AOR 2.365 Wilderness Conference 67 Mouse Kelley

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:46 am

cushway
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:34 pm

There are actually 3 printings of this---one yellow, one silvery background and another labeled "San Francisco Poster Co." on the lower right hand corner. The "SAn Fran..." labeled posters. [and, in fact, any labeled like this] are bootlegs from England and have no intrinsic value.

Phil
mykebybee
New User

Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:18 pm

I've seen several different explanations about which of the three versions is the true 1st ed.

Can someone please explain it to me once more, I'm a bit slow.

Here's how I understand it:

All Silver = 1st Ed.
Silver with Green = second edition or re-print
Yellow = re-print from San Fran poster Co.

Is this correct? Can someone give me an idea which version is being counted on the sales chart listed here?

thanks
wandering-gypsy
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:33 pm

mykebybee wrote:I've seen several different explanations about which of the three versions is the true 1st ed.

All Silver = 1st Ed.

Is this correct? Can someone give me an idea which version is being counted on the sales chart listed here?

thanks
Welcome to the circus!

When looking at the "Detail" page for the poster, you'll find a pull down list (box) in the top right corner. It lists the different printings. If you move to the individual pages, you'll see notes related to the release. You can also see different sales results for the different printings.

There seems to be controversy surrounding which was the true 1st printing. I've also heard different opinions from the artist (Mouse) and from dealers, as related in the notes.

But, what's clear is that the poster with the San Francisco Poster Company text is a bootleg. Btw, the SFPCo bootlegged a *lot* of posters many years ago.
norbyjake
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:26 pm

mykebybee wrote:I've seen several different explanations about which of the three versions is the true 1st ed.

All Silver = 1st Ed.

thanks
The poster with the yellow background, and printed by "The Bindweed Press, San Francisco", is the first printing. The poster with the silver background does not have the "Bindweed" credit, and many people believe it to be a reprint. HOWEVER, Stanley Mouse insists that it was printed pre-show. It's possible it is a second printing before the show, and is also possible that they ran out of yellow ink and subbed silver (assuming it is what Mouse says it to be). The poster with the "SF Poster Co." credit is a later reprint/bootleg.
DavidaLoca
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:34 pm

Ha it's the album art for Lysol by The Melvins.
carcrash wrote:Guns + Pop Culture Icons = Street Art. Duh.
boatingbenny wrote:
dmbfan41 wrote:If you spend a thousand + on a Obama poster something is wrong
If you spend $1 on a DMB show...something is really wrong!
automator
Nobody

Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:09 am

New image AOR 2.365

anners84
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:06 pm

I did some research into this one awhile back, and here's what I came up with.

The yellow Bindweed was printed first. Stanley wasn't happy with the yellow, so he had it printed again (before the show) in the silver/green. Berkeley Bonapart may have had something to do with this version, even though they weren't printers. Stanley may have turned to them for help. Stanley claims the silver/green is the first, but that may be because of his dissatisfaction with the yellow version. I have it on good authority that the leftover posters from the show that Sierra Club had were all the silver/green. So they're both firsts, "1A and 1B".

The monochrome is probably a first, too. I don't recall seeing a Bindweed credit on it, so it's likely from the silver/green printing. An experiment, maybe.

The S.F. Poster Co. version (in yellow) is obviously a boot.
imsooogellin
Art Enthusiast

Sat May 15, 2010 7:17 pm

How would I add a colored version of this poster which I just entered under this listing to "my collection " list? Imsooogellin
weallen
Art Connoisseur

Sat May 15, 2010 10:42 pm

imsooogellin wrote:How would I add a colored version of this poster which I just entered under this listing to "my collection " list? Imsooogellin
The mods would have to make it a separate edition (during the image approval process) and then link your photo to this new edition. Then you would just select this new edition from the pick list of editions in the upper right corner and then click on Add To Collection. Until then, your submitted image is just an additional image associated with the existing editions but not currently linked to any of them.
http://www.billallenphotos.com Live Concert Photography and More...
automator
Nobody

Sat May 15, 2010 10:54 pm

New image hand colored
Hand colored

automator
Nobody

Tue May 18, 2010 4:58 pm

New image AOR 2.365 Wilderness Conference 67 Mouse Kelley
Hand colored by Artist

TheEYEofKIEV
New User

Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:24 pm

Hello, Forum!

I have this poster in green on silver, signed "Poster Design: Mouse Studios" in the lower righthand corner -- the exact same edition as this poster in the collection of The Oakland Museum of California: http://collections.museumca.org/?q=coll ... /201054684

I have checked the "AOR 2.365 Wilderness Conference 67 Mouse Kelley - Silver Background" details page, and there is no mention of the signature: "Poster Design: Mouse Studios". However, I do believe that my poster is a 1st silver edition from 1967.

Was it only the yellow and green that had the signature: "The Bindweed Press, San Francisco"? (And for this discussion I think we can just ignore the lesser, later "The S.F. Poster Co." version.)

Any help you might be able to offer will be much appreciated!

Best,

Kiev

PS -- And yes, I am planning on selling! :D

K.
anners84
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:31 pm

All originals were almost certainly printed at Bindweed Press.

Why the silver version has no Bindweed credit is a mystery. They
always put their credit at the bottom.
mfs67
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:28 am

The silver version appears in a 1967 Berkeley Bonaparte catalog along with reprints of AOR 2.215, 2.71 and 2.81. It also includes AOR 2.319, which I thought was only printed once, for the festival in June.