How They Fly Away So Easily 07 McPherson

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
iratasan
Flipper
Posts: 10055
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Milliways
Contact:

Mon May 05, 2008 6:30 pm

ill wrote:
iratasan wrote:did you see those 3 new art prints? wow. hot stuff. :shock:
Seriously!
i would go as far as saying that this upcoming set is some of the finest stuff she EVER did. good to see artists evolving (hint at fairy).
User avatar
tranito
Art Expert
Posts: 7993
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Canada

Mon May 05, 2008 6:30 pm

Yep, Tara's on a roll and she knows it...
samuraiwriter
Art Expert
Posts: 2743
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:00 am

Wed May 21, 2008 2:50 pm

has anyone who ordered laid eyes on her?
thoughts?
User avatar
tranito
Art Expert
Posts: 7993
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Canada

Fri May 23, 2008 3:39 pm

samuraiwriter wrote:has anyone who ordered laid eyes on her?
thoughts?
I just received it, but have yet to open it. I'm surprised I'm the first to know as I usually see people in the US receive prints at least a week before here in Canada... I should post shortly how awesome it is...
samuraiwriter
Art Expert
Posts: 2743
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:00 am

Thu May 29, 2008 10:42 am

well...?

how was she?
User avatar
tranito
Art Expert
Posts: 7993
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Canada

Thu May 29, 2008 2:48 pm

samuraiwriter wrote:well...?

how was she?
She's really nice, but I have to mention that I have a couple of issues with this print. Probably only due to the fact that I don't know anything about the giglee medium (I only had one, Josh Keyes), but still, I'm now used to screenprints and I know what to expect from this technique and a few artists or printers who use it.

So as beautiful as she is, the unrolling experience was confusing a bit... you can't use the screenprints benchmarks anymore you know, so this is not how I imagined it would be for those reasons. I thought the velvet paper would leave its texture in the inks. Not at all. First I could hardly tell that this somerset paper is actually velvet and is not velvet like I know velvet, see the Slater VRevolver on velvet. On the other hand, I've never seen any paper even half as thick as this one, including the very thick stock paper used for Idealization, Tara DRDC print. It definitly feels like a very high end print to me.

The inks that made up the image are extremely thick or maybe that is caused by the coat/varnish on top of it, I'm no expert. Another big issue I had was that the finish is glossy as hell. I thought it would be matte. My other giclee by Keyes was matte, so that was the benchmark in my head. I guess the goal of those giclees is to make sure those 100 prints look as close as the OG painting as possible and since I did not see the OG I can't compare. But my guess is that it is high quality and when you take a step back or 2 from the print, I can imagine it could hardly be differentiated from the original, but again I did not see it and I'm no expert as far as what really is the feel of acrylic and oil on birch wich was the original media... but you got to get used to look at it with a different eye than the one who's looking at your screeprint collection, that's my opinion.. it grows and grows on me since then...

I hope it can help, I guess some good pics would worth those 1000 words, but that's not a possibility right now, sorry.
User avatar
electrachrome
Site Admin
Posts: 17693
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Boston

Thu May 29, 2008 3:03 pm

Somerset Velvet is a brand type, and should not be confused with actual velvet stock. I'm guessing by the description that its 500 gram (36 mil) or heavier. for comparison, a thin glossy poster is 2-3 mil. so this would be as thick as 18-20 glossy posters.
User avatar
tranito
Art Expert
Posts: 7993
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Canada

Thu May 29, 2008 3:15 pm

Oooohh... that is good knowledge. Damn, so confusing, I mean a brand name with velvet in its name... thx for the tip.

If you know anything about how exposing giclee like that, I'd also take that info... asked in the help and sugg. thread but got no answer...

I guess the way to go is to frame like a painting, but I'm not sure since you got the border like a screenprint with the # + signature... the coating/varnish sounds like something they put on the inks of those giclee to be framed without any glass like an OG paint though...

I'm confused.. :?
User avatar
electrachrome
Site Admin
Posts: 17693
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Boston

Thu May 29, 2008 4:03 pm

tranito wrote:Oooohh... that is good knowledge. Damn, so confusing, I mean a brand name with velvet in its name... thx for the tip.

