All Points West Jersey City 08 EMEK

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
mbrennan
Art Expert

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:06 pm

q4t

this is officially too far - the things are collecitbles - they are supposed to gain value not be crazy right off the bat
boatingbenny wrote:
Staunchy wrote:
walterfredo wrote:
mbrennan wrote:festival posters are pricey now ....

who wants to trade for a rothbuy?
only emek festival posters are. $90 is ridiculous.
Ridiculous!! I hope this festival flops and someone spills there beer on the whole print run.
:iagree:
edgar
Art Expert

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:08 pm

boatingbenny wrote:
Staunchy wrote:
walterfredo wrote:
mbrennan wrote:festival posters are pricey now ....

who wants to trade for a rothbuy?
only emek festival posters are. $90 is ridiculous.
Ridiculous!! I hope this festival flops and someone spills there beer on the whole print run.
:iagree:
weatherman now says it's pouring out there now...most of the run will be ruined i'd guess.
Grateful69Phish wrote:anybody this stupid doesn't become naturally intelligent!
boatingbenny
Art Expert

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:12 pm

Well after Coachella (and I think APW are the same promoters) I imagine they are just trying to cut out the middle market right off the bat. If this high price deters people from buying stacks then it is mission acomplished. However, if they are left with a stack at the end of the festival then someone is going to be eating crow!! Rothbury sold out @ $85 but maybe the lack of after market interest will cause people to think twice about buying 20 at a time.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:19 pm

Looks like the last Coachella was the last hoorah.
pewter14
EB Team

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:19 pm

The question is, did EMEK raise his fee, or is it Goldenvoice trying to capitalize on the poster buyers?

I understand trying to keep the money out of the flippers hands, I'm all for it ... but there are a lot of people that go to these festivals that break the bank just to get tickets for $250-300 or so ... then to squeeze them for $90 a poster? sheesh.

If it *is* a flipper deterant, then they should institute a strict limit, not raise the price.
hitmewithposters
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:27 pm

piomba wrote:
hitmewithposters wrote:who really cares, only the same core group will be able to nab them anyways right :wink:

bottom line..lighten up people, its only ink and paper right?
ummm, i thought this forum was meant to be a place to discuss these things... so we shouldn't care and we shouldn't talk about our impressions of the work... my friend and i are simply creating conversation about the piece. care to contribute?
my statements were clearly tongue in cheek...a few people have griped recently that certain people always get emek pieces each and every time there is a release, usually muptiple of the normal, then one of every variant. So i was just saying what I've heard others say before...to be silly really...hence the wink at the end

the second statement I certainly stand behind, I for the life of me do not understand when people miss out on a sale and get worked up, or argue over this is the best poster vs this is the worst poster...to each his/her own, we all have different tastes, no way in hell will a poster appeal to everyone.

And the saying I use all the time...its only ink and paper goes a long way to keeping your sanity in the poster collecting world.

I for one like the piece, I mean who doesn't like eyeballs and octopus sea monsters? Does it matter if its recycled? hell no, some of our most beloved posters recycle images and we gobble them up..Does it matter that there is a difference in perceived image quality from the original to the current rendition? I say no, different mediums, so it is what it is and enjoy it for what it is I guess too.
mbrennan
Art Expert

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:28 pm

q4t

although it is more of a jealousy/envy/greed $$$ thing with the flipping not so much a deterant
pewter14 wrote:The question is, did EMEK raise his fee, or is it Goldenvoice trying to capitalize on the poster buyers?

I understand trying to keep the money out of the flippers hands, I'm all for it ... but there are a lot of people that go to these festivals that break the bank just to get tickets for $250-300 or so ... then to squeeze them for $90 a poster? sheesh.

If it *is* a flipper deterant, then they should institute a strict limit, not raise the price.
edgar
Art Expert

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:35 pm

pewter14 wrote:The question is, did EMEK raise his fee, or is it Goldenvoice trying to capitalize on the poster buyers?

Great post.
$90 is too much for a concert souvenir.
I see T SHIRTS and hoodies selling in the $80-$100 range sometimes and cringe.

On the flip side, doesn't it cost $80-$90 to buy a poster (with s/h) from Emek these days?
Grateful69Phish wrote:anybody this stupid doesn't become naturally intelligent!
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:37 pm

Only if that's how much they were at the festival.
jojobadass
Art God

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:49 pm

take a look at NOLA jazz fest poster prices..........these are cheap compared to those. And other than the blue dog dude, the jazz fest posters are made by a bunch of hacks.
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
jojobadass
Art God

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:52 pm

I take that back, Michalopoulos is good too.
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:56 pm

Is that your final answer?
jojobadass
Art God

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:57 pm

Codeblue wrote:Is that your final answer?

Paul Rogers is Ok.

mbrennan
Art Expert

Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:01 pm

very different crowd buying those posters I think ... mostly

I have been to jazz fest 5 times and do not own 1 official jazz fest poster
sabotage
Art Expert

Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:05 pm

edgar wrote:

Great post.
$90 is too much for a concert souvenir.
I see T SHIRTS and hoodies selling in the $80-$100 range sometimes and cringe.

On the flip side, doesn't it cost $80-$90 to buy a poster (with s/h) from Emek these days?
I'd say this probably a 6 color screen print (from my untrained eye) which costs close to $10 a print and I don't know if that price includes the price of the paper or not (jojo, maybe you can help me here), then with GoldenVoice getting their cut which I bet is $20 per poster its a little more reasonable. Still any Emek will sell for $200 at least on Ebay, so I'm all for artists getting their due. Why shouldnt they be charging "market value"?