Splash 08 Grafter

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
maxine
Art Expert

Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:56 pm

AKBAPE wrote:Where is her right leg? I love this piece despite that obvious flaw.
Your obvious flaw is not obvious to me. I see two legs.
AKBAPE
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:01 pm

maxine wrote:
AKBAPE wrote:Where is her right leg? I love this piece despite that obvious flaw.
Is that how you would shade a leg if you were doing this piece? Mind you I have never done any stenciling so I have no idea if that's the only way it can be done but to me it just looks.....weird. Maybe the issue is just the white background. Either way I think it's a flaw in an otherwise fantastic piece.
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:03 pm

AKBAPE wrote:Where is her right leg? I love this piece despite that obvious flaw. That said, there are other street artists out there that I believe are as 'self-made' and talented as Grafter is. In particular I wish that Eelus, Dolk, or even Pobel would get a little more recognition on this board. I missed out on Eelus' recent POW release and have been slamming my head against a desk ever since.
I'd say that Dolk and Eelus (Dolk more so than Eelus) gets a decent amount of recognition around EB. I would have really enjoyed to pick up Eelus- The Good the Bad and the Moon from POW recently:
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:05 pm

someone sell this to me!
angus3102
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:06 pm

AKBAPE wrote:
maxine wrote:
Is that how you would shade a leg if you were doing this piece? Mind you I have never done any stenciling so I have no idea if that's the only way it can be done but to me it just looks.....weird. Maybe the issue is just the white background. Either way I think it's a flaw in an otherwise fantastic piece.

This is an amazing piece and in person (where art should be admired), your "flaw" disappears. The main issue is how thin the black line is from white background to white foot.
angus3102
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:07 pm

mr_rugby wrote:someone sell this to me!
what version are you looking for and how much will you pay?
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:09 pm

angus3102 wrote:
mr_rugby wrote:someone sell this to me!
what version are you looking for and how much will you pay?
White and PM me with details..
Subtle
Art Expert

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:21 pm

AKBAPE wrote:
maxine wrote:

you're trippin'. the shading is perfect! The sun is coming directly behind over the back, left leg is underneath the body, and the right leg slightly sticking out (hence the sun exposure).
Codeblue wrote:Nevermind, I confused myself.
kingofprussia
Art Expert

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:22 pm

i see the right leg quite clearly. the left side of the right leg is in the light and the front of her right leg is in the shadows. the light is also hitting her right ankle and top of her foot. her left leg is shadowed.
angus3102
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:49 pm

I think Fairey stole his Obama design from Grafter. Here's the proof:

Subtle
Art Expert

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:55 pm

i can still see the foot fine.
Codeblue wrote:Nevermind, I confused myself.
AKBAPE
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:11 pm

Everyone is acting like I think its a fatal flaw. All I'm saying is that I think it's not perfect. I know feet are incredibly hard to do in stencils so maybe this was the best out of every option. What's frustrating is that the blue and red ones are more visually interesting and better executed but the white one is more conceptually interesting IMO. Here is another image that I think is absolutely fantastic. It has the same problem though. In this case the legs seem to disappear. Does it ruin the image? No. Everybody can find something that bothers them about almost anyone piece of art. For this particular piece the right leg looks weird to me.

lazk
Art Expert

Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:14 pm

Hold up....

Get in line for the regular White w/ Red Splash lol

There is a FEW of us wanting to obtain one.

If ANYONE knows where or how to obtain one, please let me know via PM.

Cade is also looking and should get first dibs...

Kyle
T.K.C.
tranito
Art Expert

Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:45 pm

Good luck to all of you guys. I'd be all over it if it wasn't for what's coming in soon in the mail... :twisted:
How many of you guys intend to frame this one and are you thinking hand painted splashes on the frame like the crazy job from Mr. UKframer (can't recall his proper name..)?? I want to extend the idea to my Flash print too... and I'm thinking doing it myself...
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
sogr8ful
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:45 pm

For those looking to purchase the white/red on paper - check the Banksy forum - I know Grafter sold quite a few of the original lot on there...finding someone willing to give theirs up might be tough but probably worth a shot.