Go Tell Mama! 08 Noland

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
boatingbenny
Art Expert

Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:57 am

Has anyone received this yet?
hotniks160
Art Connoisseur

Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:36 am

IHC wrote:This is a 4-color silkscreen by street artist Ray Noland, printed by screwball press.
i cotacted screwball press and the have said they did not print this.Not sur ewho did but it was not them

here is the response quote--

you're the second one to contact me about it.
I didn't print that here.
I've printed stuff for ray noland in the past, but not that one.
I'm sorry I don't have any contact ionfo for him.
deliahdelyon
Art Freak

Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:12 am

You should really read the threads before posting :)
crosshair wrote:
IHC wrote:This is a 4-color silkscreen by street artist Ray Noland, printed by screwball press.
Correction: these were not printed by Screwball. The first editions of both his Obama prints were printed by Crosshair. If there are second editions of either, I don't know who did them, but it wasn't Screwball.
Kdh12
Art Freak

Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:07 am

send ray an email he is good at responding and he sill let you know what is up
postartproductions
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:40 am

There are some of my photos from this show on my blog.

Jason Kaczorowski
http://eventphotoblog.blogspot.com/
bicyclejoe
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:48 pm

Second edition of 100 for sale at the gotellmama.org site
willg
Art Expert

Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:52 pm

anybody receive any posters from Ray yet?
Chumley
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:07 pm

2nd edition is a run of 100
bicyclejoe
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:20 pm

That's what I said.

Received shipping notice today.
AKArt
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:56 pm

added to the collection
bicyclejoe
Art Connoisseur

Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:51 pm

Chumley wrote:2nd edition is a run of 100
Actually, it's a second edition of 90.
Please fix mods.
Just got mine today. Very cool.
Chumley
Art Connoisseur

Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:41 pm

I ordered and paid for this poster on February 1st. Before the gallery show, before the 2nd edition was even announced. I just rec'd the 2nd edition in the mail. I feel duped. I am wrong to feel like I got the bait and switch. I could have bought this at the gallery show 8 days after I paid for it and had the first edition, but I didn't because I had already purchased it 8 days earlier. My brother bought one at the gallery and he has the first edition. I feel like I have been ripped off. I am out of line here??
usamamasan1
Art Expert

Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:29 pm

nope, not out of line. you were duped and that was shady. you paid for something other than what you got.
MJBuck
Art Expert

Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:41 pm

usamamasan1 wrote:nope, not out of line. you were duped and that was shady. you paid for something other than what you got.
out and perfect.
norelation wrote:quit with the sniveling and just sell the damn poster. i don't care about your life story, we all got problems. just tell me about bent corners, or if your cat has used it for target practice.
mistersmith wrote:That means I'm going to touch you.
MJBuck
Art Expert

Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:16 pm

Go Tell Mama! Obama as muse
The Oregonian Thursday June 05, 2008, 11:31 AM
Like millions of Americans, Ray Noland says there's something about Barack that inspires him.

But the Chicago artist just might be the only voter from sea to shining sea who has turned his admiration and hopes for Democrat Barack Obama into a popular traveling art show.

For your First Thursday consideration: GoTellMama!, an exhibit that has been held over from its original three-day run at Art 323, 323 N.W. Sixth Ave.

Noland's year-long campaign to turn the Illinois senator's - and now presumptive presidential nominee's - message into art started as a subversive street movement. Hundreds of the artist's first lithograph and silkscreen posters, including one with the candidate's face surrounded by bullhorns declaring, "Go Tell Mama I'm for Obama," have shown up on walls from Brooklyn to Los Angeles to Portland.

From there, "GoTellMama!" turned into a mobile exhibit with original videos, paintings, mixed media (including a piece sellign for $2,000) and silkscreened T-shirts. Driving to and from battleground states during the primaries, Noland decided to show the art mostly in abandoned storefronts the weekend before the polls opened.

"That seemed to fit Barack's message of progress and change," Noland said. "We need to get this economy rolling again."

Of course, some people walking into the show have questioned Noland's motives. "They come in, saying, 'You're just trying to make money off Obama,'" he said. "I have to explain to them that any money I make goes right back into supporting the candidate."

Noland said he donates 10 percent of his sales to the Obama 08 campaign. The rest, he said, is sucked up by gas and other travel expenses and making more art that he hopes will inspire people to take a thoughtful look at the candidate.

Also, he notes, art is politics.

GoTellMama! is the candidate as muse. It's also further proof that 2008 is "the first creative-class election in American history," as Richard Florida, a professor of business economics at the University of Toronto's Rotman School of Business and author of the book, "The Rise of the Creative Class," contends.

GoTellMama! opened in Portland last Friday. In every other city, the exhibit has stuck around for only three days before Noland packed it into the back of his car and headed to the next state. But in Portland, where Obama's May visit famously attracted a sea of 75,000 people downtown, the reaction to the show has prompted the gallery to extend it a week through next Monday.

GoTellMama! is also becoming a bona fide part of history. Recently, the Smithsonian Institute contacted Noland about submitting a set of his posters to its archives. In North Carolina, the last state Noland visited before the long trip to Oregon, Obama and his wife, Michelle, stopped in to see the art.

"I think he was a little overwhelmed by seeing his face everywhere," Noland said of Obama. "He's really humble that way. He was also very supportive. They bought a few pieces."

Of course, the nation's historical archivists and the rock-star candidate aren't the only ones taking notice of the "official unofficial Obama 08 art show." Last week, while setting up for his Portland opening, Noland received a cease-and-desist letter from the Harlem Globetrotters.

"Apparently, the Globetrotters own the trademark to the image of a ball spinning on a finger," Noland said.

One the artist's most popular poster pays homage to the 'Trotters logo, with a finger spinning a red, white and blue "Obama 08" basketball.

"I don't have the money to fight it," Noland said. "If I can't work something out with them, I'll just have to take that one down and stop making it."
Last edited by MJBuck on Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
out and perfect.
norelation wrote:quit with the sniveling and just sell the damn poster. i don't care about your life story, we all got problems. just tell me about bent corners, or if your cat has used it for target practice.
mistersmith wrote:That means I'm going to touch you.