Star Wars 14 Eng

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
listerfeend
Art Expert

Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:44 pm

Bikejoh wrote:I would take this set over Stout's or Olly's any day, and I don't even know what the rest of the set looks like.
:neutral:
cgriff
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:54 pm

God this is a great print! Eng had a definitive style but kills each of his pieces. Really dig his style. And yes great job you commissioning bastards.
matowest
Art Expert

Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:08 pm

Bikejoh wrote:
shibbyaholic wrote:who wants to have him do a Empire Strikes Back? I'm in!
The 15 guys that commissioned this one have him doing the whole trilogy.
Prequel trilogy commission is still wide open though :lol:
Count
Art Expert

Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:35 pm

matowest wrote:
Bikejoh wrote:
The 15 guys that commissioned this one have him doing the whole trilogy.
Prequel trilogy commission is still wide open though :lol:
Might as well pre-book him for Episodes VII to IX while you are at it. :D
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:45 pm

Sorry but this is a miss for me. Congrats to the commissioners, beautiful thing about a commission is that you have the ability to help shape the final piece, and I am sure all the people in on the commission are happy, but its just not for me. Love to see Eng cranking out work, I worry he has a little too much on his plate.
ldiddy
Art Expert

Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:56 pm

Dang Debby Downer!
RufusNoir
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:02 am

That is drymounting BEAUTIFUL!!!! :drool: :drool: :notworthy: :drool: :drool:
finneganm wrote:I'm sure those of us with state of the art cognition will be able to wade through the bullshit just fine.
DeadHand
Art Expert

Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:09 am

Seeing Boba Fett in his Quasi-Moebius style would be pretty neat. Granted this would be if he went with his quasi-Moebius style instead of a more true-to-life/film depiction.
Bikejoh
Art Expert

Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:09 am

listerfeend wrote:
Bikejoh wrote:I would take this set over Stout's or Olly's any day, and I don't even know what the rest of the set looks like.
I have complete faith in Eng. You don't?
LeeKaye
Art Expert

Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:14 am

ffs
maden
Art Expert

Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:48 am

Based on this image alone this set won't even be close to those.
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

listerfeend
Art Expert

Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:23 am

Bikejoh wrote:
listerfeend wrote:
I have complete faith in Eng. You don't?
Just seemed a silly thing to say about a trilogy, for which only one print has been made, which neither of us have seen in person.

I like the print, but was pretty relieved when it was revealed and I saw it that it wasn't something I had to own. I'm sure it's exactly what the commissioners wanted, and kudos to them for getting it done.

And as far as the Stout/Moss comparison, I can pretty confidently say I wouldn't trade a single from my Stout set for the whole Eng trilogy, whatever that looks like in 18 months. That's just me 8)
uberholden
Art Enthusiast

Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:11 am

Yeah, I also like it, but it's not one of his best. I haven't seen him add it to his tumblr page, which could also be an indication he's not as happy as some of the others he's done lately which are absolutely amazing. Commissioning 15/30 Star Wars prints or a series of prints is pushing the limited factor a bit far. Olly's (and Stout's) Star Wars prints are on hundreds of people's walls, no one had to try to make those exclusive.
jkw3000
EB Team

Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:17 am

uberholden wrote:Yeah, I also like it, but it's not one of his best. I haven't seen him add it to his tumblr page, which could also be an indication he's not as happy as some of the others he's done lately which are absolutely amazing.
Either that or he doesn't want to advertise it. Not like Disney makes a big deal out of these things.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
posterguy5

Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:33 pm

I think commissioning a Star Wars trilogy print set is somewhat "unfair" because so many will want it and you know some major art house will ask for it eventually. How about we all ask major artists to do their take on Star Wars before Mondo/Bottleneck Gallery?HCG does. If 20 of us pool our money and ask Ken Taylor to do a classic trilogy set then no matter how much money we spend we can re-sell them for an outrageous price on the secondary market. And in doing so we can screw over the thousands of people that would love to own it, and the other art houses that would make it widely available. It's a brilliant scam actually, it could be the next trend in high priced flipping. Take the power right out of Mondos hands haha. but for actual collecting its terrible.

However each artist can do whatever they want to do. I personally think this is a pretty bland/bad poster myself, it looks like it was done fast and without much attention to detail, I feel like I can almost make out the Statue that the Darth Vader image was taken from, it might be an action figure actually. For being Tatooine there are too many minarets, it looks much more like Naboo. Also I feel like if he had made his own lettering like he did on his Starship Troopers print it would have added something. The top though with the Death Star and fighter jets is pretty spot on. Perhaps he is saving some real detailed work for a second edition if a official outlet asks for one.