Kiwi 23 Crumb

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:56 pm

This topic is dedicated to: Kiwi 23 Crumb

morst
EB Team

Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:56 pm

from the email announcement:

"In 1979, Crumb released Best Buy Comics. I think Aline worked on several strips with Crumb in this comic. It was right after they married. This half-page strip Kiwi is found toward the end of that comic. I always liked this little strip, and after years (and years!) of a particular Crumb fan begging us to create this image as an edition, Crumb and I finally relented. Crumb slightly reworked the black line, but not too much as he usually does–I was surprised. Then he sent me his color rough done with water colors. We both agreed that the image should stay small. I think it's one of the smallest images we've ever published.
I printed the edition on Rives BFK cream archival paper. The image is 9" x 6.5". The paper is 15" x 13". There are 80 prints in the edition with 9 artist proofs and 3 printer proofs. 16 colors were used to print this edition which is accompanied by a certificate of authenticity. This cert will tell you which colors were used and in what order they were printed. But what's more interesting is it also contains Crumb's notes on the image and his artwork in general. I very politely and humbly asked Crumb to rewrite the second half of his copy for the certificate but he refused, basically using Popeye's motto "I yam what I yam" to justify what he wrote. I guess that works for me and it will probably work for you should you buy the print and read it yourself.
The prints were mailed to France where Robert numbered, signed and dated them in the month of January.
I want to add that Robert and I selected this image to be our next edition in the early summer of 2022, before anyone knew of Aline's condition. The fact that Robert did not acknowledge the coincidental similarity of his and the kiwi's condition in the last panel is an indication that he prefers to be more private about his mourning at this time.
As with all Wildwood serigraph prints, your satisfaction is completely guaranteed. Alex • rcrumb.com"
The information contained in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Expressobeans.com (EB) and shall not be held to limit the rights of EB under the Fair Use Doctrine or any other federal, state, or local law which may be applicable.
haven
Art Expert

Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:41 pm

That's a rather depressing strip
nikomias
New User

Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:20 am

LOL so cute