The Lord Of The Rings: Good 15 Jaccob

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
GiantBoyDective
Art Freak

Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:09 pm

Image #trollcru
danieldanger wrote:what you do aint hustlin. see, in MY hustle, i get to sell the whole run and each print only costs me like $6. y'alls is small potatoe street level fudge.
kall
Art Enthusiast

Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:30 pm

UrsusMorris wrote:Ok, so everything went off the rails in here, but i will say this--personally, i like Jeff. I've met him and hung out with his family. He's a cool person, never did anything wrong by me. And he ran his Barret Chapman "Taxi Driver" commission like a drymounting boss. And this "buffer" money you speak of was turned into a secret 4-metallics silver variant that nobody knew they were gettin until they received the tubes and opened them. That was drymountin cool. There were even about 8 or 10 OG sketches done by the artist that were all inserted into random tubes (by Jeff). I did not get one, and that was fine by me, it was completely random. There was no favoritism there.

Now, as far as this commission goes, i can't really add anything because i was not in it, so i don't know anything. I just wanted to say that Jeff ran a smooth commission in Taxi Driver, and personally i like the guy.
As a member of the commission, I think suggestions that Jeff is profiting from this are entirely off base.

Additionally, I believe there is a Harry Potter Diptych Johan commission in the works in case anyone is interested 8)
playa787
Art Expert

Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:39 pm

kall wrote:
UrsusMorris wrote:Ok, so everything went off the rails in here, but i will say this--personally, i like Jeff. I've met him and hung out with his family. He's a cool person, never did anything wrong by me. And he ran his Barret Chapman "Taxi Driver" commission like a drymounting boss. And this "buffer" money you speak of was turned into a secret 4-metallics silver variant that nobody knew they were gettin until they received the tubes and opened them. That was drymountin cool. There were even about 8 or 10 OG sketches done by the artist that were all inserted into random tubes (by Jeff). I did not get one, and that was fine by me, it was completely random. There was no favoritism there.

Now, as far as this commission goes, i can't really add anything because i was not in it, so i don't know anything. I just wanted to say that Jeff ran a smooth commission in Taxi Driver, and personally i like the guy.
As a member of the commission, I think suggestions that Jeff is profiting from this are entirely off base.

Additionally, I believe there is a Harry Potter Diptych Johan commission in the works in case anyone is interested 8)
But Hagrid is already in this print.
Last edited by playa787 on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"__________ is one of my favorite movies ever but that poster doesn't do it for me. -E.B.
danieldanger
LORD KINGSHIT

Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:57 pm

Froilan wrote:
danieldanger wrote:"Leads will spend 100 hours per commision"

This is not reality. None of this is real. If you're spending 100 hours art directing a goddamned LoTR print, you are being overbearing and the artist would be justified in murdering you.

Who said anything about art directing? They were talking about emailing and rolling prints. That's all. They would ask for a real fee for art directing on top of the 100 hours of rolling prints and emailing the artist if that were the case. ;)
the only person who took 100 hours to roll 80 prints was my old assistant. rimshot emoticon.
Bikejoh
Art Expert

Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:11 pm

If your commission isn't run as well as fourthstooge runs his group, you should just give up.

It also seems to be the same 2 people who (attempt to) profit off of commissions. I wasn't in the Barrett Taxi Driver commission, but the extra silver variant was a nice gesture and is probably where SOME of the extra money went.

Running a single commission is easy as fudge, from personal experience. You email back and forth with the artist and manage a few spreadsheets. ON NO PLANET DOES THAT DESERVE ANY KIND OF PAY

If you think it does, maybe you shouldn't be doing them. The only reward you should get is the satisfaction that the print exists, and that feeling really is more than enough.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:28 pm

jmagee87 wrote:
downforcemedia wrote:But by the end, my opinion is that Jeff worried too much about protecting Johan than communicating the commission members' suggestions and complaints.

There in lies what I think is a major issue with a lot of commissions. If you are going to lead a commission, you need to be willing to handle up on drama with in the group, and stand up to an artist for what you think needs to happen (to a point). At some level, yes, you do need to trust the artist's artistic vision. But you know when something you're looking at is bad and needs to be changed. I've seen too many commission leads be too afraid to request changes for fear of upsetting an artist. At the end of the day, you are hiring them to complete a piece of work to your satisfaction. You need to be able to make some suggestions, and the artist needs to be willing to listen. IMO, that's why you pay a deposit to most artists. If they dont live up to their end of the deal, you can cut ties and move on. They keep the deposit and thats the end of it. If the artist feels like the artwork is good, they can get it printed and sell it themselves to make up the rest of the money. Fortunately, I've never run into a commission that I just outright hated or couldnt get my money back on in the aftermarket.
Dat jingle all way doe :P

Ps DD bringing grimes into this thread :clap: :clap:
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
jmagee87
Art Expert

Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:34 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:

Shut up donkboat. Let me know when you've contributed something positive around here
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
rubberneck
Art God

Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:36 pm

The beginning of the end?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:41 pm

jmagee87 wrote:
RambosRemodeler wrote:

Shut up donkboat. Let me know when you've contributed something positive around here
My lack of contributions > dat jingle all the way. If that's "contributing", I want no part of it.

