Protect Yourself Obey Giant 08 Orr

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
ryan_1969

Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:11 pm

Catarax wrote:
ryan_1969 wrote:
Catarax wrote:this is stupid... why is it that people who don't like someone find it necessary to be drawn to what he does and doesn't do?

wouldn't you all be better off wasting your time on things that are more important?
you could say the same thing about your post. wouldn't you be better off wasting you time on things of more importance? ....like not worrying about what other people care about? :lol:
I'm just trying to get away from the bashing and get more to the art... I really could careless about people gripes with artists, what they do, who they do, where they do it, how they do it.. blah blah blah... it's frivolous...
i know, just poking you with a stick. :P peace out.
Catarax
Art Expert

Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:26 pm

You know what they say about sticks.... :twisted:
sixstringer wrote: I don't care how they look...I just want to pop off the top and huff the tube!
iratasan
Flipper

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:28 pm

Catarax wrote:You know what they say about sticks.... :twisted:
that they perfectly fit in asses? ;)
*****adap*****
Art Expert

Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:18 pm

Just wonedring if all is true about the Love Letter OBEY wrote to BAX why is BAX still selling it?
baxterpop
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:04 am

*****adap***** wrote:Just wonedring if all is true about the Love Letter OBEY wrote to BAX why is BAX still selling it?
Considering I got the PR release emailed to me from 3 different sources as well as got a response from Shepard it is true. I have personally lost all respect for Obey Giant and Shepard Fairey through this and will not be giving them another dime but do hope they pursue this further as I am right in this.
guyforget
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:32 am

Nice bump. :roll:

But you still wont have an intelligent conversation here. Whatever. I see where your motivation lie$.

guyforget wrote:I, at least, appreciate the insight, even if I disagree w/ parts of your point, Baxter. Thanks.
baxterpop wrote:Part of the point I am trying to make is that underground movements like this get so big over time that:

1) they lose their meaning (aka get watered down) so the idea of the mask is the idea of Protecting Andre or keeping him alive and not having him end up on a cereal box or a road bike, oh wait :roll:
So... to keep Andre from getting "watered down" you've mocked him in print, and released this print as an open edition? And this "protects" this iconic image somehow?

baxterpop wrote:2) The Obey Giant movement has gotten so big and its because it is built on this idea that you are a part of it. If you are really part of this thing why cant you make (and sell) your own stuff based around it? Isnt it about the movement? are you not part of it? where is the line? If shepard built an art commune how many people would quit their jobs and show up, I guarantee at least 50 people, and that is pretty damn scary.
You lose me w/ the "(and sell)" thing. Im with ya on the rest of it, and Im sure Shepard isnt sending out C&D's to people downloading the Andre stencils and tagging it around their towns. I seriously doubt that he'd be sending you a C&D if youd made a huge stencil of your Andre w/ the SARS mask and put this image up somewhere in LA or SF on a building for all to see. But you lose me when you say you think you have a right to profit from this work. I just cant buy that, as someone who makes a living off of my creative integrity, not unlike yourself. And then you say that this is a statement about the exploitation or watering down of the imagery. Seems contradictory to me...
baxterpop wrote:this is my last comment on here, too much drama, dont need it....
baxterpop wrote: never thought I would get this much press for it. My site has gotten like 5,000 hits this week. :lol:
Maybe you dont need it, but youre surely benefiting from it. I dont think you should rule out discussing your work here, you just should ignore the trolls. I feel like Im trying to be polite and constructive here, I have no problem coming to a respectable "agree to disagree."
pjtaper wrote: I'm glad EMEK knows I'm not a flipper
iratasan
Flipper

Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:21 pm

at least not with you i guess. your insults aren't very inviting to take you seriously or start an actual conversation.
guyforget wrote:Nice bump. :roll:

But you still wont have an intelligent conversation here. Whatever. I see where your motivation lie$.

