Chum Chart 15 Petrie

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
tranito
Art Expert

Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:27 pm

bomb wrote:
jrsheppa wrote:
rubberneck wrote:
bomb wrote:Why are people hating on this? Is this artist that is not allowed to have a sought after print? A few poster artists have already remarked that this is the best take on Jaws yet.
I think it's fantastic but you can literally feel the push on to make it more than the sum of it's parts on the aftermarket.
Seems like a nice print, and I love maps, but it just feels a little gimicky. He did a great job, and I would like to see it in person to see how it holds up, but overall, it isn't better than Durieux's.
Well it doesn't have to be in a dick measuring contest with Durieux's. It is better than the minimally creative Stout - Star Trek though. :wink:
Of course there's the art and people will state if they prefer one or the other, but underneath it, as soon as someone thinks Jaws Durieux, it's the price chart that comes in people's mind, at least to anyone interested in the SSS. Believe me, most people here are.
Plus not only is there the infamous Jaws Durieux chart to dream of and jerk off to, but that exact concept/design of doing a map with the creature shaping into an island was also used by Durieux on his CFTBL, so that's one more Durieux reference/comparison.

I think Petrie did a great job. I also think people around here use whatever they can to drive/hype the drymount out of a print whenever they can. Both can co-exist, that's for sure.
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:56 pm

I think it's a really great print. It would look great framed/hung up. I like both this and LD.
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:56 pm

bomb wrote:
jrsheppa wrote:
rubberneck wrote:
bomb wrote:Why are people hating on this? Is this artist that is not allowed to have a sought after print? A few poster artists have already remarked that this is the best take on Jaws yet.
I think it's fantastic but you can literally feel the push on to make it more than the sum of it's parts on the aftermarket.
Seems like a nice print, and I love maps, but it just feels a little gimicky. He did a great job, and I would like to see it in person to see how it holds up, but overall, it isn't better than Durieux's.
Well it doesn't have to be in a dick measuring contest with Durieux's. It is better than the minimally creative Stout - Star Trek though. :wink:
What, are you Petrie's fluffer or something? I was responding to your statement: "A few poster artists have already remarked that this is the best take on Jaws yet." No one is saying its a dick measuring contest, just a civil conversation comparing different artists' prints for a movie.
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:01 pm

Let's be honest: initially, a majority of the reaction to Durieux's poster was lukewarm at best. If both the Petrie and Durieux had dropped simultaneously, most folks would have gone for Petrie's, no question. It was only after Spielberg bought some copies of the Durieux for his friends and the asking prices started climbing, did people start going apeshit for it.

Both prints are great in their own ways and showcase a ton of detail and hard work. Petrie has been around for a while, and this is shaping up to be his "breakthrough print." Good for him.
lsmith55
Art Expert

Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:06 pm

Anthony Petrie is extremely underrated. I own a couple of his prints- got the samurai hanging in my den.
RiotAct
EB Team

Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:12 pm

rubberneck wrote:
I can only feel it figuratively
Wockenfuss
Art Expert

Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:17 pm

rubberneck wrote:Snagged one on ebay on Sat night. :pint:
I'm with you - I checked eBay every 5-10 minutes Saturday night, and picked up the first one (reg) that was posted.
I Heart Haddonfield.
bomb
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:27 pm

jrsheppa wrote:What, are you Petrie's fluffer or something? I was responding to your statement: "A few poster artists have already remarked that this is the best take on Jaws yet." No one is saying its a dick measuring contest, just a civil conversation comparing different artists' prints for a movie.
Yeah I fluff him up. Hopefully I do good enough of a job starting him up that he can paint a map on your face with a great white load. Why don't you go find another ISO thread to fudge on.
jrsheppa wrote:Damn, why is this not already locked? What is it about this Jaws print that is so damn special?
Superfro33
Art Expert

Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:36 pm

Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:48 pm

Lotta manchile angst up in hur.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:16 pm

bomb wrote:
jrsheppa wrote:What, are you Petrie's fluffer or something? I was responding to your statement: "A few poster artists have already remarked that this is the best take on Jaws yet." No one is saying its a dick measuring contest, just a civil conversation comparing different artists' prints for a movie.
Yeah I fluff him up. Hopefully I do good enough of a job starting him up that he can paint a map on your face with a great white load. Why don't you go find another ISO thread to fudge on.
jrsheppa wrote:Damn, why is this not already locked? What is it about this Jaws print that is so damn special?
I don't think that what I posted was shitting on anything. His offer is crazy good for this print, especially offering up a Stout GotG.

You seem to think I think the print is bad. I don't. I am just with rubberneck in not understanding the crazy demand. Here's something else I don't understand: your super-aggressive attitude towards anyone who says anything resembling criticism at all.
Last edited by jrsheppa on Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wockenfuss
Art Expert

Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:17 pm

bomb wrote:Why don't you go find another ISO thread to fudge on.
Maybe I took it the wrong way, but his "why isn't this done yet" comment makes it sound like the seller's offer is a great one. I think it can only help.

Edit: As perfectly summed up right above me.
I Heart Haddonfield.
automator
Nobody

Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:58 pm

New image Chum Chart 15 Petrie - Detail

automator
Nobody

New image Chum Chart 15 Petrie - Detail

automator
Nobody