Martha’s Vineyard Welcomes You 20 Durieux

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
User avatar
ygolohcysp
Art Expert
Posts: 1126
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:57 pm

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:00 am

fredo wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:35 am
turnJBupatStudio54withRickJames wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:08 pm
His line work is mind blowing.
It’s ‘puterized though innit? Forget who told me that actually, so could be BS.
I always assumed it was digitally created too. Tracie ching bought some of the same pens!
A public relations nightmare

SLAPPED WITH FLIPPING
User avatar
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much
Posts: 53589
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:34 am

They still gotta draw it tho amirite.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
User avatar
fredo
Art God
Posts: 26896
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 pm
Location: ENZEE

Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:06 pm

Yes? I think it was downtown who said he uses a vector-something for...art...ing things. Was in response to people going gaga over his Pulp Fiction vs Welker’s 100% hand drawn PF (and everything).
just a foil for me today, thanks
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:05 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:15 pm

He produces colour roughs by hand and then uses those as reference when they are recreated digitally. Seeing some of those 'roughs' (not in person) from the Mondo show will make you appreciate the man's craft a little more - they look like they take a while to create. And imo the real craft is the ideas that he comes up with, I can appreciate that more than any one style of execution.

Looking at his style specifically I assume he uses Adobe Illustrator or some other vector based software but who knows. Wasn't there a documentary made on his Silence Of The Lambs? Anyone know if that has any in depth process insight? Would love to know more.
User avatar
fredo
Art God
Posts: 26896
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 pm
Location: ENZEE

Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:03 pm

jvwoodford wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:15 pm
He produces colour roughs by hand and then uses those as reference when they are recreated digitally. Seeing some of those 'roughs' (not in person) from the Mondo show will make you appreciate the man's craft a little more - they look like they take a while to create. And imo the real craft is the ideas that he comes up with, I can appreciate that more than any one style of execution.

Looking at his style specifically I assume he uses Adobe Illustrator or some other vector based software but who knows. Wasn't there a documentary made on his Silence Of The Lambs? Anyone know if that has any in depth process insight? Would love to know more.
Word, thanks.

I remember the Mondo og’s being excellent, just wasn’t sure how/where they fit in the process.
just a foil for me today, thanks
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:05 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:12 pm

I'll admit I'm not 100% sure on this but I don't see why else he'd create them unless it was just for the show? But since he only uses solid colours (no gradients) I'd imagine he needs some sort of prior reference to work from before digitising his designs and I assume that's where the hand drawn stuff comes into play. Would be really interested to know this for sure though but it makes sense to me.

He seems quite old school in his process too (coming from an advertising background), starting with an idea, then pencil/paper experiments and only finishing on the computer as opposed to trying out digital roughs at the very beginning, so it makes sense he'd make some sort of colour rough by hand first.
User avatar
rubberneck
Art God
Posts: 25834
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:19 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:37 am

Regular works best with his original print, obvs...
Image
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0


"rara charta, gravi negotio"
User avatar
dodgers77
Art Expert
Posts: 2197
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:32 am
Location: Los Angeles

Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:44 am

:clap:
User avatar
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much
Posts: 53589
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans

Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:33 pm

They look great on the floor together!
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
User avatar
fredo
Art God
Posts: 26896
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 pm
Location: ENZEE

Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:25 pm

Skimped on the second border though. SAD!
just a foil for me today, thanks
User avatar
rubberneck
Art God
Posts: 25834
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:19 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:09 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:33 pm
They look great on the floor together!
:lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0


"rara charta, gravi negotio"
User avatar
wonkabars7
Art Expert
Posts: 7186
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 2:13 pm

Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:30 am

humble brag
User avatar
KNEEL13
EB Team
Posts: 7917
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:21 pm
Location: Chicago area

Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:46 pm

I got this strange test print in my package. When I first opened the box it was all I saw and it confused me. The prints and wood print were beneath it.

Image
User avatar
ruok4y2k
New User
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:32 pm

Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:48 am

KNEEL13 I had the same with my wood edition
automator
Nobody
Posts: 130891
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:00 am

Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:18 am

New image Martha’s Vineyard Welcomes You 20 Durieux - Sketch Giclee


Image
Post Reply