If you know anything about how exposing giclee like that, I'd also take that info... asked in the help and sugg. thread but got no answer...

I guess the way to go is to frame like a painting, but I'm not sure since you got the border like a screenprint with the # + signature... the coating/varnish sounds like something they put on the inks of those giclee to be framed without any glass like an OG paint though...

I'm confused.. :?
the surface is still susceptible to scratching...the coating helps protect from fading, but UV glass would be wise for long term display. I'd matt it just like a screen print, maybe 2" black matt?
User avatar
tranito
Art Expert
Posts: 7993
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Canada

Thu May 29, 2008 4:45 pm

electrachrome wrote:
tranito wrote:Oooohh... that is good knowledge. Damn, so confusing, I mean a brand name with velvet in its name... thx for the tip.

If you know anything about how exposing giclee like that, I'd also take that info... asked in the help and sugg. thread but got no answer...

I guess the way to go is to frame like a painting, but I'm not sure since you got the border like a screenprint with the # + signature... the coating/varnish sounds like something they put on the inks of those giclee to be framed without any glass like an OG paint though...

I'm confused.. :?
the surface is still susceptible to scratching...the coating helps protect from fading, but UV glass would be wise for long term display. I'd matt it just like a screen print, maybe 2" black matt?
Yeeaaah.. maaaayybe... I'm not sure though. To display it like a screenprint with everything around being screenprints makes someone who'll look at it have the screenprint «approach» on it, you know. And that is exactly what I wanna avoid, cause it ain't one and this is where a giclee could be upseting vs. a screenprint...

I want it to be special, cause it is indeed different in the medium than everything else on my walls... So if technically it could come out like an OG that would be great. Here's a description of a giclee named Trance by Jonathan Viner :“Trance” is printed on extra heavyweight archival paper, with waterproof archival inks. It’s signed and numbered by Jonathan Viner, and coated by hand with a matte varnish (actually, has a slightly satin sheen) that protects the print from scuffs, scratches, moisture, and UV damage. The varnish also enhances the depth and intensity of the print’s colors.

So if all of that is on a $125 giclee, I suppose that Tara has put the good stuff too on his quite pricey $350 How they fly away... I wish, you know..

Anyway expensive original painting ($10 000-$100 000) are not under glass and aren't more protected against a scratch or oil/acrylic fading than this giclee right??
User avatar
electrachrome
Site Admin
Posts: 17693
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Boston

Thu May 29, 2008 4:50 pm

tranito wrote:Anyway expensive original painting ($10 000-$100 000) are not under glass and aren't more protected against a scratch than this giclee right??
they are sometimes...
anyway, if you don't have kids throwing stuff around and you friends aren't prone to drunkin episodes, you might be ok without glass.
User avatar
tranito
Art Expert
Posts: 7993
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Canada

Thu May 29, 2008 4:56 pm

electrachrome wrote:
tranito wrote:Anyway expensive original painting ($10 000-$100 000) are not under glass and aren't more protected against a scratch than this giclee right??
they are sometimes...
anyway, if you don't have kids throwing stuff around and you friends aren't prone to drunkin episodes, you might be ok without glass.
At a certain age, the kids come into play, but before, you're spot on with the drunken friends who usually love to behave exactly like a 5-6 year old demon would do... :lol:

Accidents could be the main issue... if the coating/varnish is indeed something durable and of high end quality...
User avatar
tranito
Art Expert
Posts: 7993
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Canada

Thu May 29, 2008 4:59 pm

Thx for the tips btw. :wink:
User avatar
tranito
Art Expert
Posts: 7993
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Canada

Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:21 pm

just added this to the image gallery...
nice alternative if you've been shut out on a certain Thunder print and are looking for a gorgeous giclee below the $1500-$2000 price range...
iratasan
Flipper
Posts: 10055
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Milliways
Contact:

Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:29 pm

sweet sweet stuff. the screen printed glossy layer sits on top of it like sweet sweet sugar. love it. still doesn't beat the weight of water set though. ;)
Post Reply