Widespread Panic New Orleans 08 Sperry

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
ricv64
Art Expert

Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:17 am

so is widespread panic a jam band or a party band ?
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:42 am

ricv64 wrote:so is widespread panic a jam band or a party band ?
I wouldn't consider them a 'jam band' because they lack an essential element of said term. I would say that they are a southern rock band, nothing more.
jimmyhoops
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:04 pm

Absolutely one of the best panic posters of the year...and in fact, of the last several years. I have managed to collect most of the panic posters available so I can say first hand what magnificent quality this poster is! :drool: Most of the colors are done in metallics. Definately going to be one of the most sought after posters available. :notworthy:

Once again, thank god that Panic has gone back to offering fantastic posters. It makes me wish I were on tour again just to be able to pick 'em up at merch booth prices. At least ebay makes collecting easy...even though the prices are a bit steep these days.
~JimmyHoops...Widespread Panic and Grateful Dead Poster Fanatic!
jimmyhoops
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:09 pm

cadeallaw wrote:
ricv64 wrote:so is widespread panic a jam band or a party band ?
I wouldn't consider them a 'jam band' because they lack an essential element of said term. I would say that they are a southern rock band, nothing more.

I would definately beg to differ. They have a magnificent improvosational style much like the Grateful Dead or Phish. Any band who can wrap one song into another without pause is definately a jam band in my opinion. I don't know how you could say they don't "jam" when they have some songs that stretch for over 15 minutes with "teases" of other songs in their repretoir thrown in for good measure. Of course they are southern rock in the sense that they come from the south. But to think that they fall within the record company rule of a sub 4 minute song is ludicrous.

Anyone who would not describe Panic as a jam band doesn't know what they are talking about! PERIOD!

If you don't like Panic then just say so. Spewing that they lack the essence of "Jam" is being just downright ignorant of their music!
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:06 am

jimmyhoops wrote: I would definately beg to differ. They have a magnificent improvosational style much like the Grateful Dead or Phish. Any band who can wrap one song into another without pause is definately a jam band in my opinion. I don't know how you could say they don't "jam" when they have some songs that stretch for over 15 minutes with "teases" of other songs in their repretoir thrown in for good measure.
You are silly. Song A> Guitar Solo > Song A does not count as a 'jam'. Also, if the instrumental part of the song is precomposed, I don't count that as a 'jam' either. Not that WSP doesn't have their strong suits, but full band improvisation is not one of them. Also, WSP 'segues' are mostly pretty abrupt. Never during a WSP transition are you thinking to yourself, "Is this still Song A or is it Song B?". If you want to hear spine chilling segues and improv, listen to the Disco Biscuits. If you want to hear southern rock comprised of competent song structures and decent vocals, listen to WSP. I would consider WSP as much of a jamband as My Morning Jacket or Metallica.
jimmyhoops wrote: Of course they are southern rock in the sense that they come from the south. But to think that they fall within the record company rule of a sub 4 minute song is ludicrous.
Panic is a southern rock band, I don't think that they would have any problem with that label either. Also, who said anything about Widespread Panic following a 'sub 4 minute song' rule? Quit making assumptions or incorrectly paraphrasing what I'm saying. Never did I state that WSP or Southern Rock bands in general followed this '4 minute rule' of which you speak.
jimmyhoops wrote: Anyone who would not describe Panic as a jam band doesn't know what they are talking about! PERIOD!

If you don't like Panic then just say so. Spewing that they lack the essence of "Jam" is being just downright ignorant of their music!
Trust me, I'm familiar enough with WSP to know what I'm talking about. You are also incorrectly assuming that I don't like Panic or have something against them. I don't understand why you think not being considered a jamband has a negative connotation attached to it. Most people would probably look at that as a positive. I'm guessing that you are in your early 20's (maybe mid 20's) and probably started seeing Panic sometime during McConnell's stint? (McPanic)
jojobadass
Art God

Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:16 am

panic is nasty and dirty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsn9G79CqyY

they are like a grinding old freight train rollin' right over you.
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:24 am

jojobadass wrote:panic is nasty and dirty.

I always thought it was funny that a majority of WSP fans use as a determining factor as to how good a setlist was by the number of covers that were played. That should tell you something about your band when the highlight of the show is when they are playing someone elses music :lol:
jojobadass
Art God

Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:55 am

most of the best bands ever are also some of the best cover bands........it goes hand in hand
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:16 am

jojobadass wrote:most of the best bands ever are also some of the best cover bands........it goes hand in hand
Your statement doesn't really address the point that I was getting at, but that's OK... I was kidding for the most part. However, having said that, I do find some truth behind my initial statement.
jimmyhoops
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:17 am

cadeallaw wrote:
jimmyhoops wrote: I would definately beg to differ. They have a magnificent improvosational style much like the Grateful Dead or Phish. Any band who can wrap one song into another without pause is definately a jam band in my opinion. I don't know how you could say they don't "jam" when they have some songs that stretch for over 15 minutes with "teases" of other songs in their repretoir thrown in for good measure.
You are silly. Song A> Guitar Solo > Song A does not count as a 'jam'. Also, if the instrumental part of the song is precomposed, I don't count that as a 'jam' either. Not that WSP doesn't have their strong suits, but full band improvisation is not one of them. Also, WSP 'segues' are mostly pretty abrupt. Never during a WSP transition are you thinking to yourself, "Is this still Song A or is it Song B?". If you want to hear spine chilling segues and improv, listen to the Disco Biscuits. If you want to hear southern rock comprised of competent song structures and decent vocals, listen to WSP. I would consider WSP as much of a jamband as My Morning Jacket or Metallica.
jimmyhoops wrote: Of course they are southern rock in the sense that they come from the south. But to think that they fall within the record company rule of a sub 4 minute song is ludicrous.
Panic is a southern rock band, I don't think that they would have any problem with that label either. Also, who said anything about Widespread Panic following a 'sub 4 minute song' rule? Quit making assumptions or incorrectly paraphrasing what I'm saying. Never did I state that WSP or Southern Rock bands in general followed this '4 minute rule' of which you speak.
jimmyhoops wrote: Anyone who would not describe Panic as a jam band doesn't know what they are talking about! PERIOD!

Trust me, I'm familiar enough with WSP to know what I'm talking about. You are also incorrectly assuming that I don't like Panic or have something against them. I don't understand why you think not being considered a jamband has a negative connotation attached to it. Most people would probably look at that as a positive. I'm guessing that you are in your early 20's (maybe mid 20's) and probably started seeing Panic sometime during McConnell's stint? (McPanic)

You are out of your gourd and clearly mistaken. I'm approaching 40 (although I'll dance any 20 year old into the ground) and have been on 5 complete tours and have seen over 250 panic shows since the 90's. I even sold t-shirts in the lot on one tour...much to the disapproval of Brown Cat.

And if you take a peek at my panic poster collection, you will see that I am more than just a casual observer of their music and am the definition of FAN, ie. 'fan'atic. I think that the term jam band is a very appropriate term for Panic as well as all the other bands I have chased for the last two decades or so.

If you asked my friends "what kind of music does jimmy like?" They would probably say that he only knows of two kinds..."Widespread Panic and the Grateful Dead?" Of course, I would respond...you mean there are other bands out there? Ha, Ha, Ha...just kidding! But after attending 8 Nola Jazz Festivals and more hippie oriented/jam band oriented music festivals then I can shake a stick at, I think I know my music. But after chasing many bands for a period of time, I only found one band on tour today that I would move mountains for and travel coast-to-coast for...and that band continues to be Widespread Panic!

And what would you consider a "true jam band" to be? You go to great lengths to disprove a band's formula for their music as "not being jam worthy" but haven't taken a moment to define what a jam band is to you. And personally I don't take offense to the term as some people and even some bands like to do. I think it's a badge of honor that states that a band has an improvizatonal style that some just don't get and others can't get enough of.

The Disco Biscuts...ha, ha, ha...you gotta be joking! Maybe one day they will be able to sell out Red Rocks for three days straight within 5 minutes....but then again, maybe they won't! Actually, I know that they will never gain the accolade of selling out 30 Red Rocks shows in a row over a 10 year period. But if hanging out with a bunch of 20 somethings on E is your thing, then you have found the right band for you!

I'll admit that I am biased toward Panic...but I think you should define what a jam band is to you before you start making seriously flawed analysis of what one is without ever taking a moment to define what you mean. At this point, I will just agree to disagree with you. You won't convince me otherwise and clearly I won't convince you either.

But my tour days aren't over...I've only taken a short break to pursue my current career. I hope to be retired in about three years and the first thing on my "to do" list is get back on tour.
Last edited by jimmyhoops on Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
jojobadass
Art God

Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:19 am

cadeallaw wrote:
jojobadass wrote:most of the best bands ever are also some of the best cover bands........it goes hand in hand
Your statement doesn't really address the point that I was getting at, but that's OK... I was kidding for the most part. However, having said that, I do find some truth behind my initial statement.
people like covers.........whatelse do you want me to say.

jimmyhoops
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:21 am

jojobadass wrote:panic is nasty and dirty.

Couldn't agree with you more! They are the best band on tour today, in my opinion!
jimmyhoops
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:24 am

jojobadass wrote:
cadeallaw wrote:
people like covers.........whatelse do you want me to say.

I think that some of the "covers" that Panic does are better than the originals! Case in point is James Taylors' "Knockin' round the zoo", Geroge Clinton's "Red hot mama" & Winston Reilly's "Arlene"...among MANY others! :clap:
jojobadass
Art God

Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:28 am

ain't no use, papa legba, guilded splinters for me.

jimmyhoops
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:30 am

jojobadass wrote:ain't no use, papa legba, guilded splinters for me.

All top notch! There are very few bands who play The Meter's "Ain't no use" although I did get a rare version of it several weekends ago by Leftover Salmon when they played their Halloween show at the Fillmore in Denver. Very cool, but Panic's version is definately cooler!