Sunsetter 15 Horkey

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
Timbrh2001
Art Expert

Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:20 pm

Codeblue wrote:Doubt the gallery got 50% on this. Depending on the artist, they can have the gallery take a much smaller comish on the piece.
Yeah, I might have missed a couple prices but I think Sunsetter basically doubled the cost of the next highest piece for sale.

Highly doubt they're gonna demand 50% from Aaron when they know that he's still gonna bring them as much, if not, more money than any other artist participating.
shredkeenan
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:21 pm

Horkey is my favorite artist, but no way in hell would I drop $12K on Sunsetter even if I had the cash in my art fund, ready to spend. Comparatively, you can get so much more for your money elsewhere, even from artists more popular than Aaron. I didn't get the preview for this show, but I'd bet that at that price it was the most expensive one there.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:34 pm

shredkeenan wrote:but I'd bet that at that price it was the most expensive one there.
By a lot.
So it goes...
HappaHaoli
Art Expert

Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:39 pm

shredkeenan wrote:I didn't get the preview for this show, but I'd bet that at that price it was the most expensive one there.
There were some real deals in here... http://thinkspacegallery.com/shows/la-f ... ow-pieces/
Image x6 ImageImage x2
"I had this dream where I relished the fray, and the screaming filled my head all day."
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:58 pm

Wasn't particularly impressed with any of it. Artists rarely put their A game work into a group show. Why should they?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:03 pm

Codeblue wrote:Wasn't particularly impressed with any of it. Artists rarely put their A game work into a group show. Why should they?
Cross pollination. Allows them to pick up fans that might not have noticed them otherwise. Mashburn is an example of this for me. I'd never seen his stuff before, but now he's on my radar. So I guess it might depend on how well known the artist already is.
So it goes...
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:07 pm

The benefits of a group show are obvious. Duh. But as mentioned, they rarely if ever put their best fudge into it. Stick around for a while, and you'll realize that.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Timbrh2001
Art Expert

Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:08 pm

Codeblue wrote:The benefits of a group show are obvious. Duh. But as mentioned, they rarely if ever put their best fudge into it. Stick around for a while, and you'll realize that.
He's right though, before this show I'd never heard of this Baron Von Horkley character everyone has been :drool: :drool: :drool: over lately...
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:22 pm

fair enough.
So it goes...
mattlew69
Art Expert

Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:48 pm

I bet the person that spent $12,000 is really happy to hear that Aaron didn't put his best fudge into it.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:49 pm

Like he would give a fudge. Prolly already turned around and moved it for 15.
automator
Nobody

Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:59 pm

New image Sunsetter 15 Horkey
At Thinkspace

automator
Nobody

Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:59 pm

New image Sunsetter 15 Horkey - Detail

SurfingJeff
Art Expert

Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:25 am

So Decker and I were geeking out over Sunsetter this morning, and came up with two potentially intriguing observations:

1. What do you make of the object in the lower right hand corner of the painting? It almost looks like some combination of the plant and the birds helmet growing together. More intriguingly, could it be the tattered remains of a discarded helmet that the bird has shed - almost molting like a snake sheds his skin as his helmet develops over time?

2. Notice that the moth is impaled on the birds beak, but not in a very effective position for him to eat. Instead of a potential meal, could the bird be using it like a lure to attract bigger and better prey (like a nice, juicy manta)? The barb on the end of his helmet is perfectly poised to impale anything that gets too curious about the moth, and that reptilian tail looks like it could be used to grasp or manipulate his catch.
T.H.C.
Whitey9457
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:06 am

SurfingJeff wrote:So Decker and I were geeking out over Sunsetter this morning, and came up with two potentially intriguing observations:

1. What do you make of the object in the lower right hand corner of the painting? It almost looks like some combination of the plant and the birds helmet growing together. More intriguingly, could it be the tattered remains of a discarded helmet that the bird has shed - almost molting like a snake sheds his skin as his helmet develops over time?

2. Notice that the moth is impaled on the birds beak, but not in a very effective position for him to eat. Instead of a potential meal, could the bird be using it like a lure to attract bigger and better prey (like a nice, juicy manta)? The barb on the end of his helmet is perfectly poised to impale anything that gets too curious about the moth, and that reptilian tail looks like it could be used to grasp or manipulate his catch.

without knowing anything about Horkey or his art (i'm a noob), my first thought was that the "helmet" is the top half of the cocoon that the moth came out of (or was ripped out of) and the other piece is the rest of the cocoon.