This thread has been a great read though. Some quality threads this summer. BCS thread is still probably the best
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
jmagee87
Art Expert

Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:53 pm

Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
MoviePosterEmpire

Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:59 pm

Bikejoh wrote:If your commission isn't run as well as fourthstooge runs his group, you should just give up.

It also seems to be the same 2 people who (attempt to) profit off of commissions. I wasn't in the Barrett Taxi Driver commission, but the extra silver variant was a nice gesture and is probably where SOME of the extra money went.

Running a single commission is easy as fudge, from personal experience. You email back and forth with the artist and manage a few spreadsheets. ON NO PLANET DOES THAT DESERVE ANY KIND OF PAY

If you think it does, maybe you shouldn't be doing them. The only reward you should get is the satisfaction that the print exists, and that feeling really is more than enough.

Is jimmybing the other one?
dweebofthedead
Art Expert

Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:11 pm

Easily one of the best threads of 2015. Thanks, y'all :D
playa787
Art Expert

Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:17 pm

What's the BCS thread? I need entertainment!
"__________ is one of my favorite movies ever but that poster doesn't do it for me. -E.B.
jeffreyjonesbsme
Art Expert

Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:26 pm

I don't owe anyone here an explanation.
But...I'm not avoiding anyone. I've been on travel and have had little time to keep up with anything online.
But I don't profit from my commissions. I do my best to break as closely as even as possible. My clause is just an explanation is case a little is left over. I'd had some crazies try and question where the money goes if I have $50 left over. I'm not going to refund everyone $1, just like I'm not going to charge everyone $1 if I make the mistake the other way.
And I too have had commissions where I've been in the hole.
If you have never run a commission, you have no idea the time it takes to run it. If you think I've spent less than 100 hours on LOTR...you are just kidding yourself. And I haven't even done any packing yet.
I'm not an attorney, so I tried my best to write something so everyone knew there were no secrets in how I do things. Again...very common. I've even had other commission leads copy my wording for their commissions.
I may have a few prints left over at the end that I may sell...but that's it.
And yes...if I've had more left over I throw in freebies and spend it. I did it with Taxi Driver and another commission I've done.
Usually, there is not any left over.
I asked Johan to join the LOTR group, because as the witch hunt grew stronger, and people were accusing Johan of things that were not true, I believed adding him to the group could help alleviate some concerns. Johan was fully aware he was stepping into a bee's nest. He's a classy guy and still said to add him.
I'm not a professional art director...I'm just a collector like all the rest of you. I volunteer to do commissions because I love the process. It's not for money...it's not for the attention...it's because I enjoy it (when it goes smoothly).
Buffers are very common. These cover unexpected costs. Extra screens being made or extra colors needing added. Sometimes trapping costs run more than expected.
Chapman Indy commission fiasco...not one person had the entire picture and any guesses are ridiculous. $5000? Laughable. The commission was in the planning stages (by two commission leads) and some unbelievable freebies were being worked into the commission that no one knew about. The price point was going to be unbelievable for the set. The commission was canceled when people were contacting the artist and threating him. The group was only active for a very short time. A few days...weeks?
I work with artists on commissions. If you think I have any real control over them, you are mistaken. All the group can do is make suggestions. Many times I've had artists just say no to suggestions. Other artists are more inviting to suggestions. Some artists just give you what they draw and say "here it is". It's a partnership.
I know many are not enjoying the way these turned out.
But most in the group want to honor our commitments. Only 7 have said they would be open to a partial refund if possible.
I know a lot of you are really enjoying all this drama...but I'm not. I really wanted this to turn out to be a set people would love.
Johan is very talented...but this was just a miss. Look at some of his other work and you'll see just how good he is.
This is in no way a slam to Johan. I have nothing but respect for him.
I'm not here to keep beating a dead horse.
Some asked why I was not commenting...well...I have.
The group knows I will never abandon them and I can always be reached in the group.
Most of what you read on the internet is not true....signed Abraham Lincoln