Twiddle Port Chester 21 Sperry

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
haven
Art Expert

Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:27 pm

People think that looks like Scarlett?
HelloExactly
Art Expert

Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:53 pm

Theseeker wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:24 pm
There was a poster flipper in line with 7 homeless dudes that he hired to get posters for him. It was disgusting.
LMAO, can confirm. One of the venue security guys was totally on it though, not sure if they got prints at all. Anybody who showed up before doors was there for the print. I heard more Sperry talk in line than music talk, Twiddle talk, Thanksgiving talk... Sperry, Sperry, Sperry.

I always thought it was weird that for some reason art is supposed to be immune from capitalism. Buy a 12 pack of coke for 5 bucks and sell the cans at $1 a piece and nobody bats an eye. Buy a poster and sell it for more than you paid, and you're some kind of perennial scumbag. Meanwhile, all the artists on the NFT train suddenly LOVE the aftermarket now that they get a cut of flips.

So where we at here. Is flipping only OK if the artist gets a cut? But art isn't about the money? I'm confused. If the NFT minting artist can go for a cash grab (Mike Mitchell, Gondek, etc.) why can't this guy?
bubbie
Art Expert

Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:18 pm

I am going to pay some hobbos to buy some of that sweet sweet coke and flip it on the street. Imma gonna be rich!
HelloExactly
Art Expert

Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:28 pm

bubbie wrote:
I am going to pay some hobbos to buy some of that sweet sweet coke and flip it on the street. Imma gonna be rich!
Bars flip alcohol. Movie theaters flip popcorn. But posters is where we draw the line. THAT is just unacceptable, and the people who do it should be set on fire.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:46 pm

Flipping is ok all the time. You're a dick if it's medicine or something essential (and then sometimes you're an outlaw in those cases).

But luxury goods? Get the drymount outta here. Find something real to complain about, the world is full of actually shitty fudge Like people complaining about poster flippers 😂
papaver
Tech Team Member

Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:48 pm

i say flip the fudge. don't blame the pusherman. blame the buyers buying above market cost and artists selling under market costs.

oh yeah. here's how you end flipping. stop buying second hand posters. done.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:48 pm

I'm sure security did a lot to remove the people with tickets from the venue who were ready to spend money on merch. (Spoiler alert: they did no such thing) Security removes problematic people, not people that are only guilty of being paying customers.
bubbie
Art Expert

Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:19 pm

HelloExactly wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:28 pm
bubbie wrote:
Bars flip alcohol. Movie theaters flip popcorn. But posters is where we draw the line. THAT is just unacceptable, and the people who do it should be set on fire.
I say, burn them!

ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:33 pm

HelloExactly wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:53 pm
I always thought it was weird that for some reason art is supposed to be immune from capitalism.
This says it all right here, in all my years buying and selling I've never heard it put quite this succinctly. :notworthy:
HelloExactly
Art Expert

Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:07 pm

Same people who are probably buying $8 cups of coffee and $1,000 iPhones are suddenly appalled and flabbergasted that individuals have the AUDACITY to mark up a product. Same reason I don't understand some galleries. They sit there literally printing money and that's great for them, but if YOU try to squeeze out a profit, you're a scumbag and the gallery owner will email you personally to let you know and cancel your order while concurrently getting into the NFT market. It's all so phony and fake. Flipping is only shitty when you weren't the one to profit. Now that NFT's pay residuals, HELL YEAH! THE AFTERMARKET!!! Why make money once, when you can make it FOREVER.

Hell, I remember when AP's were available for MSRP. Then artists were like, "why have an aftermarket when I can just inflate my prices" and then suddenly everyone's AP copies were eBay prices. More phoniness and fakery.
bsharp
Art Expert

Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:14 am

Counterpoint - the key difference is quantity. Art and prints are limited, coke and popcorn is not. People get mad because by buying a limited thing with the sole intent to flip it, you're depriving somebody else who wanted to keep it, from being able to buy it at the original price.

When hand sanitizer was in short supply last year, people who flipped it got eviscerated by the media.

(FWIW I don't get the fuss either)
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:21 am

Lots of art discussions up in here.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:57 am

bsharp wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:14 am
Counterpoint - the key difference is quantity. Art and prints are limited, coke and popcorn is not. People get mad because by buying a limited thing with the sole intent to flip it, you're depriving somebody else who wanted to keep it, from being able to buy it at the original price.
This. It's really not that hard to understand, not sure why some of you are pretending to scratch your head in wonder at why some folks get pissed at flippers. Posters, concert tickets, anything that is limited - usually the creators want to get their product into the hands of fans for cost, not flippers and scalpers. I don't necessarily see these entities as hypocrites just because they're getting into the NFT game.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
HelloExactly
Art Expert

Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:33 pm

"Posters, concert tickets, anything that is limited - usually the creators want to get their product into the hands of fans for cost"

OK, great. Start a subscription, and that way only your fans can buy things you want them to have. Let's be real here. Artists are no different than anyone else on Earth. They want to make money and lots of it. So they don't care who they sell to. If they really wanted to sell to "fans only" they absolutely could and absolutely would, but that wouldn't be good business, so they don't.

NFT's actively encourage flipping, and not only that, the buy in on a typical NFT is usually ridiculously high in order to immediately inflate the aftermarket, so those sweet sweet residuals come in ASAP. If I sell a Mondo poster, Mondo doesn't get 10% of what I sold it for. If I buy a Mike Mitchell NFT for 300 and sell it for 1000 a year later, MM is getting a percentage of that $1000 sale. So whereas in the past, flippers were looked upon like scum, now that flipping lines the pockets of the artist and gallery, flipping is the tits!!! Flipadelphia, mother phuckers!!!! So again, the only people who are anti-flip are the ones who see it as lost profits. The SECOND they found a way to capitalize the aftermarket infinitely, they did. So stop all this for the fans talk. Your quote makes more sense like this:

"Posters, concert tickets, anything that is limited - usually the creators want to get their product into the hands of CONSUMERS for MONEY."
Hippie
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:05 pm

Artist Edition is a run of 175 and original price was $125... not sure where ya make edits to these things, so I'm just yelling into the ether here...

already fixed... thanks whoever you are