The Cure Los Angeles 23 Emek

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Tue May 23, 2023 7:23 pm

This topic is dedicated to: The Cure Los Angeles 23 Emek

turnJBup
Art Freak

Tue May 23, 2023 7:24 pm

Nice!
Emek goes with A Forest.
The good stuff.
Those 1st two albums are spectacular.
Cmock
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 23, 2023 8:14 pm

turnJBup wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 7:24 pm
Nice!
Emek goes with A Forest.
The good stuff.
Those 1st two albums are spectacular.
Disintegration is amazing start to finish
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Tue May 23, 2023 9:54 pm

Their whole catalog is pretty drymounting solid
automator
Nobody

Tue May 23, 2023 10:04 pm

New image The Cure Los Angeles 23 Emek
2nd Edition

Greatplainsman
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 24, 2023 12:13 am

Gpoty
KipPotapych
Art Expert

Wed May 24, 2023 4:21 am

Cmock
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 24, 2023 8:25 am

Emek Artman
I try to make art that teenage me would’ve liked to have hanging on his wall, but that older me now would still like to hang on my wall. Maybe to some The Cure are a cute Love Cats type of band. (and that’s cool, Love that song- but that imagery has been done so many times)…or some folks might just think about their quirky pop sensibilities like head on the door, lovesong, etc. and that’s fine too.
After all, I live in Portland, where we have a great little food cart called "Fried Eggs I'm in Love”.
But to me, the Cure are deeper than that. They are dark and mysterious and will lead you down a labyrinth into the wild uncharted spaces deep in the forest of your emotions and imagination… yes, I like the darker fudge.
One of the first LP record albums I ever bought was the Cure: boys don’t cry. I bought it with my own chores money when it first came out. (Yes, I’m old, but not like Robert Smith old. Ha. May he live forever.) I think I was 12 years old when I bought it. I liked the art. I had such a shitty old record player I’d have to put a nickel on it just to keep the needle down. Their sound was unique and instantly took me to a beautifully haunted mental space. They were a big part of my young formative years. Good music to make art to …good music to feel things to.
I still have that early album.
But also, I’m from LA, I grew up going to the Hollywood Bowl. My parents took me there all the time. They even kept a sketchbook of drawings I did while listening to the symphony at the Bowl when I was 5 and 6. My dad actually made a few concert posters for some big events at the Bowl- and he had a 30 foot tall mural hung there. I got to go backstage and meet some bands when I was very little. That was also a big influence on me wanting to make concert posters for a living.
This poster was obviously inspired by the Cure’s first big hit when I was a kid. “A Forest”
The image came to me in a dream like most of my poster ideas do . I got offered the job and it’s a bucket list job but I was in the middle of several deadlines so I wasn’t sure if I could fit it in… But then I had the dream.. and it was so simple… but in my head, it looked cool, so I woke up and I said yes I want that job. Robert Smith said he liked my art. “It’s Fab”. That’s the highest compliment.
The song- and the poster…evoke a very cinematic feel. A big close up of Robert Smith’s iconic eyes and signature distinct hair becoming the forest with a reflection of a long lost memory. Also, maybe in the poster there’s a few other little hidden song references as well…
“come Closer and See
See into the Trees
Find the girl while you can
Come closer and see
See into the dark
Just follow your Eyes
Just follow your Eyes
I hear her voice
Calling my name
The sound is deep
In the dark
I hear her voice
And start to run
Into the trees
Suddenly I stop
But I know it's too late
I'm lost in a forest
All alone
The Girl was never there
It's always the same
I'm running towards nothing
Again and again and again and again”
-emek
Emek_Studios
A long time Cure fan, bitches
Portland Oregon
jojobadass
Art God

Wed May 24, 2023 8:35 am

people seem to like the cat posters
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
dodgers77
Art Expert

Wed May 24, 2023 9:52 am

dodgers77 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 10:17 pm
Edition size is 2000 plus a 2nd edition. Wonder if tomorrow and Thursday shows will be different color ways

Night 1 > Night 3 > Night 2
jojobadass
Art God

Wed May 24, 2023 10:45 am

should of just put all three dates on one poster
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
kansasbbq
Art God

Wed May 24, 2023 10:47 am

Agreed.
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Wed May 24, 2023 10:55 am

I will be ok finding out about the artist sale a day after it sells out on this one
clocascio
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 24, 2023 1:59 pm

Greatplainsman wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 12:13 am
Gpoty
This. I didn't even get tickets for the LA shows (ended up going to SD on Sunday . . .) but I had to snag this poster. It's perfect.
Cmock
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 24, 2023 4:03 pm

if you dont focus on the print too much its possible to confuse the top part of the print with a certain intimate part of a woman.