AOR 2.183 Trip Or Freak Winterland 67

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:31 pm

This topic is dedicated to: AOR 2.183 Trip Or Freak Winterland 67

recycler
Art Expert

Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:04 am

New Edition (litho) up at dead.net

kind of pricey @ 525
franklinstowr
Flipper

Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:55 am

Afew years ago, I believe this wpiece was available as a silkscreen , complete with the black border and doodles. pirce was $400 if I recall
fluffhead13
Art Expert

Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:49 am

recycler wrote:New Edition (litho) up at dead.net

kind of pricey @ 525
the prcie was 500. looks like they raised it 25 bones
macc5
EB Team

Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:13 am

those doodles are a bit much...
jojobadass
Art God

Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:19 am

I traded one of these to judy gex a long time ago.
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
jojobadass
Art God

Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:25 am

kind of pricey @ 525
that's one of the 1991 silkscreens..........it had two or three editions. The regular run was a full bleed of orange to the edge which was signed and numbered. Then there was the remarked one w/ the black border that had the doodles.
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
sschmotz
Art Connoisseur

Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:43 am

jojobadass wrote:

kind of pricey @ 525
that's one of the 1991 silkscreens..........it had two or three editions. The regular run was a full bleed of orange to the edge which was signed and numbered. Then there was the remarked one w/ the black border that had the doodles.
I've got the full bleed version that's signed and numbered hanging up in my loft and it's awesome, my nephew the other day said it looks scary, I wanted to laugh

So the black border version, it says the signatures/doodles are printed on there so these were probably done after Griffin died. I'm sure it looks cool but I'd prefer one without the big black border.
macc5
EB Team

Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:07 pm

i have the 2nd from 91.. its the full bleed and signed by mouse and kelley

its really nice.. and huge
brewer247
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:32 pm

Do the mods need to add another edition of this print? Seems like, after reading here, that there are more versions than are currently listed. Anybody know for sure?
How to Pack and Ship a Poster.............
http://www.expressobeans.com/wiki/index ... ing_Prints
LynneAndDan
New User

Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:06 pm

macc5 wrote:i have the 2nd from 91.. its the full bleed and signed by mouse and kelley

its really nice.. and huge
We have this one too... beautiful!
automator
Nobody

Sat May 23, 2009 3:14 am

New image AOR 2.183 Trip Or Freak SF 67 Griffin Kelley Mouse
Signed by Mouse

automator
Nobody

Sat May 23, 2009 3:15 am

Signed by Mouse

automator
Nobody

Mon May 25, 2009 7:51 pm

OP-1
Image courtesy auction.sixtiesposters.com.

BLBcomics
Art Enthusiast

Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:04 pm

A fellow collector turned me on to this EB Forum recently. Have been out of the poster trip for a while.

Let me intro myself if it is OK. My name is Robert Beerbohm. I was Rick Griffin's exclusive art agent that year before he died, and orchestrated a Rick Griffin art gallery in The Cannery at Fisherman's Wharf, San Fran, back in 1991 with a place called Best Comics & Rock Art Gallery. Rick's untimely death caused all manner of confusion in and around the aftermath of his demise.

RE THE 1991 TRIP OR FREAK EDITION

1) There was a 1000 copy "normal" edition which was to be simply signed by Rick Griffin, Alton Kelley and Stanley Mouse

2) There was a 250 "remarque" edition with a black border, larger at the bottom a bit

These were silk screened with each color by Lori Arealenes (SP ???) who was located around San Rafael, Calif - he was the master printer for the area all the artists used

A couple days before Rick's tragic demise in that motorcycle accident, the three artists gathered in the gallery for what was supposed to be an "art-fest" of signing and drawing on the prints. Alton numbered them all and signed away; he was a consummate professional in that regard; Stanley signed and drew on less that day, this was still pre-op time for him, so he was not doing as well.

Rick, on the other hand, being the grasshopper in this passion play, signed maybe 60 of the normal edition and drew on all of two of them that day. Rick had met a new girl while at the beach surfing off Marin County and wanted to get back with her, saying he would come back in later to draw on more of them. As we all know, his accident was August 15, he died a few days later in a Santa Rosa hospital. He never regained consciousness. The road rash had exposed his brain, yet he refused to pass on. they pulled the plugs on him when his brain wave activity got too low, so the doctor told me.

