Protect Yourself Obey Giant 08 Orr

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
User avatar
baxterpop
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:00 am
Contact:

Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:35 am

lazk wrote:Image
that isnt art, I could do that. :lol:
User avatar
lazk
Art Expert
Posts: 5327
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:45 am
Location: Knoxville, TN

Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:48 am

nah...graffiti..Did you ask?
User avatar
pjposters3
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:00 am

Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:20 am

MJBuck wrote:I've read the viewpoints on thegiant.org and the most compelling arguement was when you google Cease & desist letter the same exact letter comes up.
Now this is a very common letter and maybe Shep's lawyers can't come up with an original thought either but it does cast some doubt as to the legititamacy of that letter.
I actually think it would be pretty funny if he went through the effort to print this, fake a C&D, and ruffle some feathers on Giant and here. Actually kind of ingenius if that's the case. Though from what he's said it doesn't seem to be.
User avatar
pjposters3
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:00 am

Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:23 am

Gigantico wrote:Do you EB members get it now? This "artist" is just a lying, self-promoting douche with a sincere jealousy for Shepard Fairey and Obey Giant. The "letter from Obey" was fake, as are the rest of his multiple personalties on this and other forums.

P.S. No need to PM me this time Baxter, I don't give a fudge what you have to say. Go ahead and bitch that I'm just some anonymous person "that couldn't do any better." What you do takes no effort and also, you suck!
It seems like you feel very personally violated by this print. Why is that?
User avatar
baxterpop
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:00 am
Contact:

Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:21 am

this is proof I need to ease up on the swearing. :lol:

http://animalnewyork.com/news/2008/04/s ... -to-su.php
Gigantico
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:00 am

Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:29 am

pjposters3 wrote:
Gigantico wrote:Do you EB members get it now? This "artist" is just a lying, self-promoting douche with a sincere jealousy for Shepard Fairey and Obey Giant. The "letter from Obey" was fake, as are the rest of his multiple personalties on this and other forums.

P.S. No need to PM me this time Baxter, I don't give a fudge what you have to say. Go ahead and bitch that I'm just some anonymous person "that couldn't do any better." What you do takes no effort and also, you suck!
It seems like you feel very personally violated by this print. Why is that?
Nah, just exposing a fraud, I'm done now though. Thanks for caring. :roll:
ryan_1969

Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:05 am

Gigantico wrote:
pjposters3 wrote:
Gigantico wrote:Do you EB members get it now? This "artist" is just a lying, self-promoting douche with a sincere jealousy for Shepard Fairey and Obey Giant. The "letter from Obey" was fake, as are the rest of his multiple personalties on this and other forums.

P.S. No need to PM me this time Baxter, I don't give a fudge what you have to say. Go ahead and bitch that I'm just some anonymous person "that couldn't do any better." What you do takes no effort and also, you suck!
It seems like you feel very personally violated by this print. Why is that?
Nah, just exposing a fraud, I'm done now though. Thanks for caring. :roll:
Image

bahhhh bahhhhhh bahhhhhh, obey the sheep.
Gigantico
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:00 am

Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:28 am

ryan_1969 wrote:
Gigantico wrote:
pjposters3 wrote:
Gigantico wrote:Do you EB members get it now? This "artist" is just a lying, self-promoting douche with a sincere jealousy for Shepard Fairey and Obey Giant. The "letter from Obey" was fake, as are the rest of his multiple personalties on this and other forums.

P.S. No need to PM me this time Baxter, I don't give a fudge what you have to say. Go ahead and bitch that I'm just some anonymous person "that couldn't do any better." What you do takes no effort and also, you suck!
It seems like you feel very personally violated by this print. Why is that?
Nah, just exposing a fraud, I'm done now though. Thanks for caring. :roll:

bahhhh bahhhhhh bahhhhhh, obey the sheep.
I'm a sheep for challenging Baxter? I'm not quite following you here. Think what you want about me but I haven't been sticking up for Obey, in any way, during the course of this discussion. If anyone has anything else to discuss, please shoot me a PM, as there really isn't any need for me to post any more in this thread. If you just want to talk fudge, flame me and/or avoid any of the relevant points raised, have a nice time and take a deep swallow when Baxter finishes.
ryan_1969

Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:35 am

Gigantico wrote:
ryan_1969 wrote:
Gigantico wrote:
pjposters3 wrote: It seems like you feel very personally violated by this print. Why is that?
Nah, just exposing a fraud, I'm done now though. Thanks for caring. :roll:

bahhhh bahhhhhh bahhhhhh, obey the sheep.
I'm a sheep for challenging Baxter? I'm not quite following you here. Think what you want about me but I haven't been sticking up for Obey, in any way, during the course of this discussion. If anyone has anything else to discuss, please shoot me a PM, as there really isn't any need for me to post any more in this thread. If you just want to talk fudge, flame me and/or avoid any of the relevant points raised, have a nice time and take a deep swallow when Baxter finishes.
http://www.expressobeans.com/members/wanted.php?id=9162


bah bah bah
User avatar
baxterpop
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:00 am
Contact:

Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:38 am

Gigantico wrote:
ryan_1969 wrote:
Gigantico wrote:
pjposters3 wrote: It seems like you feel very personally violated by this print. Why is that?
Nah, just exposing a fraud, I'm done now though. Thanks for caring. :roll:

bahhhh bahhhhhh bahhhhhh, obey the sheep.
I'm a sheep for challenging Baxter? I'm not quite following you here. Think what you want about me but I haven't been sticking up for Obey, in any way, during the course of this discussion. If anyone has anything else to discuss, please shoot me a PM, as there really isn't any need for me to post any more in this thread. If you just want to talk fudge, flame me and/or avoid any of the relevant points raised, have a nice time and take a deep swallow when Baxter finishes.
how are you challenging me, you make up blatant lies about me to try to destroy my credibility when you wont even expose who you really are, what you do, or where you are from. So in my mind you are some 40 year old living in your momma's basement. You spend your days sitting around watching Who's The Boss and eating Cheetos with your laptop resting on your sweat-pant covered lap posting on internet forums all day.

You are anonymous and have no credibility whatsoever.
User avatar
pjposters3
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:00 am

Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:39 am

Gigantico wrote:
pjposters3 wrote:
Gigantico wrote:Do you EB members get it now? This "artist" is just a lying, self-promoting douche with a sincere jealousy for Shepard Fairey and Obey Giant. The "letter from Obey" was fake, as are the rest of his multiple personalties on this and other forums.

P.S. No need to PM me this time Baxter, I don't give a fudge what you have to say. Go ahead and bitch that I'm just some anonymous person "that couldn't do any better." What you do takes no effort and also, you suck!
It seems like you feel very personally violated by this print. Why is that?
Nah, just exposing a fraud, I'm done now though. Thanks for caring. :roll:
I honestly wasn't being backhanded or sarcastic - it just feels like you are coming at this like he had made a personal attack on you. Was curious why it bothered you so much.

We all fight our battles for our own reasons. Was interested in your motivation.
ryan_1969

Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:44 am

pjposters3 wrote:
Gigantico wrote:
pjposters3 wrote:
Gigantico wrote:Do you EB members get it now? This "artist" is just a lying, self-promoting douche with a sincere jealousy for Shepard Fairey and Obey Giant. The "letter from Obey" was fake, as are the rest of his multiple personalties on this and other forums.

P.S. No need to PM me this time Baxter, I don't give a fudge what you have to say. Go ahead and bitch that I'm just some anonymous person "that couldn't do any better." What you do takes no effort and also, you suck!
It seems like you feel very personally violated by this print. Why is that?
Nah, just exposing a fraud, I'm done now though. Thanks for caring. :roll:
I honestly wasn't being backhanded or sarcastic - it just feels like you are coming at this like he had made a personal attack on you. Was curious why it bothered you so much.

We all fight our battles for our own reasons. Was interested in your motivation.
isn't it ironic that one of sheps dicksuckers would talk about exposing a fraud? irony at it's best.
User avatar
djpubbs
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 929
Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Rock Ridge

Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:38 am

admonkey wrote:In order for Shepard to maintain control of his copyright of the Icon image and the words "OBEY GIANT," he is forced, by copyright law, to enforce all violations OF the copyright. Otherwise, he vacates his hold on the image and the slogan.

Had Shepard NOT enforced his copyright and left the bones to the vultures, should an artist with some degree of actual talent appropriate the image and slogan in the future, generating real revenue (and not just self-promotion) from it, Shepard and his crew would have had their legal legs cut from under them.
...sorry to stir the pot, but this is just so not true/accurate!
iratasan wrote:a wise man once said "you know that you have a problem when you start hanging pictures at door knob height."
User avatar
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much
Posts: 52081
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans

Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:55 am

Daaamn slapped by a real life lawyer.
mcgod
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 779
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:00 am

Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:03 pm

djpubbs wrote:
admonkey wrote:In order for Shepard to maintain control of his copyright of the Icon image and the words "OBEY GIANT," he is forced, by copyright law, to enforce all violations OF the copyright. Otherwise, he vacates his hold on the image and the slogan.

Had Shepard NOT enforced his copyright and left the bones to the vultures, should an artist with some degree of actual talent appropriate the image and slogan in the future, generating real revenue (and not just self-promotion) from it, Shepard and his crew would have had their legal legs cut from under them.
...sorry to stir the pot, but this is just so not true/accurate!
Sorry to contradict you, but this is actually a good description of how copyrights have to be enforced to preserve their protection. If they are not enforced IN ALL INSTANCES (even minor ones), the protection the copyright initially provided is eroded in a practical sense (meaning it's much tougher to prosecute for infringment later). If you know of another setup somewhere, feel free to provide it, but I deal with this stuff too much to not be up on it.

Whether it applies to fairey etc is irrelevant to me.
Last edited by mcgod on Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Post Reply