Calvin & Hobbes 15 Englert

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:44 am

35mmpaul wrote:
Kramerica wrote:That's where you are wrong. There are lots of prints out there of Calvin and Hobbes art.
There are some C&H prints out there, I wouldn't say alot. But this one is my favorite one I have seen.

What are some that speak to you?
The prints of the comic strips themselves that are sold through the official outlet speak to me the most. I feel they are the best and most honest representation of the characters that come directly from the artist's hand.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:46 am

I'd like to see a detailed picture on how they are printed. I'm sure if Bill was involved they are printed with high quality.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
treweman
Art Expert

Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:12 pm

chalkdust wrote:I too have a soft spot for Calvin and Hobbes, and this just rubs me the wrong way. Also seems like most of the people defending it have an agenda in the aftermarket of this print. Bill did in fact copyright these two characters, and is very against anyone using them for advertising or promoting their own popularity. It's pretty much the reason you don't see those weak-ass Ford stickers anymore.

"We're protective of the copyright for a variety of reasons, most importantly it is the express and unwavering wish of the creator that any use of Calvin and Hobbes was limited to work he'd created and in very specific formats."

anyway, all these guys talk about is how much they respect artists. If you respect them so much, why do you promote a blatant bootleg just because it was given away. Have some respect for the actual creator of the comic you love so much..
I very much respect this post.

On the other hand, where do we draw the line? I looked at your profile, chalkdust, and although your collection is private, your ISO list is not. Included in your list is the now famous (infamous?) Obama Hope '08 by Shepard Fairey. If you still want this print, then it is obvious that you are able to draw a line and the issue is not a simple black and white/right vs. wrong decision.

In reflecting on my values, I lost quite a bit of respect for Fairey, not so much because he appropriated Mannie Garcia's photograph without consent or attribution, but because of his behavior after he was called on it. As for Englert's Calvin & Hobbes, I am very drawn to this print, but given the discussion raised here, I can't in all conscience buy it. My values, not anyone else's.
Buckhammer
Art Expert

Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:25 pm

Yeah usually fan art doesnt bother me, but when the subject is creator controlled (C&H, Preacher, Hellboy, etc) it is a bit rude of the artist to take another artists property to make money. I understand it was for his sub but he still made money for the sub therefore made money off the print. Maybe he should have tried to contact the creator and let him know his plans, show him the art and see what happens.
RobJones wrote:Billy, how Everest was I last night?
sasquatch
Art Expert

Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:03 pm

Need this. Where?
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:50 pm

sasquatch wrote:Need this. Where?
Mark Englert Sub Holder only.

No public sale.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:04 pm

http://expressobeans.com/members/detail ... 512/trades

Just keep an eye on this. More will pop up.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
jkw3000
EB Team

Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:24 pm

Don't worry guys...

there's treasure EVERYWHERE.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
GiantBoyDective
Art Freak

Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:40 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:
http://expressobeans.com/members/detail ... 512/trades

Just keep an eye on this. More will pop up.
BCS spotting on the ebay copy! Says ships from LA wonder if he's out here now/will be at gilded age??
Image #trollcru
danieldanger wrote:what you do aint hustlin. see, in MY hustle, i get to sell the whole run and each print only costs me like $6. y'alls is small potatoe street level fudge.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:41 pm

Ya'll gonna give each other dirty looks or just ignore each other completely?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
GiantBoyDective
Art Freak

Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:52 pm

fudge I'll point him out like a gd sideshow attraction. I'm trying to figure out a angle to do the same for you tbh. COME MEET the FAMOUS CODEBLUE!!! 5$ a person
Image #trollcru
danieldanger wrote:what you do aint hustlin. see, in MY hustle, i get to sell the whole run and each print only costs me like $6. y'alls is small potatoe street level fudge.
jmagee87
Art Expert

Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:59 pm

But why would I come to you if BCS will introduce us for $4?
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
Superfro33
Art Expert

Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:00 pm

GiantBoyDective wrote:BCS spotting on the ebay copy!
Good thing he didn't sell that sub!
GiantBoyDective
Art Freak

Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:06 pm

jmagee87 wrote:But why would I come to you if BCS will introduce us for $4?
he doesn't know who blue is.
Image #trollcru
jmagee87
Art Expert

Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:13 pm

GiantBoyDective wrote:
jmagee87 wrote:But why would I come to you if BCS will introduce us for $4?
he doesn't know who blue is.
So you mean I paid him $4 and he's not gonna deliver?!? Is there a good place to start a callout thread?
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.