thick stock"

regardless a starting out bid of 9,000 is insane
mmmm Beer :pint:
automator
Nobody
Posts: 129614
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:00 am

Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:52 pm

New image Mannie Garcia / AP


Image
Post Reply