At the time of his death, the first advert appeared in CITY MAGAZINE which came out literally the day before Rick had his accident. The issue with his "pearly gates" full page art as this was a special ORACLE issue, psychedelic special. In the beginning of the issue was a full page advert from Best Comics & Rock Art gallery proudly announcing the beginning of a "new" era in this poster collecting world

1) Best Comics and Rock Art Gallery had just completed negotiations with Apple Records to do a special 2000 edition silk screen of Wes Wilson's last Beatles concert poster at Candlestick.

2) Plus we advertised same issue doing a edition of Rick's WHO poster from Hollywood with the giant bug holding the earth;

3) In addition, we were going to be reprinting Mouse & Kelley's Grateful Dead first album insert poster. I had come across an unfolded copy of it, so we could get a great clear shot of it for Lori to work off of. This was to be a 2000 copy edition signed & numbered by the artists. Things were looking great up to this point.

4) Plus Trip or Freak being one of the rarest posters out there. The urban legend goes the acid dealers of the day had been cutting this bright orange poster's little Lon Chaney heads up for blotter sheets. It remains one of the most difficult posters to acquire, especially in any kind of high grade.

I had suggested to Rick, then Mouse & Kelly, and the rest of the artists as they contacted us wanting into the gallery, that we go to "war" with Grateful Dead, and various certain promoters, that these artists deserved certain rights pertaining to reprinting their iconic art images for concert posters done decades before for peanuts. A revival of Artists Rights Today of sorts.

The first one out of the starting block was TRIP OR FREAK.

Our company folded up following the untimely passing of Rick Griffin. I am working on a book of the last two years of Rick's life. I hope to finish it pretty soon. It's been 18 years now since i lost my friend i first met in 1973 when he came in my then comic book store on Telegraph Ave in Berkeley called Comics & Comix. He had come up to pick up the art from TALES FROM THE TUBE, which the Print Mint had just published their edition of the Surfer magazine insert. I traded him for the cover. Wish i still had it........

FAST FORWARD SOME YEARS

Former partner Ed Walker contacted me saying he had arranged with Grateful Dead to buy all the copies of Trip Or Freak we had remaining and were willing to pay a fair price. He sold them every version he had; i sold them most of mine, kicking back my copy out of the two Rick had actually drawn on and a couple other copies.

The two drawings Rick made on the two remarque Trip or Freak prints were the very last drawings Rick ever made before the accident.

There are the actual Best Comics & Rick Art Gallery "real" signature and drawing versions, of which there are approx 60 RG sigs and only two actually drawn by Rick

Then there is the edition Grateful Dead Merch issued some years later which contains real Mouse and Kelly sigs plus a special Rick Griffin sig printed on it by Lori, if i remember correctly; the remarque edition Grateful Dead issued has the Rick Griffin gold sharpie drawing RG had done which Ed Walker had ended up with when we parted company

I still have my "original" with Rick's last drawing on it, a beaut of a nude woman, am contemplating selling this "one of a kind" Trip Or Freak poster soon to help cover expenses towards getting to India as i need hip joint replacement operations. America costs too damn much to afford, hence, to India where stuff like this is actually almost affordable.

To sum up, this site actually needs to list both the "normal" version as well as the remarque edition as they were actually two separate printing runs by Lori.

There is a lot more to this story, but i have run out of time right this sec to write more,
mayhaps some one reading this has a query or two on some aspect i inadvertently left out

- would be happy to respond so this poster gets properly sorted and laid out for posterity as this is a neat site for tracking this type of activity.

best

Robert Beerbohm

Robert Beerbohm Comic Art
PO Box 507 Fremont NE 68026
http://www.BLBcomics.com
eBaystore: BLB COMICS
ComicConnect http://www.comicconnect.com/?surl=19464
http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/publi ... 2&ai=81492
01 402 727 4071 mostly 9 AM to 6 PM daily - Or Leave a message
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYyttEu_ ... re=relateß