guyforget wrote:I, at least, appreciate the insight, even if I disagree w/ parts of your point, Baxter. Thanks.
baxterpop wrote:Part of the point I am trying to make is that underground movements like this get so big over time that:

1) they lose their meaning (aka get watered down) so the idea of the mask is the idea of Protecting Andre or keeping him alive and not having him end up on a cereal box or a road bike, oh wait :roll:
So... to keep Andre from getting "watered down" you've mocked him in print, and released this print as an open edition? And this "protects" this iconic image somehow?

baxterpop wrote:2) The Obey Giant movement has gotten so big and its because it is built on this idea that you are a part of it. If you are really part of this thing why cant you make (and sell) your own stuff based around it? Isnt it about the movement? are you not part of it? where is the line? If shepard built an art commune how many people would quit their jobs and show up, I guarantee at least 50 people, and that is pretty damn scary.
You lose me w/ the "(and sell)" thing. Im with ya on the rest of it, and Im sure Shepard isnt sending out C&D's to people downloading the Andre stencils and tagging it around their towns. I seriously doubt that he'd be sending you a C&D if youd made a huge stencil of your Andre w/ the SARS mask and put this image up somewhere in LA or SF on a building for all to see. But you lose me when you say you think you have a right to profit from this work. I just cant buy that, as someone who makes a living off of my creative integrity, not unlike yourself. And then you say that this is a statement about the exploitation or watering down of the imagery. Seems contradictory to me...
baxterpop wrote:this is my last comment on here, too much drama, dont need it....
baxterpop wrote: never thought I would get this much press for it. My site has gotten like 5,000 hits this week. :lol:
Maybe you dont need it, but youre surely benefiting from it. I dont think you should rule out discussing your work here, you just should ignore the trolls. I feel like Im trying to be polite and constructive here, I have no problem coming to a respectable "agree to disagree."
guyforget
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:57 am

Whats insulting about my post, iratasan? I may be making critical remarks, but Im not insulting anyone here. I didnt even use any profanity in my post.

Basically, iratasan, piss off. When I get to insulting, youll know it.
iratasan
Flipper

Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:20 am

guyforget wrote:Whats insulting about my post, iratasan? I may be making critical remarks, but Im not insulting anyone here. I didnt even use any profanity in my post.

thank you for your constructive answer deltasigchi4, oh wait i mean guyforget.
guyforget
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:32 pm

iratasan wrote:
guyforget wrote:Whats insulting about my post, iratasan? I may be making critical remarks, but Im not insulting anyone here. I didnt even use any profanity in my post.

If my posts are insulting, theyre at least veiled. You gotta just bust out the name calling. Nice. I havent gotten to that in this thread, but thanks for opening the door. :roll:
iratasan
Flipper

Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:39 pm

guyforget wrote:
iratasan wrote:

If my posts are insulting, theyre at least veiled. You gotta just bust out the name calling. Nice. I havent gotten to that in this thread, but thanks for opening the door. :roll:
ok, if you are really willing to discuss this piece i dare you to start stating your interpretation of it without falling into a senseless rent like you did the first time. argue your critisism. positive as well as negative feedback is welcome, as long as it is grounded and adult in any way.
guyforget
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:47 pm

I love it. The guy doing the petty name calling is daring me to post like an adult.

Get over yourself, iratasan. I was trying to discuss the piece of art that this thread is about with the person who designed it. If you dont like my "tone," its your problem. At least my posts are on topic.
iratasan
Flipper

Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:55 pm

guyforget wrote:I love it. The guy doing the petty name calling is daring me to post like an adult.

Get over yourself, iratasan. I was trying to discuss the piece of art that this thread is about with the person who designed it. If you dont like my "tone," its your problem. At least my posts are on topic.
yep, really seemed like you tried to "discuss" it with him. i don't have a problem with your tone. everybody himself is responsible for the impression he wants to make on others. social skills are not for everybody's taste.
guyforget
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:01 pm

Quite frankly, iratasan, I cant see whats 'senseless' or 'ranting' about either of my posts in this thread before you busted out the name calling. Baxter did reply to my post, he must not have thought it too absurd or insulting. I have implored him to reply to my second post, but he has chose to ignore me and thats that. But I dont think it has to do w/ me posting insulting senseless rants.

