Hot Tuna Kimock SF 15 Hunter Forbes

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
biscocrack420
Art Expert

Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:37 pm

:clap: nice!!
veltri
Art Expert

Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:45 pm

Love the lettering!
strongstuff wrote: i want to watch those fools squirm.
triporfreak
Art Expert

Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:21 pm

UP!
fredo
Art God

Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:58 pm

The red/gold variants are on par with the reg IMO. Hain't felt that way in a while.
Ps they're all too expensive for my blood.
Pps nominated
just a foil for me today, thanks
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:06 pm

Cross post from the Dave Hunter thread. My post below really belongs here rather than there...

Dave seems to be pushing the notion more than most artists, that the artist should get the money rather than the flippers.
The thing that comes into my mind as the lava and gold have sold out in an hour and 3 hours, respectively, is that you don't have to sell out in less than 1 minute to illustrate that the demand exists. If the red sells out today or even in the next week, it tells me his pricing (at least on the variants), is "right priced". This certainly won't make the flippers happy. But, if you're buying because you love the art and plan to keep the print, it's like the launch was in a free market and you're paying market price. I can't complain about that.

By the way, since it's a poster for Hot Tuna, I think of the chick as a water girl (i.e., a hot momma tuna fish haha) or a mermaid or something, so I like the lava foil best because it gives the image the feel of shimmering/wavy water.

My $0.02
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
fredo
Art God

Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:15 pm

Same:
I think of flippers as strawmen in this discussion. Bottom line: it's getting overly pricey and there are too many variants.
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:29 pm

Flippers may be the wrong word for me to use. What I'm referring to is market value. The artist stands to get far more revenue if he/she prices at market than if the items are priced according to historical convention.

I learned in product/marketing long ago (in the real world) that there are three approaches to pricing that all need to be taken into consideration with any product release:

1- cost plus
2- competitive pricing
3- what the market will bear

It seems to me that more and more artists are consciously or accidentally starting to factor approach #3 into their pricing.

Of course, there's risk both ways...

Underestimate what the market will bear, and you leave money on the table that others will benefit from (flippers, etc.)
Overestimate what the market will bear, and your product doesn't sell.

Poster artists have traditionally avoided pricing their goods in such a way that would keep their product from selling, regardless of whether they are getting what the market ends up saying it is worth.

It's becoming a bold new world, boys and girls.

Just sayin'.
Last edited by Rick_a_c on Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:30 pm

How much were the Foil & Gold editions?
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:30 pm

Foil was $220 and gold (like red) was $250
upseeker
Art Expert

Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:48 pm

veltri wrote:Love the lettering!
Yes. Let's hope the collaboration continues. Loving this on any paper. :drool:
fredo
Art God

Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:11 pm

I hear you, Rick. And a fair enough assessment. We shall overcome!
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:44 am

All versions sold out.
upseeker
Art Expert

Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:15 pm

Gammalyte has been prodigously killin' it lately! Awesome sauces!! My top pick for underrated artists. :notworthy: :clap: :pint:
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:38 pm

Pretty decent bands he's creating this killer art for lately, too, don't you think?:
Crosby/Nash, Clapton, Dead, Hot Tuna, etc
marvin
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:58 am

Rick_a_c wrote:Cross post from the Dave Hunter thread. My post below really belongs here rather than there...

Dave seems to be pushing the notion more than most artists, that the artist should get the money rather than the flippers.
The thing that comes into my mind as the lava and gold have sold out in an hour and 3 hours, respectively, is that you don't have to sell out in less than 1 minute to illustrate that the demand exists. If the red sells out today or even in the next week, it tells me his pricing (at least on the variants), is "right priced". This certainly won't make the flippers happy. But, if you're buying because you love the art and plan to keep the print, it's like the launch was in a free market and you're paying market price. I can't complain about that.

By the way, since it's a poster for Hot Tuna, I think of the chick as a water girl (i.e., a hot momma tuna fish haha) or a mermaid or something, so I like the lava foil best because it gives the image the feel of shimmering/wavy water.

My $0.02
Agreed
If anyone has a line on variants for cost plus S&H i'd be interested, HTuna & OSFoundation w/ Hunter/Forbes doing the silkscreen=simply beautiful, very happy to vote the 1st edition for POTW; Gammalyte Press is amazing . Always pushing limits on a regular. Mike Dubois offset that the OSFoundation/Sheila/Starfinder or whomever are selling are nice, but this collab is out of the park. Best Hunter collar since Hunter/Sperry 10 Dark Star Orchestra dual signatures Warfield SF dual signatures, 1st series of 150 with very interesting variants. If you don't have that one, well add it to the list.
Tell Someone You Love Them