Tool Cleveland 22 Grey

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
brewdog123
Art Expert

Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:45 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:25 pm
Luls. Dats pretty funny in a thread for a poster by the most big time artist there is Tool wise.

I think it's more cuz of Adam's overwhelming love for art. Duke is a yuge collector and collects works by many (all?) of the artists he's picked for their current round(s) of posters. I just wish he gave them more time to prepare so they could all create original art instead of using recycled fudge. Also pretty sure the artists only get band signed copies, not unsigned. If they're smart, they can easily sell them for $400-500 a pop and many are remarqueing em and selling em for $700+.

If ya think it's "cheaper" to do dis than have Adam make one design and reuse it for the entire tour (which they did in 2016-17), yer cray.

Regarding Emek specifically, I don't think any of the posters he did were commissioned by the band. I believe they were commissioned by the promoter/venue.
i think alex grey is to tool as pollock is to phish. they are intertwined with their perspective band, and therefore have a special "deal"/contract or whatever works out best mutually for both of them. grey and pollock are the exception in regards to the bands and their selection of artists. phish is basically using the same strategy regarding artists as tool, selecting a historically big name on a tour among a bunch of not as well known artists
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:34 pm

There's something to be said for knowing in advance that your audience may get rowdy over a particular artist.
NaiS
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:42 pm

brewdog123 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:45 pm
i think alex grey is to tool as pollock is to phish. they are intertwined with their perspective band, and therefore have a special "deal"/contract or whatever works out best mutually for both of them. grey and pollock are the exception in regards to the bands and their selection of artists. phish is basically using the same strategy regarding artists as tool, selecting a historically big name on a tour among a bunch of not as well known artists
I'd say the same USED to be the case with Ames Bros and Pearl Jam, especially considering the Ament bloodline. Perhaps even Brad Klausen more recently.

However, it seems less and less these days that you'll see PJ extensively use either artist. There's something to be said for giving a tour some art diversity by using these "boutique" collections of artists. I know in 2003, many people hated the fact that Ames did (IIRC) every poster during the massive tour, and they seemed to mail it in by simply repeating art in different colors twice or moreover.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:18 am

Can’t imagine the merch table horror stories if Emek did a 16 color home run screen print with his own font.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:50 am

Bloodbath.
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:00 pm

Not specifically this print but The CoSM auction prices are ridiculous
NaiS
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:54 pm

stuckeyc wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:00 pm
Not specifically this print but The CoSM auction prices are ridiculous
The only saving grace is all those fees and taxes ebay flippers face.
automator
Nobody

Wed May 25, 2022 9:22 am

New image Tool Cleveland 22 Grey