Grateful Dead Chicago 15 Masthay

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
whiskaz
Art Expert

Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:12 pm

bryndavies wrote:Maybe that's what I'm missing. I don't have Facebook. Are there actual photos of the hard copy? I've only seen the JPEG mockups dostributed in the email.
Pretty sure he's talking about mock ups. I didn't see any pics of the sparkle foil in the flesh.

Man, I thought everyone hated foils (ftr, I dig them, I don't care) :P These are rad as is but the foil would have been killer.
jiggaj
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:19 pm

he had to have made them as these are reduction prints

that must have hurt to either destroy them or ship them off to GDP
bryndavies
Art Expert

Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:45 pm

whiskaz wrote:
bryndavies wrote:Maybe that's what I'm missing. I don't have Facebook. Are there actual photos of the hard copy? I've only seen the JPEG mockups dostributed in the email.
Pretty sure he's talking about mock ups. I didn't see any pics of the sparkle foil in the flesh.

Man, I thought everyone hated foils (ftr, I dig them, I don't care) :P These are rad as is but the foil would have been killer.

Ok, thanks whiz!
jiggaj wrote:he had to have made them as these are reduction prints

Reduction prints?
ImageT.K.C.
dmm8878
Art Expert

Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:47 pm

My first thought was that 50 people had already emailed him today and offered $800 for the foil set, so he went and sold them and started counting his money. I should probably take off my tin foil hat.
ottomatik71 wrote:Your punk ass attitude isn't going to help you get this print.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:48 pm

bryndavies wrote:
jiggaj wrote:he had to have made them as these are reduction prints

Reduction prints?
linoleum block prints
kind of the same thing with screen printing, if you are going to do a run on a different stock theres a 99% chance that you would be running/printing them at the same time as the original print run.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
jiggaj
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:49 pm

a style of printing linoleum/block prints where you carve away material from the block in order to print the next color.

thus, you can never print them again.

he *may* have done multiple blocks for this one, but i would not expect him to, as reduction is his process with all others.

not sure why it's listed as silkscreen
bryndavies
Art Expert

Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:54 pm

ah, i see what's going on here. i know hat a lino print is and how's it's made, so now that reduction term makes sense. however, i would have thunk this artist edition of 50 was part of the original run, which that tells us that if so, the sparkle does exist.
ImageT.K.C.
jiggaj
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:56 pm

precisely
applehead
Art Expert

Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:08 pm

GD police werent having it. thats my opinion.
whiskaz
Art Expert

Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:27 pm

Thanks for the process info. Makes sense I guess. Odd to publicly announce the sale without permission and risk this sort of outcome but who knows?!
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:29 pm

dmm8878 wrote:My first thought was that 50 people had already emailed him today and offered $800 for the foil set, so he went and sold them and started counting his money. I should probably take off my tin foil hat.
Huh, my first thought was someone (associated with the FTW productio) saw the $400 price and took a look at what's going on in the secondary market and said, "mine!" That' easy scratch to steal, er, I mean, re-appropriate. Tin foil indeed.
I'm not someone else.
o4phish20o
Art Expert

Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:39 pm

I think the band, family, close friends and crew liked the foil editions themselves and are the prints they will keep for their own personal archives. Those foils were pretty bad ass. Thus, "GD police" caught wind and had them all reallocated to the band. But allowed AJ tol sell his regular edition extras.
pvecchi
Art Expert

Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:58 pm

o4phish20o wrote:I think the band, family, close friends and crew liked the foil editions themselves and are the prints they will keep for their own personal archives. Those foils were pretty bad ass. Thus, "GD police" caught wind and had them all reallocated to the band. But allowed AJ tol sell his regular edition extras.
I think you are probably right. Hopefully there was some compromise and AJ got paid for them as well
Timbrh2001
Art Expert

Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:48 pm

o4phish20o wrote:I think the band, family, close friends and crew liked the foil editions themselves and are the prints they will keep for their own personal archives. Those foils were pretty bad ass. Thus, "GD police" caught wind and had them all reallocated to the band. But allowed AJ tol sell his regular edition extras.
I doubt that. He was allowed his allocation of 50 (like everyone else) when he signed the contract. Contract probably had some language in it like Phish concert prints do that state artists cant print off and sell variants.
bryndavies
Art Expert

Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:20 pm

Timbrh2001 wrote:
I doubt that. He was allowed his allocation of 50 (like everyone else) when he signed the contract. Contract probably had some language in it like Phish concert prints do that state artists cant print off and sell variants.

I'm with timber, aka jerry the mule.
ImageT.K.C.