South Park: The Avengers 16 The Dark Inker

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
prevone
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:37 am

gotta love these threads that bring out all the "class acts" that this hobby is full of...
TheBeard
Art Expert

Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:38 am

jeffreyjonesbsme wrote:I'd be happy to sell some for that.
But, I'm not.
I will only have a few extra. What I do with them is none of your business.
Some of you are really a joke and are the worst of the ones in this hobby.
that's not very nice.
Woodrocket podcast - http://itun.es/us/8lNFJ.c
rubberneck
Art God

Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:43 am

Parody Prints, PM Business...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:50 am

JJBM strikes again!

P.S. I'm totes here to piss on this. *unzips*
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
irishlastname
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:08 am

downforcemedia wrote:I sniff a Cease & Desist in effect from Marvel Studios. That would explain the secrecy over who the artist is (although it's not too hard to figure out) and the desire to unload these for free.

Meanwhile, Jeff's Johan Jaccob commission continues to fester . . .
Parodies... how do they work?
downforcemedia
Art Expert

Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:30 am

irishlastname wrote:
downforcemedia wrote:I sniff a Cease & Desist in effect from Marvel Studios. That would explain the secrecy over who the artist is (although it's not too hard to figure out) and the desire to unload these for free.

Meanwhile, Jeff's Johan Jaccob commission continues to fester . . .
Parodies... how do they work?
A parody can borrow significantly from copyrighted works and still fall under the "fair use" exception to copyright infringement but only under certain narrowly defined circumstances.

Courts have a four factor test to determine whether or not copied material falls under the fair use parody exception:

1. The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
2. The nature of the copyrighted work;
3. The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
4. The effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

The key element in a movie poster parody is factor number 1. If the purpose and character of the use is primarily commercial, then the copying rarely falls under the parody exception.

The type of copying that most often falls under the parody exception is meant to criticize, educate or make a meaningful commentary on the subject matter being copied. In other words, it must be "transformative" in nature and not just a copy for fun with a profit motive.

An additional complication is the distinction between parody and satire. Works that are created merely to poke fun are almost always classified as satire - not parodies. Courts are much less willing to find that satire falls under the fair use exception.

The above is obviously a vast oversimplification of the parody exception but it does expose the really obvious problems when movie posters claim to be parodies and thus take advantage of the fair use exception to copyright protection.

** Disclaimer - this is for informational use only and cannot be relied upon as a legal opinion. I am not your lawyer. **
Lies are a funny thing. They slip through your fingertips because they never happened to you. Time wounds all the heals as we fade out of view
graffix
Art Enthusiast

Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:03 am

I feel sorry for the Commission I members who decided not to participate in Commission II. The original commission was a small price to pay to be a part of this one. Jeff did a great job putting this idea together and I think the artist executed the idea brilliantly. I do plan on framing this and putting it among my other Stouts. Can't wait to get it in hand.
oldgreg
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:33 am

graffix wrote:I feel sorry for the Commission I members who decided not to participate in Commission II.
Nothing
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:53 am

jeffreyjonesbsme wrote:I saw a picture of this a few days ago.
This is really fun.
Must have!
jeffreyjonesbsme wrote:I'd be happy to sell some for that.
But, I'm not.
I will only have a few extra. What I do with them is none of your business.
Some of you are really a joke and are the worst of the ones in this hobby.

Seriously?
MoviePosterEmpire

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:33 am

To comment on the art, I don't get why the cartoon likenesses aren't spot on. It wouldn't seem difficult for a professional artist who does these kinds of works to get them spot on. South Park characters aren't that hard to get right in the first place. The characters aren't portrayed clearly enough to know who is playing what character. Four different characters look like they could be Cartman. There are a lot of jokes that could have been made but were missed including the title.

As for Jeff hyping his own commission, his first comment stated
jeffreyjonesbsme wrote:I saw a picture of this a few days ago.
This is really fun.
Must have!
That's clearly something you'd post if you weren't part of the commission but as the lead there's no way you'd say it unless it was plainly for hype. Then later when someone brought up that he was the lead he tried to redirect with
jeffreyjonesbsme wrote:I don't run them all.
which again is trying to make people think you're not hyping your own commission. I don't get the point of coming into the art comments of your own commission and trying to hype it like you weren't involved. The only motive is to get people interested to move your extras that the rest of the group pays for that you get for free or to flip all the extras you bought at regular price. This is why people shouldn't be building in any kind of profit into commissions. It's clear your main motivation when commenting on the art is to inflate the market.
Stereomove82
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:35 am

MoviePosterEmpire wrote: The only motive is to get people interested to move your extras that the rest of the group pays for that you get for free or to flip all the extras you bought at regular price. This is why people shouldn't be building in any kind of profit into commissions. It's clear your main motivation when commenting on the art is to inflate the market.
Depends upon if the commissioner printed a few extra using his own funds to make it cheaper for each member in the commission group which one would hope.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:44 am

jeffreyjonesbsme wrote:I'm not hyping anything.
I ran this. Not hiding anything.
But there are reasons why limited info is given.
It may come out later. It may not.
This wasn't done for anyone but those involved.
It's only here for others to enjoy.
It's not here for a debate or for drama.
Like it or not, those involved are thrilled.
For some reason I automatically started to rap this in my head.
dweebofthedead
Art Expert

Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:47 am

:lurk:
FOODRAP
Art Expert

Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:56 am

ISO PB
jeffreyjonesbsme
Art Expert

Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:58 am

Stereomove82 wrote:
MoviePosterEmpire wrote: The only motive is to get people interested to move your extras that the rest of the group pays for that you get for free or to flip all the extras you bought at regular price. This is why people shouldn't be building in any kind of profit into commissions. It's clear your main motivation when commenting on the art is to inflate the market.
Depends upon if the commissioner printed a few extra using his own funds to make it cheaper for each member in the commission group which one would hope.
Bingo.
I did print a few extra...and it's a good I did.
Because I ended up in the hole on this. Which is fine. I'll sell a few and make it up.
For those of you who think I do this for profit...I must be doing it wrong. That's what happens when costs are more than expected. Lots of commission leads end up in the hole.
I ran one that put me over $600 in the hole. But I got the print I really wanted.
Those of you who know me, know I do this for fun.
Most of what you read on the internet is not true....signed Abraham Lincoln