Unsinkable Consumption 15 Fairey

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:37 pm

This topic is dedicated to: Unsinkable Consumption 15 Fairey

MrMattSteinberg
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:37 pm

:drool:
jjttdw
Art Expert

Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:16 pm

I like it but would like it even better if the ship was sinking bow first like the Titanic
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
geebee
Art Connoisseur

Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:44 am

jjttdw wrote:I like it but would like it even better if the ship was sinking bow first like the Titanic
Maybe that's it. Something isn't right for me related to the positioning of the boat. The straight lines. Its angle? I dunno, but something just seems off. So yeah, maybe it's just because it's sinking backwards. I bet this one backed into an iceberg.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:56 am

geebee wrote:
jjttdw wrote:I like it but would like it even better if the ship was sinking bow first like the Titanic
Maybe that's it. Something isn't right for me related to the positioning of the boat. The straight lines. Its angle? I dunno, but something just seems off. So yeah, maybe it's just because it's sinking backwards. I bet this one backed into an iceberg.
a. 1st smoke stack seems off center. If you remove it the ship is more "balanced".
b. the ship is of a modern design. modern ships don't use that type of smoke stack.
c. that background detail is too fine for the screen size they use to print, it's going to look like a mess
d. signed in the image on the horizon.
spagucci1
Art Expert

Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:15 pm

electrachrome wrote:
geebee wrote:
a. 1st smoke stack seems off center. If you remove it the ship is more "balanced".
b. the ship is of a modern design. modern ships don't use that type of smoke stack.
c. that background detail is too fine for the screen size they use to print, it's going to look like a mess
d. signed in the image on the horizon.
B. The ship is the Titanic. He is using the Titanic to be ironic. Take a look at old Titanic pictures.
C.the collage work is taken from the OG canvas
D. The image is of the OG canvas and that is where Shep decided to sign the canvas. There will be a pencil sig in the lower right as always.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:19 pm

Meh.... Not feeling it
bryndavies
Art Expert

Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:24 pm

Big meh here as well.
ImageT.K.C.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:08 pm

spagucci1 wrote: B. The ship is the Titanic. He is using the Titanic to be ironic. Take a look at old Titanic pictures.
C.the collage work is taken from the OG canvas
D. The image is of the OG canvas and that is where Shep decided to sign the canvas. There will be a pencil sig in the lower right as always.
I'm usually not this overly critical, this one just doesn't work for me.
comparing file images of the Titanic, your right. it's been reduced graphically to the point where it looks like a modern cruise ship, IMO.
He also got rid of the fore mast which is an iconic feature of the historic ship.
I get the other two points as well. again, I just don't feel like using an HPM/original collage translates well to screen prints and the "double" signature bit is distracting aesthetically. I owned this Johny Ramone print at one point and didn't keep it for the same reasons.

I get that as an artist he needs to mix it up now and then, I just feel his simpler graphic style is his stronger work.
spagucci1
Art Expert

Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:41 pm

Reading this comment made me think of the famous "I'm the king of the world!" scene in Titanic.
electrachrome wrote: He also got rid of the fore mast which is an iconic feature of the historic ship.

I definitely agree that some prints taken from OG HPMs dont work well. But I did think it worked well with the 2010 portrait series.
davidpesek
Art Connoisseur

Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:19 pm

well that sold out quicker than usual it seems like...
jpfondu
Art Expert

Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:22 pm

I really like it. I'm guessing a few other thought the same.
ErocAfellar
Art Expert

Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:56 pm

spagucci1 wrote: There will be a pencil sig in the lower right as always.

:wink:
HappaHaoli wrote:That is freaking Eroctic!
davidpesek
Art Connoisseur

Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:12 pm

jpfondu wrote:I really like it. I'm guessing a few other thought the same.
the background is what did it for me. a little diversity added to my collection
suchacyn
Art Connoisseur

Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:13 pm

Back up