The Visitor 08 Eelus

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:05 pm

This topic is dedicated to: The Visitor 08 Eelus

AKBAPE
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:06 pm

Can anyone tell me why a great print like this gets ZERO love and the Grafter splash print has over 150 replies. That's a great print and all but this image is choice.
angus3102
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:11 pm

choice? I have no clue what is going on in the head region. See the face on the ground but the shape of the face without a face is unclear with no definition. If I could see what was going on, maybe. Sorry, if Splash seems to have resonated with more people. It is, in only my opinion, a better piece than this. Child jumping in blood, paint, rain, puddle, great colors with great contrast with red.

this is unclear image in white and black on dark grey.
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:27 pm

AKBAPE wrote:Can anyone tell me why a great print like this gets ZERO love and the Grafter splash print has over 150 replies. That's a great print and all but this image is choice.
Why does it have to be a competition? I dig Eelus, but I don't see why you have to say, "how come Grafter is getting so much attention while Eelus is not?" Why not just say, "I think this print deserves some attention"?
dangerboy
Flipper

Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:50 pm

i kinda like the simplicity of the print itself, but i have to agree, i need someone to explain what's going on there...
morecoffee wrote:
itsdug wrote:what does mint with pin holes mean?!
Consider it perfect and pure...like a virgin who loves ass play and sucking the clown.
pearlybaker wrote:This place is a magnet for retards with some sort of psychosis.
AKBAPE
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:52 am

cadeallaw wrote:
AKBAPE wrote:Can anyone tell me why a great print like this gets ZERO love and the Grafter splash print has over 150 replies. That's a great print and all but this image is choice.
Why does it have to be a competition? I dig Eelus, but I don't see why you have to say, "how come Grafter is getting so much attention while Eelus is not?" Why not just say, "I think this print deserves some attention"?
Fair enough. I'm glad that other guys are starting to get attention here though. I just was confused why there was a rabid frenzy for the grafter image while all other street artists went unnoticed. Good to see Fake on the front page. Wasn't trying to start a competition, I was more asking for opinions on why the grafter image created such an enormous stir?? Do people think that it's far and away the best street image out there? Or is it the flavor of the week?
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:07 pm

AKBAPE wrote: Fair enough. I'm glad that other guys are starting to get attention here though. I just was confused why there was a rabid frenzy for the grafter image while all other street artists went unnoticed. Good to see Fake on the front page. Wasn't trying to start a competition, I was more asking for opinions on why the grafter image created such an enormous stir?? Do people think that it's far and away the best street image out there? Or is it the flavor of the week?
I think that people just really like the image (myself included). I also think the pics I posted of the Mr. Frameman's frame job didn't hurt either: http://www.expressobeans.com/visual/index.php/73387

As far as other European street artists are concerned, the last Dolk release got some attention... the same with Nick Walker (although I don't think that anyone from EB was selected in the lottery). Data posted some of his work on here and I found it to be very impressive (bought two prints, can't wait to get them). http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... ta#p441263

Also, Mau Mau, Prefab, imbue, etc..
AKBAPE
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:30 pm

cadeallaw wrote:
AKBAPE wrote: Fair enough. I'm glad that other guys are starting to get attention here though. I just was confused why there was a rabid frenzy for the grafter image while all other street artists went unnoticed. Good to see Fake on the front page. Wasn't trying to start a competition, I was more asking for opinions on why the grafter image created such an enormous stir?? Do people think that it's far and away the best street image out there? Or is it the flavor of the week?
I think that people just really like the image (myself included). I also think the pics I posted of the Mr. Frameman's frame job didn't hurt either: http://www.expressobeans.com/visual/index.php/73387

As far as other European street artists are concerned, the last Dolk release got some attention... the same with Nick Walker (although I don't think that anyone from EB was selected in the lottery). Data posted some of his work on here and I found it to be very impressive (bought two prints, can't wait to get them). http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... ta#p441263

Also, Mau Mau, Prefab, imbue, etc..

Yah Data is great. And that frame is simply incredible I would have to agree. That said, I just felt that the response to the grafter image has had too much to do with its being named art of the week. To be honest I was dying for the wood piece but simply couldn't afford it. However, I would bet top dollar that I will be able to pick it up from someone within a year for less than cost for the simple reason that some people who bought it, A. Bought it as an investment (silly) or B. bought it to follow the crowd. Do I think a lot of people LOVE to image. Of course, it's beautiful. But I can sadly assure you that 80% of the people foaming at the mouth will forget this ever happened in 6 months from now.
cerebus
Art Expert

Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:35 pm

dangerboy wrote:i kinda like the simplicity of the print itself, but i have to agree, i need someone to explain what's going on there...
I thought that the 'Visitor' in question was related to the women in the print having her period. I often find my wife, squatting down in the back yard, baying at the full moon when she's having hers. The print is a unnervingly similar representation of such occurrences.

Apparently though, it's something to do with an alien visitor. From Eelus' web site:

She looked skyward to the underbelly of her ship as the searchlight found her crouched and waiting to go home. The visitor left the same way as she had arrived, unseen, unheard, and unnoticed by the people of Earth.
angus3102
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:40 pm

I definitely don't like it. haha

Not into scifi
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:47 pm

AKBAPE wrote: Yah Data is great. And that frame is simply incredible I would have to agree. That said, I just felt that the response to the grafter image has had too much to do with its being named art of the week. To be honest I was dying for the wood piece but simply couldn't afford it. However, I would bet top dollar that I will be able to pick it up from someone within a year for less than cost for the simple reason that some people who bought it, A. Bought it as an investment (silly) or B. bought it to follow the crowd. Do I think a lot of people LOVE to image. Of course, it's beautiful. But I can sadly assure you that 80% of the people foaming at the mouth will forget this ever happened in 6 months from now.
The Splash paper was sold out on Grafter's website a long time before the attention that he got on EB. People have obviously been drawn to the image prior to EB hype of Jan 2009.
Furthermore, Splash was named art of the week in response to it getting a lot of attention... people had to vote for it, it wasn't just randomly chosen. Also, Splash seems to be getting a lot of attention on the Banksy forum now as well. Keep in mind, i'm not saying that it wasn't getting attention over there previously, but I have noticed a significant increase as of late.

I, myself, bought the canvas. 'Why', you ask? I just really love the image. I had an ISO thread in early December: http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... er#p440973
In November, I had also sent Grafter a PM over on the Banksy forum regarding the image and didn't hear a response. I decided to wait around and see if I could pick up the 'White Paper' version on Ebay or from an ISO thread, and as a fallback, I figured that I could always buy the Canvas or Wood if need be. Well, eventually the popularity of the piece took off and the wood ended up selling out, followed by a shrinking inventory in the canvas at urbanangel.com. I realized that having the canvas as a 'fallback' was no longer an option, so when there was one canvas left, i grabbed it (it is amazing in person I must say).
AKBAPE
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:52 pm

cadeallaw wrote:
AKBAPE wrote: Yah Data is great. And that frame is simply incredible I would have to agree. That said, I just felt that the response to the grafter image has had too much to do with its being named art of the week. To be honest I was dying for the wood piece but simply couldn't afford it. However, I would bet top dollar that I will be able to pick it up from someone within a year for less than cost for the simple reason that some people who bought it, A. Bought it as an investment (silly) or B. bought it to follow the crowd. Do I think a lot of people LOVE to image. Of course, it's beautiful. But I can sadly assure you that 80% of the people foaming at the mouth will forget this ever happened in 6 months from now.
The Splash paper was sold out on Grafter's website a long time before the attention that he got on EB. People have obviously been drawn to the image prior to EB hype of Jan 2009.
Furthermore, Splash was named art of the week in response to it getting a lot of attention... people had to vote for it, it wasn't just randomly chosen. Also, Splash seems to be getting a lot of attention on the Banksy forum now as well. Keep in mind, i'm not saying that it wasn't getting attention over there previously, but I have noticed a significant increase as of late.

I, myself, bought the canvas. 'Why', you ask? I just really love the image. I had an ISO thread in early December: http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... er#p440973
In November, I had also sent Grafter a PM over on the Banksy forum regarding the image and didn't hear a response. I decided to wait around and see if I could pick up the 'White Paper' version on Ebay or from an ISO thread, and as a fallback, I figured that I could always buy the Canvas or Wood if need be. Well, eventually the popularity of the piece took off and the wood ended up selling out, followed by a shrinking inventory in the canvas at urbanangel.com. I realized that having the canvas as a 'fallback' was no longer an option, so when there was one canvas left, i grabbed it (it is amazing in person I must say).
Fair enough. For the record I wasn't accusing you at all. I've just been a little frustrated with the ebb and flows of artists popularity. I'm beginning to realize I should keep my mouth shut though. The more I support an artist openly the more their work will move out of my price range. Either way it was very interesting hearing your opinion of Grafter's beautiful image.
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:57 pm

back to Eelus... I think that he has come a LONG way since Chewbarber (I just used this example in another thread a few days ago):

Blah: Image

Awesome: Image Image

For the record, I also like 'Raven Haired Girl' and 'The Good, The Bad and The Moon' more than 'The Visitor'.
AKBAPE
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:19 pm

cadeallaw wrote:back to Eelus... I think that he has come a LONG way since Chewbarber (I just used this example in another thread a few days ago):

Blah: Image

Awesome: Image Image

For the record, I also like 'Raven Haired Girl' and 'The Good, The Bad and The Moon' more than 'The Visitor'.
Oh believe me I do too. The Good, The Bad, and the Moon may have been my favorite image from the CANS festival. That said, I was not lucky enough to get either of them for retail whereas Visitor has been more readily available.
bloodthrust
Art Expert

Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:27 pm

AKBAPE wrote: I've just been a little frustrated with the ebb and flows of artists popularity. I'm beginning to realize I should keep my mouth shut though. The more I support an artist openly the more their work will move out of my price range.
I'm sorry, but this has to be one of the stupidest drymounting things I've ever read on here....actually disgusting to some extent.
Perkins wrote:Hmm. Art with rules. Doesn't sound like all that great of an idea to me.
mistersmith wrote:It's Pearl Jam. You could poop on a piece of French Paper and write "Pearl Jam" in it with your finger and have a decent shot at AoTW.