Rohner Letterpress 10th Anniversary 07 Pollock

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:33 pm

arodri70
Art Expert

Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:33 pm

for sale on pollockprints.com
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:32 pm

arodri70 wrote:for sale on pollockprints.com
How about some opinions? Why does it seem like he's not putting a lot of time into these recent prints........using old images ect.
pjposters3
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:38 pm

Grateful69Phish wrote:
How about some opinions? Why does it seem like he's not putting a lot of time into these recent prints........using old images ect.
Agreed. Not a fan.
macc5
EB Team

Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:45 pm

Grateful69Phish wrote:
um.. block prints take quite a bit of time and this one I am sure is no different.
pjposters3
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:47 pm

macc5 wrote:
Grateful69Phish wrote:
um.. block prints take quite a bit of time and this one I am sure is no different.
I think he was more saying that the detail in this does not begin to rival the detail in most Pollock's.

Actually don't let me speak for him. I'll say it. The detail in this does not begin to rival the detail in most Pollock's.
macc5
EB Team

Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:52 pm

pjposters3 wrote:
macc5 wrote:
Grateful69Phish wrote:
I think he was more saying that the detail in this does not begin to rival the detail in most Pollock's.

Actually don't let me speak for him. I'll say it. The detail in this does not begin to rival the detail in most Pollock's.
got ya..

actually this may have more detail than any pollock.. I think this is a 10 color print

I know Jim spent a bunch of hours carving the blocks..

I am sure Jason knows how many it was
pjposters3
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:06 pm

macc5 wrote:
pjposters3 wrote:
macc5 wrote:
Grateful69Phish wrote: How about some opinions? Why does it seem like he's not putting a lot of time into these recent prints........using old images ect.

got ya..

actually this may have more detail than any pollock.. I think this is a 10 color print

Yeah I guess it depends on how you look at it. I wouldn't describe large areas of color as detail necessarily. The "black" plate looks to me like the only one that has minute detail, other than the text which appears to just be a traced typeface.

I'm not discounting the time it takes to carve blocks. But this image seems like it would be MUCH less time consuming than when he does hand lettering and background details.

And since he's not hand printing them, registration issues aren't as bad once you get the press set up. So once the rough art was finished I bet he got this done more quickly than you might think.

But then again, what the hell do I know. I'm just guessing based on my limited knowledge.
phishbeatles
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:36 pm

pjposters3 wrote:
macc5 wrote:
pjposters3 wrote:
macc5 wrote: um.. block prints take quite a bit of time and this one I am sure is no different.

got ya..

Yeah I guess it depends on how you look at it. I wouldn't describe large areas of color as detail necessarily. The "black" plate looks to me like the only one that has minute detail, other than the text which appears to just be a traced typeface.

I'm not discounting the time it takes to carve blocks. But this image seems like it would be MUCH less time consuming than when he does hand lettering and background details.

And since he's not hand printing them, registration issues aren't as bad once you get the press set up. So once the rough art was finished I bet he got this done more quickly than you might think.

But then again, what the hell do I know. I'm just guessing based on my limited knowledge.
This was just an extra kinda added bonus thrown into the subs for this year really. I don't think he put nearly the effort into this as he does a show print per say.
deliahdelyon
Art Freak

Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:42 pm

I absolutely love this print! I am a letterpress and pop art junky so this Rohner piece is right up my alley. I personally really dig the color choices as well. Since when does a piece have to have crazy detail to be good? I have a ton of prints that are super simple yet kick much ass! (By the way there is insane detail in George's head if it really matters to you :wink: )
pjposters3
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:53 pm

Yeah please don't get me wrong - I wasn't really knocking this print. I just enjoy the style of some of his other prints better. I like hand lettering and lots of lines. But simple certainly doesn't equate to "bad".

Some of my favorite pieces are letterpress prints.

But I still do think that he could create a piece like this in less time than the others in the style I'm referring to above.
Last edited by pjposters3 on Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pjposters3
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:58 pm

phishbeatles wrote:
This was just an extra kinda added bonus thrown into the subs for this year really. I don't think he put nearly the effort into this as he does a show print per say.
Agreed, 100%. That was a really easy way to say exactly what I was trying to get across. Thank you.

Nice bonus for subscribers.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:02 pm

pjposters3 wrote:
phishbeatles wrote:
Agreed, 100%. That was a really easy way to say exactly what I was trying to get across. Thank you.

Nice bonus for subscribers.
You'all hit all my thoughts........ the amount of blocks/colors doesnt really excite me, its the detail and creativity in a print that I seek.
cubbiephan
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:17 pm

the detail in george's head in unbelievable. jim had the block out during his open house this summer, and it was really impressive. i'd love to show a pic, but don't want to give away site-supporter info.

jason....will you post it for all the critics?
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:40 pm

cubbiephan wrote:the detail in george's head in unbelievable. jim had the block out during his open house this summer, and it was really impressive. i'd love to show a pic, but don't want to give away site-supporter info.

jason....will you post it for all the critics?
Thats difficult to tell from the forum photograph .........but lets not put me on the complete critic side, for I still didn't hestitate to support Mr. Pollock with another sale.