Mei Faenza 07 Malleus

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
jjbehren
Flipper

Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:28 pm

who is this mei anyway?
ColdSoreSuperstar
Art Expert

Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:04 am

greenhorn1 wrote:i don't know that i completely 100% buy into the malleus hype around here but i must say this is one VERY nice looking print. The skeleton ink stradles the line perfectly between subtle and shimmery. i think the GID variant would have a hard time being cooler than the regular.

I don't know if it's quality control or overseas shipping or what but i'm 2/2 on my malleus prints missing a tiny spot of ink. not very noticable on this one but it's a bit distracting on my pelican one as it's right near the top of the wing and a bit larger spot. i figured it had probably been banged around though since it came from that hydrahead $20 sale.
A) UGH. Effing hype. I hate hype. What happening to collecting posters for art we like?

B) Hand printed, dude. Hand pulling hundreds of screens equals imperfections. Old Jay Ryan quote paraphrase: the imperfections are the charm inherent to the process.
not dead
turnJBup
Art Freak

Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:36 am

I collect Malleus because their posters are well done.
They put out more than 10 a year which keeps me interested too. :wink:
Cold Sore isn't putting Malleus images on his body for hype.... most are beautiful, genuine, imported rock posters which makes this whole thing a little more tricky and expensive.
Lots of ladies which is what i like to look at anyway so it works out good for me. Hype just means I have to pay more attention and be quick because everyone wants them now. Hype is bad for art lovers... good for flippers and artists.
Gary Houston could use a little hype.... he's a machine.
He's a great guy that puts out quality rock posters everyday ( it seems like it ) that kick ass. Why his prices haven't sky-rocketed is beyond me.
As soon as I get the Malleus pile I'm after... I'm going to work on my Houston collection.
ColdSoreSuperstar
Art Expert

Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:51 am

I like you JB. Let's make out.
And you're right. Right right right about all this. There's a difference between hype (which this MAY start to turn into, since it seems like the malleus posters are starting to get snatched up by flip-mode-squads[that's a totally ancient Busta Rhymes reference]) and a group of awesome artists getting their just do.

AND

I don't buy every last one of their prints, and neither do the other Malleus collectors...thus far.

Why is that? Probably because I don't like everything they produce, so I don't feel the need to buy it all immediately. Hmm...where is that NOT applicable? Maybe a recent series of PRINTS OF FUC KING TOILET BOWLS?!?!

so like, keep it pure.

Oh JB, you are super far from getting your fill of Malleus posters. It's a bottomless pit.
not dead
turnJBup
Art Freak

Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:10 am

Total bottomless pit... this is a merciless hobby no matter who blows your skirt up.
I'm the same as you... I don't feel the need to have them all, not even close. Just the sexy ones. A lot of the old ones aren't really my bag.

I'm up to 40. I pretty much have almost everything I'm after just a handful left. Scratch that... I always find new ones i want. Trouble is they are really tough to get when they are gone, not like Emek stuff that always pops up no matter what the run size.
It seems that the Malleus-heads are freaks that won't let anything go once it's in the collection.

A big Malleus acid party is in order.... no?
ricv64
Art Expert

Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:56 am

jjbehren wrote:who is this mei anyway?
more of a what

http://www.audiocoop.it/eng/
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
kyle
Art Expert

Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:38 pm

turnJBup wrote:Total bottomless pit... this is a merciless hobby no matter who blows your skirt up.
no fudge. it's like kryptonite.
turnJBup wrote: A big Malleus acid party is in order.... no?
IN !! :silly:
GreenMt
Art Expert

Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:25 pm

I couldn't agree more with the recent comments of Coldsore and turnj.

Malleus prints in person show incredible range and fabulous printing, and they are often utterly amazing. I do wonder, however, about some of their more violent imagery re: women.

Can any of you other Malleus fans comment on this aspect of their imagery?

Some of their work, in this regard, reminds me of German/Austrian Expressionist art (the period just after WWI, during the Weimar Republic).

I would be very interested if anyone is familiar with Malleus' thoughts/feelings as to why this appears to be a common theme in their art.
ColdSoreSuperstar
Art Expert

Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:49 pm

Like Kirchner?

let me ruminate on this.

Part of their trio is a woman, which brings me to argue on a more empowering side of the female persona. Also, I strongly believe that they have influences rooted in Mucha, but I can see about the violence that your point brings.

Personally, i'm mixed. I do think many of the posters are more of an ongoing study on the female form rather than a real objectification like i've argued before on these boards about other artists/posters. Some of the things like women soaked in blood, biting/fighting/hurting things (see HoF, Neapolis Festival, Mudhoney) remind me more of Roman/Greek Mythology, some Nordic as well.

I'll post something longer and more coherent later. I just got back to my place in Marin and now have to find another place in an effing WEEK. Eastbay here I come, I hope!
not dead
GreenMt
Art Expert

Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:22 pm

Thanks, Coldsore.

I look forward to a longer response.

I find it interesting that you see them strongly rooted in Mucha. In what ways?

Also, I thought Malleus was a group of 3 men. Am I wrong about that?
But-we-unleashed-a-lion
Art Expert

Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:32 pm

ColdSoreSuperstar wrote:Like Kirchner?

let me ruminate on this.

Part of their trio is a woman, which brings me to argue on a more empowering side of the female persona. Also, I strongly believe that they have influences rooted in Mucha, but I can see about the violence that your point brings.

Personally, i'm mixed. I do think many of the posters are more of an ongoing study on the female form rather than a real objectification like i've argued before on these boards about other artists/posters. Some of the things like women soaked in blood, biting/fighting/hurting things (see HoF, Neapolis Festival, Mudhoney) remind me more of Roman/Greek Mythology, some Nordic as well.

I'll post something longer and more coherent later. I just got back to my place in Marin and now have to find another place in an effing WEEK. Eastbay here I come, I hope!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
evillittlegoat
Art Expert

Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:54 pm

GreenMt wrote:Thanks, Coldsore.

I look forward to a longer response.

I find it interesting that you see them strongly rooted in Mucha. In what ways?

Also, I thought Malleus was a group of 3 men. Am I wrong about that?
Two gents, Urlo and Poia, and a lady, Lu.

Urlo and Poia are also two-thirds of Ufomammut. Waaaaaaay too much talent.
tranito
Art Expert

Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:45 pm

GreenMt wrote:Can any of you other Malleus fans comment on this aspect of their imagery?
Very interesting. Lookin' forward to read on this.
The hype has been criticized, let's put it aside and talk about the art in itself.

As interested and totally into Malleus images as I can be, I still can't explain or describe what their tryin' to do with their woman representation in general, but more specifically within each posters.

I like the idea that put their work as a kind of «woman behavioral study»?? if I understood???

If this is discussed anywhere from here, I'd be grateful to be redirected, but if this is new, I want you collectors to share your knowledge.

And beside that general approach of their woman images, is there something that links the woman representation to the band or the festival the poster is for or do they do it more randomly?? Cause most of the times I would not know how to make the connection between a specific Malleus image and the band it was for. Give examples if you want...
Thx for any reply..
ricv64
Art Expert

Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:08 pm

GreenMt wrote:I couldn't agree more with the recent comments of Coldsore and turnj.

Malleus prints in person show incredible range and fabulous printing, and they are often utterly amazing. I do wonder, however, about some of their more violent imagery re: women.

Can any of you other Malleus fans comment on this aspect of their imagery?

Some of their work, in this regard, reminds me of German/Austrian Expressionist art (the period just after WWI, during the Weimar Republic).

I would be very interested if anyone is familiar with Malleus' thoughts/feelings as to why this appears to be a common theme in their art.

Pretty sure a European up bringing gave them a different sence of art history growing up, more turn of century then post WWI . to me most of the time , good composition , wonder use of line, metalic inks and color .

I know they like Wes Wilson & Firehouse
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
macc5
EB Team

Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:22 am

GID pick under blacklight added.. :)