Hitler 14 Mitchell

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
whl10
Art Expert

Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:55 pm

o4phish20o wrote:
alittle wrote:
o4phish20o wrote:
readicculus86 wrote:

Oh I think I get it now. Let's portray one of the biggest d-bags in history as a superhero for killing 6 million people. I can see the people buying and hanging these on their walls explaining that to friends / family. "It's a satire piece, get it?" :roll:
But you are ok to hang this on your wall and explain it to family and friends?
http://expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/51761#
One is a social commentary on the commercialization of Christmas, the other is depicting a monster responsible for the biggest genocide in history as a super hero. If you think that is the same, you are not very intelligent.
and from that response... you sound like a Catholic hater...

Pontius Pilate is just as bad if not worse than Hitler... should have a Super Dick made of him as well.
the commentary is on consumerism more than Catholicism...the bastardization of j-dog's birthday
choke
Art Expert

Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:57 pm

So I take it this is a shoo-in for AOTW?
jools
Art Expert

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:00 pm

another Austrian artist has my vote
it's a cat, as a ball of string...come on, it's a cat, but it's a ball of string - everyone loves cats right
"Just because you have Illustrator doesn't mean you are one." - VonDada
http://www.gigposters.com/forums/poster ... oster.html
edgar
Art Expert

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:02 pm

Scenario 4: Internet db defends depiction of hitler posing as mighty figure by comparing it to satire.

What a nob.
Grateful69Phish wrote:anybody this stupid doesn't become naturally intelligent!
lujborg
Art Expert

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:07 pm

choke wrote:So I take it this is a shoo-in for AOTW?

voted!
I'm here for the oil palm breeding (international society member, since 2003)
electrachrome
Site Admin

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:08 pm

readicculus86 wrote:I don't even think I could hang this (even if I owned it) because it has swastikas. And I love Stout:

I'm glad someone brought this up. I also wouldn't hang the IB poster because of all the swastikas. Any other aspect like the quality of the film is outdone by my feelings about displaying that iconography.
On the other hand, I find this piece (Super Hitler ...or whatever it's called) to be less offensive, because it is satire. It's part of a set, it's not a glorification. The point of the "Super" series is the ridiculousness of it. Anything can be made "Super" by mimicking this pose. As part of a set of these images, Hitler just becomes a "Where's Waldo" among a group.
"Look, there's AquaMan ..and Gilligan ...and the StayPuft Marshmellow Man ...and Hitler." it's all about the absurdity of the identity the pose conveys and nothing more.
finneganm
Art Freak

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:10 pm

Agreed fully.
That's what she said
lujborg
Art Expert

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:14 pm

electrachrome wrote:
readicculus86 wrote:I don't even think I could hang this (even if I owned it) because it has swastikas. And I love Stout:

I'm glad someone brought this up. I also wouldn't hang the IB poster because of all the swastikas. Any other aspect like the quality of the film is outdone by my feelings about displaying that iconography.
On the other hand, I find this piece (Super Hitler ...or whatever it's called) to be less offensive, because it is satire. It's part of a set, it's not a glorification. The point of the "Super" series is the ridiculousness of it. Anything can be made "Super" by mimicking this pose. As part of a set of these images, Hitler just becomes a "Where's Waldo" among a group.
"Look, there's AquaMan ..and Gilligan ...and the StayPuft Marshmellow Man ...and Hitler." it's all about the absurdity of the identity the pose conveys and nothing more.
the swastika goes way back before hitler in terms of symbology.
In Buddhism, the swastika is a symbol of good fortune, prosperity, abundance and eternity. It is directly related to Buddha and can be found carved on statues on the soles of his feet and on his heart. It is said that it contains Buddha’s mind.
if you were a buddhist, maybe you could look beyond the fact that someone else appropriated it along the way and used it to symbolize their own agenda. if i started killing children in the name of the lord with a cross on my chest, would you then denounce your religion? oh, fudge, that actually happened already (the killing part with a cross on the chest of the murderers)
Sevensykes
Art Connoisseur

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:18 pm

electrachrome wrote:

This is by far the best and most intelligent summation of the Hitler piece.
ricv64
Art Expert

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:19 pm

In Spain when I was there ,93 , you could buy figurines , toys , of Fascist , Falangist , Opus Dei muther fuckas in that exact pose . They're weren't being satirical either . I also saw some Salvador Dali's of Hitler too Some of those satirical others not so sure . This guy is too formulaic cookie cutter for me to handle
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
electrachrome
Site Admin

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:33 pm

lujborg wrote:the swastika goes way back before hitler in terms of symbology.
In Buddhism, the swastika is a symbol of good fortune, prosperity, abundance and eternity. It is directly related to Buddha and can be found carved on statues on the soles of his feet and on his heart. It is said that it contains Buddha’s mind.
if you were a buddhist, maybe you could look beyond the fact that someone else appropriated it along the way and used it to symbolize their own agenda. if i started killing children in the name of the lord with a cross on my chest, would you then denounce your religion? oh, fudge, that actually happened already (the killing part with a cross on the chest of the murderers)
I realize the swastika image goes back thousands of years ...and represents goodness to those cultures who used it. Within our contemporary timeframe, it has been corrupted. It'll take more than just a few generations to undo the taint that is associated with it.
A great many people in this world have a good reason to feel the same way about the cross. You'll get no argument from me on that.
lujborg
Art Expert

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:40 pm

electrachrome wrote:
lujborg wrote:the swastika goes way back before hitler in terms of symbology.
I realize the swastika image goes back thousands of years ...and represents goodness to those cultures who used it. Within our contemporary timeframe, it has been corrupted. It'll take more than just a few generations to undo the taint that is associated with it.
A great many people in this world have a good reason to feel the same way about the cross. You'll get no argument from me on that.
my point is it's only corrupted because of culture. we may be operating within its context, but it's your choice as to whether or not you buy in.
edgar
Art Expert

Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:10 pm

Corrupted because of culture. Ok...
lujborg
Art Expert

Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:13 pm

edgar wrote:Corrupted because of culture. Ok...

same symbol has a different meaning depending on your culture. it's a pretty simple concept.
edgar
Art Expert

Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:25 pm

Jesus :lol: