The Hateful Eight 16 Edmiston

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:43 am

I always love to see where Jackie Brown sits on people's QT list. It's a bit of an outlier.

I wasn't a huge fan of it for a while. But rewatched this year in theaters and it does play really well.

And is also his most restrained and romantic film. But if you are coming off of Pulp Fiction and walk into that expecting Pulp 2, you will be disappointed.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
matowest
Art Expert

Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:21 am

35mmpaul wrote:I always love to see where Jackie Brown sits on people's QT list. It's a bit of an outlier.

I wasn't a huge fan of it for a while. But rewatched this year in theaters and it does play really well.

And is also his most restrained and romantic film. But if you are coming off of Pulp Fiction and walk into that expecting Pulp 2, you will be disappointed.
I think that last bit is the key to why it didn't make a big first impression back in 97. But, man, it's a great flick. I'll take it over some of the more recent QTs any day
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:27 am

matowest wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:I always love to see where Jackie Brown sits on people's QT list. It's a bit of an outlier.

I think that last bit is the key to why it didn't make a big first impression back in 97. But, man, it's a great flick. I'll take it over some of the more recent QTs any day
I think it is easily top 3 QT
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
matowest
Art Expert

Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:33 am

RambosRemodeler wrote:
matowest wrote:

I think it is easily top 3 QT
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:38 am

The thing I enjoyed most about Hateful 8 was that the tension lasted pretty much right up until the end. With IB and Django, I kind of checked out for the last 20 minutes or so because they both turn into 100% gunfire and splosions.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:47 am

PrintNoob87 wrote:The thing I enjoyed most about Hateful 8 was that the tension lasted pretty much right up until the end. With IB and Django, I kind of checked out for the last 20 minutes or so because they both turn into 100% gunfire and splosions.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:58 am

PrintNoob87 wrote:The thing I enjoyed most about Hateful 8 was that the tension lasted pretty much right up until the end. With IB and Django, I kind of checked out for the last 20 minutes or so because they both turn into 100% gunfire and splosions.
The last 30 minutes of Django are very problematic. I just wish it ended with the one fire fight. Not the whole bang bang, capture, almost castration, worst QT cameo ever, then other quieter gun fight. But I digress
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:09 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
The last 30 minutes of Django are very problematic. I just wish it ended with the one fire fight. Not the whole bang bang, capture, almost castration, worst QT cameo ever, then other quieter gun fight. But I digress
Agree completely - got pretty choppy there at the end. Also didn't help that the two best characters in the movie exited at that point. I was a little worried after IB/Django, that QT had just kind of run out of ways to end a movie without turning it into a massive firefight leading to a massive explosion. That's why I enjoyed the dialogue heavy, bottle feel of the ending to H8. Something different than the last couple.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:20 pm

Admittedly, I haven't seen JB in years, but the last time I watched it I felt pretty meh about it.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
jlabbate
Art Freak

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:31 pm

Codeblue wrote:Admittedly, I haven't seen JB in years, but the last time I watched it I felt pretty meh about it.
I'd never been a fan of JB, but gave it another go last summer, and I liked it a tad better...still towards the bottom of QT films for me
bapaik
Art Connoisseur

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:50 pm

Genuine question, where does KB fall on people's list? Haven't seen it talked about. I recognize PF as the better film, but the subject matter/theme of KB1 resonates with me more so than IB and DJ. Just rewatched KB1-2, really enjoy KB1, but KB2 is not the greatest...
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:54 pm

Should we just bust out the QT lists now? Or put it in some other thread?
Diabolos80
Art Expert

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:58 pm

Up until H8 (and not including Death Proof), my fave QT was always whichever one he did last. So, Django remains my favorite, with IB a very close second.
mattkardish
Art Expert

Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:16 pm

35mmpaul wrote:Should we just bust out the QT lists now? Or put it in some other thread?
u start i'll follow
bapaik
Art Connoisseur

Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:36 pm

1 - Kill Bill vol. 1
2 - Pulp Fiction
3 - Inglorious Basterds
4 - Reservoir Dogs
5 - Django