Pulp Fiction 14 Durieux

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
MatchsMalone
Art Expert

Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:28 am

Sierradelfuego wrote:
MaseWiN1 wrote:
whiskaz wrote:Or yea, just look at the current stock... and subtract :P

10k - 7,644... ed of 2,356 with a few hours to go. I'm sure there will be some sold "offline" etc but that # should be relatively close at the end of the day.
Where is that tab located ? I don't see anything like that on the mondo site.
Wow, I figured it would be a lot higher since the Moss Dark Knight was like 9500.
But that one was basically a $40 raffle ticket for a free Olly Moss private commission.
Because it's the print we deserve, but not the one we need right now. So we'll hunt it.

Let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet.
postulio
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:33 pm

FrankBooth wrote:
postulio wrote:I'm passing on this. Even though I'm a huge Pulp Fiction fan (it's my favorite movie), this print just doesn't do it for me. The artwork is very plain and just a mish mash of story elements from the film completely out of order (I would've much preferred he made this scene as it appeared in the film). Furthermore I think Jules and Vince look pretty terrible here... It's just very amateurish all around, I would be embarrassed to hang this in the film room.

Having said that, the colors are nice.
Big fan as well and fairly undecided, wish the pictures were higher quality but his style its kinda hard to tell without a real shot or in front of you.

The issue is PF wasn't about one scene or character but the interwoven stories, I'm assuming that was the idea behind his effort and I don't know if someone else could of done too much better.

Pulp Fiction was not about interwoven stories. It was a singular narrative told in broken chronological order, this was done on purpose because Tarantino felt that when the story played out linearly, it lacked empathy. An example of a movie with interwoven stories would be Doug Liman's Go.

Nevertheless, there is a distinct current of events within the film, which this print negates (or rather, ignores). The print looks and feels like a scene, a window into the movie, but upon careful study you see that it is just a mashup of all the different story arcs and elements of Pulp Fiction's world. It is an intriguing idea, but somehow it just doesn't sit well...

If we're gonna do a scene/character mashup, I far prefer Budich's take (granted it's a rip off of Stout's style)

After looking at Durieux's print pictures on Mondo all weekend it occured to me that I didn't like the print artwork much either. I like Durieux's style - clean and classy - but too many elements in this print look 'off' to me: Vince and Jules just look poorly drawn. Zed and Grace dont look right, ditto for Mr. Wallace and the Civic. Monster Joe's pick up truck looks very plain and toyish - in fact, why is it even there, there was never a pickup in the movie, seems like Durieux did everything he possibly could to inject every mention of everything from the movie into the print... it's just a mess.

To me, this print is a poster child for what's wrong with the movie art scene. If artists are floating their work on the basis of how many movie callbacks they can put into a single piece, and fans dig it, it becomes more about the movie and less about the art. This piece I felt fails on both levels.
Last edited by postulio on Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bryndavies
Art Expert

Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:36 pm

I ended up passing. Just too many prints and other things to buy this season, and this one just didn't make the cut.
ImageT.K.C.
Particle
Art Expert

Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:40 pm

bryndavies wrote:I ended up passing. Just too many prints and other things to buy this season, and this one just didn't make the cut.

Same here. An understandable must-have and easy purchase for Durieux fanatics and completionists but the poster itself fell short for me.
postulio
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:44 pm

bryndavies wrote:I ended up passing. Just too many prints and other things to buy this season, and this one just didn't make the cut.
And theres that. I went for Hypostasis, Raid71's Don't Walk AP and picked up a Becca print from 1xRun's archive sale this weekend. I'm definitely done w/ prints for a while, gonna try to sell a few off in January in fact.

edit 3 hours later:

Aaaaand Sperry tempted me into another print.... lol. "Music" really is a beautiful piece though
bikewrecked
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:34 am

Timbrh2001 wrote:
Sierradelfuego wrote:
MaseWiN1 wrote:
whiskaz wrote:Or yea, just look at the current stock... and subtract :P

10k - 7,644... ed of 2,356 with a few hours to go. I'm sure there will be some sold "offline" etc but that # should be relatively close at the end of the day.
Wow, I figured it would be a lot higher since the Moss Dark Knight was like 9500.
Mondo hype dyin.
Moss Dark Knight was Batman, also cheaper, also the middle of summer.
fredo
Art God

Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:41 am

Likes the Budich, thinks Durieux's is "off"/embarrassing/indicative a larger "problem". Got it.
just a foil for me today, thanks
Timbrh2001
Art Expert

Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:42 am

bikewrecked wrote:
Timbrh2001 wrote:
Sierradelfuego wrote:
MaseWiN1 wrote:
Mondo hype dyin.
Moss Dark Knight was Batman, also cheaper, also the middle of summer.
Right now is the season of opening up your wallet. Mos def dat hype dyin.
Wockenfuss
Art Expert

Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:06 am

fredo wrote:Likes the Budich, thinks Durieux's is "off"/embarrassing/indicative a larger "problem". Got it.
My thoughts exactly. I like Budich, and I completely understand if someone does not like the Durieux. But saying that the Durieux is "embarrassing" and "part of a larger problem" is just so silly that it makes it impossible to take any other comments from the author seriously.

I think the Durieux is pretty great and was happy to order.
I Heart Haddonfield.
bert
Art Expert

Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:16 am

Durieux is one of my favourite film poster artists and I love Pulp Fiction, but I passed. I think it's a fun print and it makes me smile, but I didn't really feel the need to own it for some reason.
sephirot8
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:39 pm

FrankBooth wrote:
postulio wrote:I'm passing on this. Even though I'm a huge Pulp Fiction fan (it's my favorite movie), this print just doesn't do it for me. The artwork is very plain and just a mish mash of story elements from the film completely out of order (I would've much preferred he made this scene as it appeared in the film). Furthermore I think Jules and Vince look pretty terrible here... It's just very amateurish all around, I would be embarrassed to hang this in the film room.

Having said that, the colors are nice.
Big fan as well and fairly undecided, wish the pictures were higher quality but his style its kinda hard to tell without a real shot or in front of you.

The issue is PF wasn't about one scene or character but the interwoven stories, I'm assuming that was the idea behind his effort and I don't know if someone else could of done too much better.
Amateurish??? Are you serious man???
That was a ridiculous comment
sephirot8
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:42 pm

Sorry frank the comment i made was for postulio of course
postulio
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:09 pm

Wockenfuss wrote:
fredo wrote:Likes the Budich, thinks Durieux's is "off"/embarrassing/indicative a larger "problem". Got it.
My thoughts exactly. I like Budich, and I completely understand if someone does not like the Durieux. But saying that the Durieux is "embarrassing" and "part of a larger problem" is just so silly that it makes it impossible to take any other comments from the author seriously.

You misunderstood. I don't like Budich, I like that particular print. I also like Durieux, I just don't like this particular print.

Durieux's work is actually [usually] counter to the problems plaguing the movie art scene, but then something like this comes out and it's just... trashy. It is not hard to imagine the dollar signs in everyone's eyes when negotiating this commission.

Budich is the opposite, his work is just blatant knock off, and most of it not very good to boot.

But it's all a bell curve... each have their standout prints, good and bad.
sephirot8 wrote: Amateurish??? Are you serious man???
Yes I am serious. This is one of Durieux's worst, even after the many errors he fixed.

I'm happy for everyone who really liked it and got it. My opinion on this piece of art is negative, I would never let this taint my walls, but that is what taste is all about, to each their own, we're here just discussing each other's views.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:54 pm

What errors were present besides the 'H' in Christopher? That's the only one I was aware of.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
sephirot8
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:56 pm

postulio wrote:
Wockenfuss wrote:

You misunderstood. I don't like Budich, I like that particular print. I also like Durieux, I just don't like this particular print.

Durieux's work is actually [usually] counter to the problems plaguing the movie art scene, but then something like this comes out and it's just... trashy. It is not hard to imagine the dollar signs in everyone's eyes when negotiating this commission.

Budich is the opposite, his work is just blatant knock off, and most of it not very good to boot.

But it's all a bell curve... each have their standout prints, good and bad.
sephirot8 wrote: Amateurish??? Are you serious man???
Yes I am serious. This is one of Durieux's worst, even after the many errors he fixed.

I'm happy for everyone who really liked it and got it. My opinion on this piece of art is negative, I would never let this taint my walls, but that is what taste is all about, to each their own, we're here just discussing each other's views.
Gladly here in the forum we have you, to explain to us the brainless people, what is a good poster/movie or not.
Thank you your highness