Tenacious D Higher Ground 01 JDK/Stout

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:27 pm

This topic is dedicated to: Tenacious D Higher Ground 01 JDK/Stout

dwlfennell
Art Connoisseur

Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:02 pm

Found this is a book called "1 of 1500" that documents the collaboration between JDK Design, Higher Ground, and the Iskra Print Collective.
Tyler Stout wrote:I was attending college at Western Washington University in lovely Bellingham, Washington, and happened to walk into my design teacher's office and see him chatting with a smallish wiry person who introduced himself as Joe Peila. Joe mentioned he was looking for someone who could draw. I tricked him into thinking I could, and he asked me to draw some stuff for a poster he was working on, for a band called Tenacious D. The only drawback: he needed everything the next day. So, with a one-day deadline, I ditched classes, went home, and basically worked all night, and the next morning had a bunch of ideas, thinking "maybe they'll use one of these." And instead they ended up using all of them. Joe Peila was the brains behind the layout, etc.. Without his art direction/ideas, the poster would have turned out very different.

The idea is that the poster works either right-side up or upside down, and the small sketched include references to all of the D's songs.
...and thus Tyler Stout was discovered. Well, I'm not sure - think he was doing some flyers for Graceland and Berbati's around the same time. Maybe his first screen print though?
canuck
Art Freak

Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:38 pm

Love this band. Wanna seem them live SSOOooooo bad.
theperfecttree
EB Team

Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:45 pm

let's see some better pics of this!
dwlfennell
Art Connoisseur

Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:48 pm

If it's sufficiently flat, I'll try to snap some better pictures tonight.
posterjunkie
Art Enthusiast

Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:54 pm

These are not signed or numbered, as is true for all the early, Higher Ground Winooski posters, most were editions of around 300.

Jacob
http://www.ConcertPosterArt.com
mixmastermarflow2001
Art Connoisseur

Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:07 pm

Anyone got a line on one of these for sale or trade? Local to Vt and was at this show and been looking for two decades for this. Cash or trade or mouth hugs