Delicate Balance 15 Fairey

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
davidpesek
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:52 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:Why on earth should he make less money on a release because he is giving some to charity?

he isn't giving any to charity... he raised prices so that the % going to charity doesn't effect his usual take from a print drop. net-net, he ends up on top the margin on 50 extra prints
ErocAfellar
Art Expert

Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:55 pm

did his accountant PM you the percentage "portion" donated to charity or did you do that math just based on your own assumptions?
HappaHaoli wrote:That is freaking Eroctic!
davidpesek
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:56 pm

ErocAfellar wrote:
PLUSH wrote:
earlgreytoast wrote:Why on earth should he make less money on a release because he is giving some to charity?

Because, what is "HE" really giving then? Nothing, but other's money, which is noble within itself, but we don't know if 'HE" is really giving anything.
do you criticize the Red Cross or the United Way or Habitat for organizing an action and directing other's money? what are "THEY" really giving?

if it weren't for his efforts, much of the money donated would most likely not have been donated in the first place, because let's face it, humans are greedy and people are much more willing to give when they get something out of it. so instead of taking cheap shots behind a computer screen, hopefully you have put your money where your mouth is and already donated to a good cause.
Like I already said, I do donate to charity. It's not a cheap shot, it's calling out bullshit when I see it. His efforts? He pumps out a print every week (90% crap these days) and this week decided to charge more and put a small portion to charity. nothing out of his pocket though...just passing along the donation to us.
davidpesek
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:58 pm

ErocAfellar wrote:did his accountant PM you the percentage "portion" donated to charity or did you do that math just based on your own assumptions?

it doesn't matter...it's the principal of raising just to say you're donating some to charity. but I guess that concept is a little too tough to grasp
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:04 pm

So, just so I understand your "stance," if he made it an edition of 450 at $45 a pop, and donated 15% to charity, you would be in this thread applauding his efforts?

:roll:

No, of course you wouldn't.

I'm done here though; you have clearly made up your mind that Shep is bad. And for the record, you have just impugned every single artist who has released a print edition and given a portion to charity. Because all they're doing is just taking other people's money and giving it to the needy. :lol:
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
ErocAfellar
Art Expert

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:05 pm

davidpesek wrote:it doesn't matter...it's the principal of raising just to say you're donating some to charity. but I guess that concept is a little too tough to grasp
ahhh, so the charity that you donated to matters (which most definitely deducts salary, marketing, administration costs from their overall donations), but an artist with an action to donate to charity does not matter (who deducts for similar costs). gotcha!

:cheers:
HappaHaoli wrote:That is freaking Eroctic!
PLUSH
Art Expert

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:05 pm

ErocAfellar wrote:
PLUSH wrote:

Because, what is "HE" really giving then? Nothing, but other's money, which is noble within itself, but we don't know if 'HE" is really giving anything.
do you criticize the Red Cross or the United Way or Habitat for organizing an action and directing other's money? what are "THEY" really giving?

if it weren't for his efforts, much of the money donated would most likely not have been donated in the first place, because let's face it, humans are greedy and people are much more willing to give when they get something out of it. so instead of taking cheap shots behind a computer screen, hopefully you have put your money where your mouth is and already donated to a good cause.

You are the only one I see criticizing. I said what he is doing is noble. However, trying to compare relief organizations and their purpose to SF and his, is ludicrous. I was just pointing to the whole Capitalistic ideology that EGT was presenting in, "why should he make less money".
jjttdw
Art Expert

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:10 pm

ErocAfellar wrote:the critiques of those doing something charitable always make me laugh. i would make sure that my "charity karma" meter was overflowing with immeasurable kindness before I started talking fudge about someone else's goodwill.
^this
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
davidpesek
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:13 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:So, just so I understand your "stance," if he made it an edition of 450 at $45 a pop, and donated 15% to charity, you would be in this thread applauding his efforts?

:roll:

No, of course you wouldn't.

I'm done here though; you have clearly made up your mind that Shep is bad. And for the record, you have just impugned every single artist who has released a print edition and given a portion to charity. Because all they're doing is just taking other people's money and giving it to the needy. :lol:

Yes I would, but God forbid Shep embody the bs image he tries to portray. I'm done too, too many people so far up Shep's ass they can't see clearly.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:24 pm

Go troll somewhere else. If you like it buy it, who cares what he does with the money.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
davidpesek
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:31 pm

jjttdw wrote:Go troll somewhere else. If you like it buy it, who cares what he does with the money.

sorry didn't know expressing an opinion was trolling. I've said since the beginning idc about him making money. I just hate that he pretends to be so against it
Kramerica
Art Freak

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:32 pm

Unless you are donating your flip profits to charity, probably best to stfu.

You really have a problem with Shep making money and donating some to charity then don't buy it. He could be charging $75 for every release at this point and they would still sell out but he doesn't. This all comes off as being butthurt your margin just got $15 thinner
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
davidpesek
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:36 pm

Kramerica wrote:Unless you are donating your flip profits to charity, probably best to stfu.

You really have a problem with Shep making money and donating some to charity then don't buy it. He could be charging $75 for every release at this point and they would still sell out but he doesn't. This all comes off as being butthurt your margin just got $15 thinner

if I was worried about $15 when flipping prints I think I'd be doing something wrong. idgaf about the flip money, I've stated over and over again my beef is his hypocrisy. but I guess reading is tough for everyone
Kramerica
Art Freak

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:39 pm

No, you just make a poor argument about why he is a hypocrite. Criticizing someone for being greedy while admitting to flipping their prints is pretty classic though. Kudos for trying to pull that off.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
davidpesek
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:54 pm

Kramerica wrote:No, you just make a poor argument about why he is a hypocrite. Criticizing someone for being greedy while admitting to flipping their prints is pretty classic though. Kudos for trying to pull that off.
I never claimed to not be greedy, I am. But at least I don't try to portray myself otherwise.