Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 15 Stevens

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:10 am

This topic is dedicated to: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 15 Stevens

kryptonite
Art Expert

Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:13 am

TMNT by Chris Stevens. Artistic interpretation of the 1989 film paying homage to the original comics. Oils on canvas, masterfully sepped & printed into an 8-colour screen print.

Fan art commission. Edition of 20.

Reg: Matte Inks on Rice Paper

Var: All Metallics / Comic Themed
Last edited by kryptonite on Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buckhammer
Art Expert

Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:16 am

Ugh, Ok artist style is great but this has a ton of problems. This is for the movie, why are there mousers?! and why does Leo have a red mask and worst of all WHERE ARE HIS LEGS!? I understand it's homage to the comics but jeez
RobJones wrote:Billy, how Everest was I last night?
kryptonite
Art Expert

Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:44 am

Buckhammer wrote:Ugh, Ok artist style is great but this has a ton of problems. This is for the movie, why are there mousers?! and why does Leo have a red mask and worst of all WHERE ARE HIS LEGS!? I understand it's homage to the comics but jeez
Agreed! Definitely not spot-on! It's comic artwork adapted for the film, thus the mousers.

Red mask = original comics. Legs = Mignola-esque layout / artistic style.

This is an odd film/comic hybric rather than something you'd see to promote the film. Trust me, it has nothing to do with not knowing the source material, else this wouldn't have been adapted into a film poster.

This is a love-letter to the turtles as a whole, in every medium. I'll echo your sentiment that it's definitely not a film-accurate one, but that doesn't make the fans who commissioned this appreciate it any less :pint:
matowest
Art Expert

Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:48 am

Not a big TMNT guy, but I like it. Unique. Kinda like that it's not literal. Nice job :clap:
RyanMarvin
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:51 am

Love it. Who did the separations?
punch
Art Expert

Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:52 am

:thumbdown:
Buckhammer
Art Expert

Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:54 am

Still why add the film titles and credits? Just do a TMNT homage. Doesnt make any sense to me.
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:00 pm

I like it.
kryptonite
Art Expert

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:04 pm

Buckhammer wrote:Still why add the film titles and credits? Just do a TMNT homage. Doesnt make any sense to me.
In the 80s/90s it wasn't uncommon to include pieces in the film poster which weren't actually in the film – hence the mousers.

There's a lot going on here that's outside the film, and a lot going on that only die-hard TMNT fans (speaking outside the film here) would pick up on. I expected this to be a love/hate piece, leaning towards the latter. Very different than the other commissions I've been a part of, but I'm equally as thrilled with it.
Buckhammer
Art Expert

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:10 pm

kryptonite wrote:
Buckhammer wrote:Still why add the film titles and credits? Just do a TMNT homage. Doesnt make any sense to me.
In the 80s/90s it wasn't uncommon to include pieces in the film poster which weren't actually in the film – hence the mousers.

There's a lot going on here that's outside the film, and a lot going on that only die-hard TMNT fans (speaking outside the film here) would pick up on. I expected this to be a love/hate piece, leaning towards the latter. Very different than the other commissions I've been a part of, but I'm equally as thrilled with it.
As long as the commission is happy great, but would have been pretty badass with just Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ( in japanese even)
kryptonite
Art Expert

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:11 pm

Buckhammer wrote:
kryptonite wrote:

As long as the commission is happy great, but would have been pretty badass with just Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ( in japanese even)
Agreed :) Love Stevens' take on the turtles. Very different from any film – unique to him.
gonzo303
Art Freak

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:14 pm

punch wrote: :thumbdown:
Same fudge, different drop.
bluestskies
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:24 pm

i like it. i think different is nice, a breath of fresh air instead of the same old. who commissioned it? and any photos of the rice paper?
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:14 pm

That one set will probably cost ya $600 shipped.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.