Martha’s Vineyard Welcomes You 20 Durieux

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:02 pm

This topic is dedicated to: Martha’s Vineyard Welcomes You 20 Durieux

turnJBup
Art Freak

Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:38 pm

Not a movie?
Just a companion piece to the Jaws?
Utini
Art Enthusiast

Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:18 am

Snigger
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:43 pm

turnJBup wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:38 pm
Not a movie?
Just a companion piece to the Jaws?
Could fall under modes of transportation as well!
wakam

Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:45 am

Hello everybody, maybe my first post here. Excuse if my english is not always correct.

I don't understand all this hype around this print. I know his Jaws poster was a high successs, a very clever idea and a beautiful development. Definitely not what you would expect from a Jaws poster, and in this case that's good. I really love it, in fact I have it hanging in my wall at home.

After this, Durieux did the Jaws II poster. Same idea, hiding the shark fin in an unexpected place, but too obvious, too forced, and weaker composition.

And now... Martha's Vineyard print. Not a movie poster, just a companion print to the first Jaws one. Very lucrative move from the author, that's for sure, but I don't see the point of it. And again, the hidden shark fin.

To me it could be fine if it didn't include any Jaws reference. The hidden shark fin, like happened in Jaws 2, looks forced, not natural. Much better with no kites in the sky. Also, the warning sign. This is supposed to be a tourism advert, There's no point in adding a shark warning sign in a tourism poster. Totally senseless. Kite and warning sign are there just because Jaws fans expect them to be there, but they don't work in this context. It would have been a much better Jaws companion poster without those Jaws ex`plicit references.
bert
Art Expert

Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:44 am

It’s in the same vein as his print for Bodega Bay with Tippi Hedren in it - a mash-up of a travel poster for a real place and one of his movie poster designs.

As for the hype - I’m not sure I’ve seen much? I can see why it sold out quickly because those who own the original Jaws might see it as a nice companion and those who don’t own the original Jaws might see it as a nice substitute. I suppose it’s also a pleasant, wall friendly image that might spark a conversation for those outside the hobby or for those that aren’t big enough Jaws fans to know Martha’s Vineyard or immediately spot the fin.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:11 pm

Counterpoint: I found the fin on the original Jaws poster to be forced and still do.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
zb117
Art Enthusiast

Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:44 pm

Regs flipping for 250-450.

Agree the fin is too in your face, but what really gets me is the title is for the set location of shooting the film, not the location in the film. IMO that really rips me out of my imagination in a 4th wall breaking kind of way.

Colorways are nice and you get the LD texture work but yeah...
IronBott
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:58 pm

I wish I had a camera watching people explaining why they hang a Martha's vineyard poster
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:14 pm

wakam wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:45 am
Hello everybody, maybe my first post here. Excuse if my english is not always correct.

I don't understand all this hype around this print. I know his Jaws poster was a high successs, a very clever idea and a beautiful development. Definitely not what you would expect from a Jaws poster, and in this case that's good. I really love it, in fact I have it hanging in my wall at home.

After this, Durieux did the Jaws II poster. Same idea, hiding the shark fin in an unexpected place, but too obvious, too forced, and weaker composition.

And now... Martha's Vineyard print. Not a movie poster, just a companion print to the first Jaws one. Very lucrative move from the author, that's for sure, but I don't see the point of it. And again, the hidden shark fin.

To me it could be fine if it didn't include any Jaws reference. The hidden shark fin, like happened in Jaws 2, looks forced, not natural. Much better with no kites in the sky. Also, the warning sign. This is supposed to be a tourism advert, There's no point in adding a shark warning sign in a tourism poster. Totally senseless. Kite and warning sign are there just because Jaws fans expect them to be there, but they don't work in this context. It would have been a much better Jaws companion poster without those Jaws ex`plicit references.
It would be a pointless poster without the Jaws references, that's the whole point, it's where they shot the movie. And the fact it is designed as a series of prints for real places featured in films, by the same artist who made similarly styled posters for the respective movies, he sort of had to make it similar in style. It's very meta, i get it, but you are welcome to take it or leave it. I wasn't sold on it at first, but taking it on it's own merits, it serves a pleasant postcard style scene with a subtle nod to the film, even ignoring the fin in the sky.
finneganm
Art Freak

Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:23 pm

This is the single greatest piece of artwork of the 21st century.
That's what she said
automator
Nobody

Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:22 pm

New image Martha’s Vineyard Welcomes You 20 Durieux

automator
Nobody

Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:23 pm

New image Martha’s Vineyard Welcomes You 20 Durieux

finneganm
Art Freak

Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:29 pm

I rest my case.
That's what she said
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:24 am

Codeblue wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:11 pm
Counterpoint: I found the fin on the original Jaws poster to be forced and still do.
This