Sunsetter 15 Horkey

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
ejg904
Art Expert

Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:29 pm

Mun wrote: I guess people with money aren't known for having brains though
definitely not in my experiences at least
Shut up, ya poor
Chico wrote:
i work in sales. w2 last year was +150K, this year, at 87% of year goal to date and on pace for +200K

want to compare bank accounts, wives, and art portfolios?
goldenrose
Art Expert

Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:14 pm

Typically, I think an artist gets around 50% of what the gallery is asking. Aaron is incredibly fair about what he charges. To some it may not seem that way but they probably are not aware of the amount of hours that go into creating these pieces. He knows exactly what he is doing. When an artist is booked solid for a year they are charging by the hour - no matter what they do.
the reckless are out wrecking, the timid plead their pleas - robert hunter
Cragars
Art Expert

Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:31 pm

Dude is at the top of his game and still charges less for his time than other professions would.
jkw3000
EB Team

Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:39 pm

Considering the price tag didn't exactly deter a flood of orders once the preview got sent...

It's damn pricey but given the demand, not surprised at all.

Man there'd better be a print run someday... :drool:
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
DarkenedShrine
Art Expert

Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:51 pm

jkw3000 wrote:Man there'd better be a print run someday... :drool:
ImageImageImage
SurfingJeff
Art Expert

Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:55 pm

Cragars wrote:This is the first painting I've seen from him that looks and feels "fine art"

Don't really have the ability/sources to justify that opinion and certainly don't intend to downgrade anything done in the past. Just sort of strikes me that way. Maybe because he backed off and didn't add background, clouds and such, and just let the texture and underlying layer do the work.
Glad someone else picked up on this. I think it's interesting to see Aaron using some abstraction and negative space compared to the overwhelming intricacy of his pen and ink illustrations.
T.H.C.
Mun
Art Enthusiast

Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:27 am

Sorry to upset the sacred horkey cult but I'm entitled to my opinions like everyone else right or wrong. Don't like it? remember, it's not yours.
You can justify, or attempt to, at least, a $12k 10x10 mini OG purchase, but even if he charged 100k for it, some idiot would still buy it up and attempt some self-justification.

mo money mo problems less brains
GiantBoyDective
Art Freak

Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:29 am

poors gonna poor
Image #trollcru
danieldanger wrote:what you do aint hustlin. see, in MY hustle, i get to sell the whole run and each print only costs me like $6. y'alls is small potatoe street level fudge.
deancc
Art Expert

Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:15 am

Mun wrote:Sorry to upset the sacred horkey cult but I'm entitled to my opinions like everyone else right or wrong. Don't like it? remember, it's not yours.
You can justify, or attempt to, at least, a $12k 10x10 mini OG purchase, but even if he charged 100k for it, some idiot would still buy it up and attempt some self-justification.

mo money mo problems less brains
No one is upset. People just think you're a dick.
murdock
Art Expert

Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:37 am

:lol:
Don’t deal with MillerTime04 - he’s a scammer
wapalms
Art Expert

Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:21 am

goldenrose wrote:Typically, I think an artist gets around 50% of what the gallery is asking. Aaron is incredibly fair about what he charges. To some it may not seem that way but they probably are not aware of the amount of hours that go into creating these pieces. He knows exactly what he is doing. When an artist is booked solid for a year they are charging by the hour - no matter what they do.
My buddy runs a gallery over here in oz and the way it works, here anyway, is the Artist tells the Gallery what they want for it, the Gallery then puts it's commission on top of that, %45 is around the norm, having said that, let me say this, if I had 12K floating around I'd have jumped on it in a heartbeat, no substitute for an OG.
Image Image X2
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:04 am

wapalms wrote:
goldenrose wrote:Typically, I think an artist gets around 50% of what the gallery is asking. Aaron is incredibly fair about what he charges. To some it may not seem that way but they probably are not aware of the amount of hours that go into creating these pieces. He knows exactly what he is doing. When an artist is booked solid for a year they are charging by the hour - no matter what they do.
My buddy runs a gallery over here in oz and the way it works, here anyway, is the Artist tells the Gallery what they want for it, the Gallery then puts it's commission on top of that, %45 is around the norm, having said that, let me say this, if I had 12K floating around I'd have jumped on it in a heartbeat, no substitute for an OG.
I was wondering the other day how this worked, so thank you for explaining it. I never did know what the galleries' typical take is on a piece they sell as part of a show. And I totally agree with you. If 12K was readily available without having to make a ton of sacrifices, I also would have put my name on the list. I really love the image. :notworthy:
So it goes...
taylorph
Art Expert

Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:56 pm

12k really isn't an absurd price. Especially considering that the gallery is taking half of that. For how popular his stuff is, he could have easily asked for more than 6k.

I visited thinkspace this weekend and it is a pretty great show. Definitely worth checking it out if you're in the area.
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:59 pm

Doubt the gallery got 50% on this. Depending on the artist, they can have the gallery take a much smaller comish on the piece.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
taylorph
Art Expert

Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:13 pm

I'd be surprised if he only got 6k too. Wonder how much he tries to get per hour.
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...