Grateful Dead 88 Griffin

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:24 pm

This topic is dedicated to: Grateful Dead 88 Griffin

Bouch
New User

Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:32 pm

This painting was actually made into a poster, but was never released to the public. It seems that a select few found their way out into circulation. I have one of these posters and it shows it was released by Grateful Dead Merchandising but was never made publicly available. It is a huge print about 3' x 4 ' and is not in the best condition (ie: push pin holes and wrinkles) but a friend gifted it to me knowing I could appreciate the rarity of the poster. The band apparently decided not to release the poster due to the controversial Confederate Flag. Does anyone else have any more information about this poster or an idea of how valuable it is?

Brian
pinup
Art Enthusiast

Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:05 pm

This image was produced as a poster.
I believe it was done by Portal Productions. It's been a while since I last pulled it out and looked at the two I own.
They are printed in a larger format than the standard 2' x 3' poster size. Printed on glossy paper stock.

I've seen this image printed on T-Shirts as well. From the mini southern tour of Houston, Dallas, New Orleans & Florida in October.
No poster was sold at the shows.

I'll post a picture of them when I get a chance.
automator
Nobody

Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:33 pm

New image Grateful Dead 88 Griffin

pinup
Art Enthusiast

Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:37 pm

This is a really large poster by Rick.
They were selling T-Shirts at the show with this image on it. No posters sold at the shows on this tour.
I bought it new back in '89 at a comic shop in L.A. Lucky that I bought several of them. Big fan of Rick's and was looking to have him sign them...

pinup
Art Enthusiast

Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:33 pm

Sold on 7/27/22 on ebay for $132.50.
The poster was pretty beat up. Torn in multiple places. Big creases all over the place. Taped on the back side. Pin holes.

Big Rare Grateful Dead Poster 1988 tour Rick Griffin Touché Gris.

Old rare controversial dead poster for the 1988 southern usa tour art done by Rick Griffin. Few taped up rips and could use a cleaning if you wanted to. Please see pictures for imperfections and wear. Sold as is. No refunds. Thanks!

Approximate size - 38in x 53in

Below copied from Bonhams site where the original set sold for close to 20k about the art

“ Rick was asked to produce an image for concert promotion on the Dead's October 1988 Southern Tour, with venues in Florida, Louisiana and Texas. This colorful, American Civil War-themed image incorporating elements of the Confederate flag was controversial in 1988, and still is. His idea was a play on the grey of the Confederate uniform and the band's popular song, 'Touch Of Grey' (translated into the French as the tour was to visit New Orleans). The crossed sabres, as well as being a Civil War image, might also be a visual refernce to the term 'touché, used in swordplay.

Owing to the sensitive nature of the imagery in this design, it was not used for posters or advertising, but did appear on Southern Tour T-shirts. “
Gr8fulHorticulturist
New User

Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:11 pm

pinup wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:37 pm
This is a really large poster by Rick.
They were selling T-Shirts at the show with this image on it. No posters sold at the shows on this tour.
I bought it new back in '89 at a comic shop in L.A. Lucky that I bought several of them. Big fan of Rick's and was looking to have him sign them...

Do you still have any for sale? Huge Rick Griffin fan and trying to get my collection up