Goose Morrison 22 Kloc

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
somanyposters

Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:02 pm

Yeah - it is wild to see posters go up on eBay for a big chunk higher than I put mine up for - and still have available on my site for MUCH less! The thing that keeps me curious about how the flipping is successful is that if people who bought the MEGA price-hiked prints - just contacted the artist and said "hey - i'm about to pay $500 for a poster of yours on eBay..." I think 9 times out of 10 the artist would respond with "uh... I'll sell you one of my own collection for less than that." I know that's how I am at least. I keep a small amount of every run in my archive - but if someone is prepared to pay a months rent for it, I'm prepared to let them have mine!
sidewaysscott wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:52 pm
Yeah, think it was less common than it currently is. Meaning, we're starting to see gig posters for nearly every artist (ish) and nearly every show (ish). Most of this you know - the geepee artist community is doing well I'd think with the amount of concerts going on. But, limited posters, serious business

Anyways, this place was started as a resource and collection database. Think "flippers" were few and far between - this was early 1990s. fudge most shows I went to then didn't have any posters. Lot of phish shows I went to was more posters in the fan community rather than band curated.

Think a lot of us regulars around here will get posters from the artists or at shows and use those to get one's they've been looking for or something like that. Think that there is some flipping too, but think there's a collecting aspect of it for dudes around here. If I sell posters, it's to put back into other posters or frames.

I know a couple of Ebay dudes that flipping is all they do. But certainly not commanding 5x on most fudge. One fellow I observed must have followed Phish this tour and had multiple prints each night. Certainly depends on the artist and the image....and the current hype. Go look at 2021 Billy Strings posters...many are just sitting in inventory on the artists site, but 2022 Billy Strings posters, for the most part are gone. Think there's a bigger trend in the gig poster market this summer.

I could easily discuss this all day. :ziggi: :ziggi: :rolling: :banana:
sidewaysscott
Art God

Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:26 pm

also think the goose, phish, BS fans are drymounting rabid now creating the hype. And DMB too. I'm sure there's others. same with some artists too - Sperry, EMEK...
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:37 pm

Think I've been guilty of buying something on ebay vs. reaching out to the artist. Certainly have reached out to the artist(s) prior to going to ebay or searching here, many if not most have proven no luck. And also the artist saying they've none left.

Do think this year is different than the years past. It'll come and go. That's what she said.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
papaver
Tech Team Member

Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:48 pm

somanyposters wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:02 pm
Yeah - it is wild to see posters go up on eBay for a big chunk higher than I put mine up for - and still have available on my site for MUCH less! The thing that keeps me curious about how the flipping is successful is that if people who bought the MEGA price-hiked prints - just contacted the artist and said "hey - i'm about to pay $500 for a poster of yours on eBay..." I think 9 times out of 10 the artist would respond with "uh... I'll sell you one of my own collection for less than that." I know that's how I am at least. I keep a small amount of every run in my archive - but if someone is prepared to pay a months rent for it, I'm prepared to let them have mine!
sidewaysscott wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:52 pm
Yeah, think it was less common than it currently is. Meaning, we're starting to see gig posters for nearly every artist (ish) and nearly every show (ish). Most of this you know - the geepee artist community is doing well I'd think with the amount of concerts going on. But, limited posters, serious business

Anyways, this place was started as a resource and collection database. Think "flippers" were few and far between - this was early 1990s. fudge most shows I went to then didn't have any posters. Lot of phish shows I went to was more posters in the fan community rather than band curated.

Think a lot of us regulars around here will get posters from the artists or at shows and use those to get one's they've been looking for or something like that. Think that there is some flipping too, but think there's a collecting aspect of it for dudes around here. If I sell posters, it's to put back into other posters or frames.

I know a couple of Ebay dudes that flipping is all they do. But certainly not commanding 5x on most fudge. One fellow I observed must have followed Phish this tour and had multiple prints each night. Certainly depends on the artist and the image....and the current hype. Go look at 2021 Billy Strings posters...many are just sitting in inventory on the artists site, but 2022 Billy Strings posters, for the most part are gone. Think there's a bigger trend in the gig poster market this summer.

I could easily discuss this all day. :ziggi: :ziggi: :rolling: :banana:
honestly don't think 90% of people buying posters on ebay for higher cost care much. or know much about the artist. some for sure. but from past experience (at least with phish) as the crowd gets older, convenience wins. would rather enjoy the show and grab the poster of ebay for a $200 than drag it around the show and wait in lines. if you aren't a collector it's not a big deal. flying to see the band, eating out for multiple days, drinking for multiple days, hotels, drugs, taxis... whats a couple hundo more?
furnituremusic
Art Connoisseur

Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:18 am

I have a grey VIP edition which should be added. It is the nicest of the bunch.
grizzly814
New User

Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:56 pm

From a few folks I've talked to in lines at Red Rocks, etc, it helps some people afford the experience/more shows. If you can get in line early, grab the posters and make a quick buck, you can see more shows. Not saying this is right or ethical but just what I've heard. I've also seen people take advantage of early VIP entry and no poster limits to grab stacks, not even stay for the show, and flip them on eBay so there's definitely levels to the flipping game. I don't necessarily have a problem with buying to trade or even to help offset some costs, but the flippers only who have no connection or respect for the music/art are the worst part of this. And obviously in all scenarios, you/the artist are cut out of the profits which isn't cool.
somanyposters wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:20 pm
So i'm assuming this community has its fair share of folks who pick up prints and immediately puts them up on eBay for 5x or more than what they paid, is that safe to say? I'm really curious about how someone gets started in that world and if they have genuine passion for gig posters or just making money. I'm looking to have a rational conversation about it. I have my opinions, for sure, but I'm not here to yell about it - I just want to know more.
guryter
Art Expert

Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:46 pm

Hi Dave

:2thumb:
Stingers wrote:If you can't get it up eat less fudge, excersise and stop being a kitten.
john38103 wrote:All gin every thing. drymount all you hoes.
Relax, I honestly don't give a fudge.
fredo
Art God

Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:05 pm

furnituremusic wrote:
Don’t let us stop you!
just a foil for me today, thanks
AndyRobo
Art Enthusiast

Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:46 am

This poster continues to be very sought after. Lots of ISO in the facebook groups. I submitted an update to some of the data regarding editions sizes and adding the VIP and web variant (link)
fredo wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:05 pm
furnituremusic wrote:
Don’t let us stop you!
I went ahead and did this. Also suggested adding the web variant as well. Here is the info for this poster:

The Red version was available in three editions. A Show Edition, available as a Limited Edition of 250, and it is not signed. The Web Variant Edition is also not signed, offered as a Limited Edition of 75. The Artist Edition is a Limited Edition of 50 and comes signed. Additionally, the Blue Version is the VIP Variant, which is a Limited Edition of 210 and is not signed.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:16 am

It’s not like flippers make real money reselling posters anymore.
Not enough money to worry about.
There are too many posters & variants… and the prices are drymounting ridiculous.
For artists to be worried about posters on EBay is unsettling when fans are paying double and triple for enormous runs that artists don’t even bother to sign anymore.
AndyRobo
Art Enthusiast

Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:26 pm

I think Dave was just struck oddly to see his print selling for so much on eBay when he had them available on his site. My guess is most people don’t know that it’s possible to find the artist and ask if they have one available.

My preferred solution to helping normalize supply and demand, while also keeping collectibility top of mind would be to have very limited runs available at the show, and a time edition announced at the show that everybody could sign up for.

That way, everyone who goes to the show can al minimum get a poste, no waiting in line, no worrying about flippers, you just sign up for the timed edition. There’s no risk to producing too many, you just make however many pay.

The LE posters available at the show would be the type that are designed for people who appreciate more limited, run, or collectibility aspects of the posters. Often time those are collectors and not flippers. I also think bands should increase their prices if they are gonna sell out fast then pass some of that added revenue downstream to the artists. This way the whole ecosystem supports itself.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:54 pm

Yup.
This one is definitely surprising.
The prices are crazy.
Personally I don’t get it.
As a fan of DK’s work, I buy a lot of his prints…
This one doesn’t make the top 20.
Red Rocks with the assist, but overall this is one puzzling print.
AndyRobo
Art Enthusiast

Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:14 pm

I'm pretty sure it has to do with it being Goose's first Red Rocks show. There wasn't an empty seat in the house; a full 10,000 people were there. For maybe half the people, this was their first Goose show, thus adding more sentimental value.

The other show poster was by Drew Milward, whose print was also in significant demand (though not at the same level as this one). Milward's art was in his usual style; it's just a bit harder to read the band's name, nor did it capture anything specific to the venue.

On Dave's poster, the band's name is easy to read; it feels like it was made to celebrate a party, and the cake reference to Red Rocks was very clever.

This year's Red Rocks shows didn't have a single print that shot up in price like in '22. I think that was due to the edition sizes being much larger, leading to more posters being available (over 2,800). Basically, it seemed like supply kept up with demand.

The passionate community of Goose poster collectors helped drive demand for this particular print. They're an active bunch with many busy Facebook groups and what seems like lots of transactions taking place.

To me, it feels as though Goose and Billy Strings have both ridden the post-Covid surge and built fanatical fanbases. These fanbases are younger and have grown up in the "drop culture," where limited edition releases have been growing in popularity for everything from shoes to drinkware. This bodes well for rock poster market in the years & decades ahead.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:15 pm

Billy and Goose posters are everywhere huh?
Both bands are in the Tour-Your-Ass-Off-Stage.

I thought Goose was going to play straight through Christmas. They must be exhausted.

Kloc’s Dead & Company from Dodger Stadium is near the top of my obtainable ISO list.
Keeping my eye out to trade.
Picked up D&Co at The Forum companion piece last month.
Love that he included the nod to Jackie Robinson. Beautiful.
F the Klan.
automator
Nobody

Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:32 am

New image Goose Morrison 22 Kloc