Much worse things have been said about the print and the artist in this thread. I dont know why you take issue w/ my posts specifically, but I will tell you that its a lost cause. Your opinion on this isnt even relevant, you cant answer my questions about the piece.

Anyway, the irony is thick in here, you're calling me insulting and accusing me of posting senseless rants, all the while senselessly ranting about my posts and insulting me by calling me names. Delightful.
guyforget wrote:
Flimby wrote:
ColdSoreSuperstar wrote:There's DEFINITELY more than one practicing this craft - they just don't get the attention that this dude is getting. What I SHOULD do with him is not say anything; ignore it like I do the rest of the "artists" that do the same thing as he. Alas, my mouth and ego get the best of me, and I say something.

If you're willing to put yourself out there and get press, attention, C&D letters, blah blah blah - which this dude was AIMING to do so that his forgettable stuff would be given a few double-takes - then you have to be willing to take the flak that comes with it.

And I'm sure he is willing. Hell, you WANT me to say this, right Bax? More comments to feed the PR machine.

(Again, note that I don't collect and/or really care for any of Shepard Fairey's work, so I'm not coming from the "I will defend Obey" standpoint.)
bingo. while i wish baxter well with his art, this piece is parody imo. if you didn't know the andre image, this piece would make no sense.

if i start an "Ahoy Matey!" series and put an eye patch on the andre face, will it get me some attention and maybe a C+D? probably. does it make great art? i think not.

baxter has potential as an artist, but this one is more about attention than creativity
This is exactly what Ive been biting my tongue over for the weeks that this has been getting attention. Its pure mockery and its not even clever.

So, whats the intention behind this piece, besides attention for Baxter? I havent found one yet...

I think some people like it because it is mockery. Some folks actually like the smart-assedness of the piece. Whatever. If spite drives you and brings you enjoyment, then I probably should feel sorry for you.

Im sure some people actually think that this is making a statement about how Shepard appropriates images and photoshops them and makes prints out of them. But we all already know this about Shepard Fairey. Its not news, and its not even new to bash him over it. Baxter has claimed to be a fan of Fairey's, so I dont see how putting out a mock image drawing attention to the whole image appropriation issue is helpful fandom.

I do collect Fairey prints. I dont collect them all. My collection is pretty concise, and centers around one theme. There are many, many more Shepard Fairey pieces that I dont like than I do like.

But, I cant compare Shepard taking this; a Chinese gov't propaganda poster that says "Government is Established by Guns!"

and turning it into this:

to what Baxter has made here. Theyve both "appropriated" images to create their own to make some sort of statement. I get the statement Shepard is trying to make there, and I think its clever, even if the art isnt "original." In the instance of Baxter here, I dont get the statement, unless the statement is "I need some attention." If the statement is "Shep appropriates images" then what is the significance of the SARS mask? How does that push the point? If that is the point, then I think you need a more clever way to establish that w/ the viewers, the SARS mask comes off as simple mockery, and the point isnt clear. As Flimby said, we could all start editions w/ Andre w/ an eyepatch, Andre w/ a doo-rag, Andre w/ a teardrop tattoo under his eye, Andre w/ a sequined gypsy hat, Andre w/ a sombrero, Andre w/ gold teeth, Andre w/ a parasol, etc, etc, etc. And, we could all claim that our intention is to expose Shepard as "unoriginal." Whoopeee, theres a hundred articles on the internet about it already. You cant say w/ a SARS mask what has already been said in type.

iratasan
Flipper

Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:12 pm

answer:
guyforget wrote:Nice bump. :roll:

yes, that really invites to an actual conversation.

plus, for your viewing pleasure:

frank, esther, anthony <- me, literally calling you names. :lol: