Godzilla 15 Durieux

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
thescofieldkid
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:32 pm

Is this part of the 2015 Godzilla sub?
Collect them all. Before you Die®
frieddumpling
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:15 pm

I don't understand where the bottom half of Godzilla is. Very happy to have skipped this.
furnituremusic
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:38 pm

Obviously to each his own and like I wrote earlier, I love Durieux's work in general (especially the Hitchcock and Universal Monster stuff) but did we really need another Godzilla print?
Ralek

Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:47 pm

frieddumpling wrote:I don't understand where the bottom half of Godzilla is. Very happy to have skipped this.
Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but to me it seems there is no bottom half, and there is not supposed to be one, since it's just a part of the mushroom cloud that takes the shape and form of Godzilla ('s upper body). It's not like the image is trying to convey that Godzilla is actually standing within said mushroom cloud, but quite to the contrary, a metaphor for the horror and nightmare that is nuclear warfare and radiation ... as it gave birth to Godzilla. It's not the most subtle of metaphors I think, but still, I really do like it. The worst I can say is that there could be more detail in it, esp. one the right hand background shore. I'm glad I went for the reg, and I'm definitely going to keep it. I like it way better than the recent Mondo one, actually it's probably the best Godzilla one I've seen yet, although I really liked Laurie Greasley's take on it:

Btw, the Phantom City Creative one from I think last November had a similar motif for example. Anyways, I'm really not getting the "hate", but everyone is entitled to his view and taste :-D
fitz
Art Expert

Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:51 pm

I like LD's work but this isnt doing much for me - glad I resisted the urge to buy a print I was on the fence about in the sale
rfalk32
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:42 pm

Really like this take on Godzilla but I think its time to retire the subject matter.
Smith187
Art Enthusiast

Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:48 am

matowest wrote:
Bikejoh wrote:
matowest wrote:This definitely gives me the Die Hard vibe. My instant reaction was that his Die Hard was underwhelming, but seeing the variant in person made me change my opinion.
Yep, I bet that water detail is gonna be wet & wild
I'd assume silver metallics on the variant, too.
LD confirmed metallics on the variant on Facebook
matowest
Art Expert

Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:26 am

Smith187 wrote:
matowest wrote:
Bikejoh wrote:
matowest wrote:This definitely gives me the Die Hard vibe. My instant reaction was that his Die Hard was underwhelming, but seeing the variant in person made me change my opinion.
Yep, I bet that water detail is gonna be wet & wild
I'd assume silver metallics on the variant, too.
LD confirmed metallics on the variant on Facebook
:clap:
mangchi
Art Enthusiast

Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:10 am

Godzilla has mud butt, cool.
longchamps
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:27 pm

There are not really that many Godzilla posters. Yes there were like 4 that came out this year, but there were only like 1 or 2 others from big name artists before that. And there are 30(!) Godzilla movies so the well for material isn't exactly dry. I'd like to see some more monsters represented from other movies.
Hoccapuk
Art Enthusiast

Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:47 pm

Foils tomorrow, if they are anything like the way the "Its a wonderful life" foils turned out, we could be pleasantly surprised.
jonkino
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:18 am

Though it's growing on me each time I look at it I'm not a lover of this print at all, overall dissapointed and I'll probably move this on with a ton and other people as I missed the deadline for refunds. Too many Godzilla prints and with Laurant's love or European cinema was hoping for something a bit more original- title wise.

I'm also growing a bit tired of these very similar colour hues he is using recently. If he would more contrasting vibrant colour to it I think I would have liked it a lot more.
tylt33
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:47 am

mrw I've been holding in some gnarly gas all day and I finally get a moment of privacy
DickButt wrote:It's a miracle some of you are even able to turn on a computer.

Yes. The answer to your question is yes.
DjPhaze
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:32 am

The detail is gonna be insane on this one. Hurry up 9:30
bigfar
Art Enthusiast

Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:41 pm

Woop - got a canvas!