Untitled 14 Mr. Brainwash

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
Wawaad
Art Expert

Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:58 pm

tranito wrote:Nah. MBW is more about the celebration of art, art to make people happy, to put smiles on people's face, life is beautiful etc.
The paintbrush represents creativity and art making and this piece is just another way to celebrate the good it can do in people's life.
Agreed, I don't get the current critique of MBW work. It always was and always will be about nothing but being cool and aesthetically pleasing to look at. and this one does fall into that criteria I believe
Have No Fear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The Nation is Here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tranito
Art Expert

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:12 pm

Not sure if it's a result of the Banksy approach to it, but I see a tendancy in street art to try to be especially clever in its message. Like if you have managed to execute your concept, the smarter it was, the better your creation ends up being. I don't really agree with such a way of seeing art. It's like street art has tried to outsmart its audience. It just made the audience dumber and now we can't even look at a MBW piece and see it for what it is, which just shows how unintelligent the art crowd really is. We can understand dollars sign and supply and demand just fine though. Pretty drymounted up.
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
pvecchi
Art Expert

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:15 pm

Wawaad wrote:
tranito wrote:Nah. MBW is more about the celebration of art, art to make people happy, to put smiles on people's face, life is beautiful etc.
The paintbrush represents creativity and art making and this piece is just another way to celebrate the good it can do in people's life.
Agreed, I don't get the current critique of MBW work. It always was and always will be about nothing but being cool and aesthetically pleasing to look at. and this one does fall into that criteria I believe
Art is subjective. I understand. But really? So it's lowbrow then. Pretty pictures for the sake of pretty pictures?

But I thought he already did a paintbrush tribute? I kinda liked those. But here the Iwo Jima soldiers are just there to be pretty. Got it.

I do like some of his stuff, but the majority is just to copy someone else (Marilyn, paint cans, DFace, et al ad nauseum) and not that well executed by him or most likely his assistants. I guess that's what I don't get about it.

But maybe I'll pick it up for the flip.

Tada! I've now been brainwashed!
pvecchi
Art Expert

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:19 pm

tranito wrote:Not sure if it's a result of the Banksy approach to it, but I see a tendancy in street art to try to be especially clever in its message. Like if you have managed to execute your concept, the smarter it was, the better your creation ends up being. I don't really agree with such a way of seeing art. It's like street art has tried to outsmart its audience. It just made the audience dumber and now we can't even look at a MBW piece and see it for what it is, which just shows how unintelligent the art crowd really is. We can understand dollars sign and supply and demand just fine though. Pretty drymounted up.
This is probably one if the dumbest statements I've read on EB and that's saying a lot.
tranito
Art Expert

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:26 pm

Not really.
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
soam24
Art Freak

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:49 pm

I like this image, but here is my deal w/ mbw.

While I like alot of his work (yes believe it or not), the SIZE of the prints are too much. I could only imagine how much it would cost to frame this.

The price point is high yes, but its not too far off, then when you tack on framing costs.. forget it.
nevadinova
Art Expert

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:55 pm

Coupedeville wrote:If I had a surplus of money...I would like to purchase this and tear off small portions of the print...piece by piece and use each little piece to clean the fresh fudge off my ass. :hanging:
Then put it back together!! Sell as art. $$$
EK
Art Enthusiast

Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:33 pm

All the flippers got brainwashed.
pvecchi
Art Expert

Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:48 pm

soam24 wrote:I like this image, but here is my deal w/ mbw.

While I like alot of his work (yes believe it or not), the SIZE of the prints are too much. I could only imagine how much it would cost to frame this.

The price point is high yes, but its not too far off, then when you tack on framing costs.. forget it.
I can't imagine the cost of framing. It would have to be plexi or maybe really thick glass with the frame screwed into the wall?
pvecchi
Art Expert

Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:50 pm

tranito wrote:Not really.
Yeah your right. There's a lot of other dumb stuff on EB
bpfesq

Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:55 pm

I sortof like the print. Had it in my cart but couldn't pull the trigger. Too expensive of a gamble to flip and i don't have enough wall space for a print that large which doesn't blow me away. But the newspaper background has been done a ton of times before. The black and white with splashes of color in the graffiti style has been done a ton (Martin Whatson and others). The Iwa Jima scene has been done a ton. It is like he layered several unoriginal aspects into an original painting of unoriginality.
tranito
Art Expert

Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:39 pm

pvecchi wrote:
Favorite dumb stuff of the day has to be seeing you put a grand on this after hating on it. :rolling:
pvecchi
Art Expert

Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:44 pm

tranito wrote:
pvecchi wrote:
Favorite dumb stuff of the day has to be seeing you put a grand on this after hating on it. :rolling:
Lol you got 5 bit coins and a paint brush?
Not very bright are ya?
tranito
Art Expert

Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:45 pm

Huh?
pvecchi
Art Expert

Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:46 pm

tranito wrote:Huh?
Exactly......donkey (sorry mods)
Last edited by pvecchi on Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.