Untitled 14 Mr. Brainwash

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
bkboy77
Art Expert

Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:26 am

fung430 wrote:Expressobeans knows everything.
soam24
Art Freak

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:15 am

i like mbw :oops:
andyctree
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:24 am

Cheese318 wrote:I actually like this personally. I wouldn't pay $950 but it is 10x better than the crap he regularly releases. I find it funny how everyone hates on the dude. It's like so trendy to hate MBW. Guarantee if this print had Banksy's name on it everyone would be lining up to buy it and speaking a different tune.
Most people would say why did Banksy makes this crap.

I don't see why every one likes to use the "well if Banksy had made it everyone would love it" routine.

Banksy wouldn't produce this crap, and if he did people would bitch about it being garbage. The reason Banksy gets credit is because he doesn't have his lackies photoshop Rockwell, splash some colorful paint on it, and say pay me.
Coupedeville
Art Enthusiast

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:31 am

If I had a surplus of money...I would like to purchase this and tear off small portions of the print...piece by piece and use each little piece to clean the fresh fudge off my ass. :hanging:
tranito
Art Expert

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:32 am

So genius. Not really.
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:59 am

andyctree wrote:
Cheese318 wrote:I actually like this personally. I wouldn't pay $950 but it is 10x better than the crap he regularly releases. I find it funny how everyone hates on the dude. It's like so trendy to hate MBW. Guarantee if this print had Banksy's name on it everyone would be lining up to buy it and speaking a different tune.
Most people would say why did Banksy makes this crap.

I don't see why every one likes to use the "well if Banksy had made it everyone would love it" routine.

Banksy wouldn't produce this crap, and if he did people would bitch about it being garbage. The reason Banksy gets credit is because he doesn't have his lackies photoshop Rockwell, splash some colorful paint on it, and say pay me.
And I would argue you are letting your dislike of the artist influence your opinion of the piece. This is the reason that people say "If it were a Banksy, everyone would love it." I agree that lots of MBW stuff sucks, but this is actually pretty good.
partpat
Art Expert

Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:01 am

soam24 wrote:i like mbw :oops:

:lol:
pvecchi
Art Expert

Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:15 am

tranito wrote:So genius. Not really.

Id disagree. I think this Bansky is pure genius. To me is has a message of the new generation of street artist / activist giving homage to one of the great originals of the medium / movement; a great human being and individual that paved the way for many of those who followed him. I debated long and hard about trading my NOLA for this Banksy

This new MBW us just a flag replaced with a paintbrush.
Last edited by pvecchi on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Super_Dank_Nugz
Art Expert

Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:19 am

Coupedeville wrote:If I had a surplus of money...I would like to purchase this and tear off small portions of the print...piece by piece and use each little piece to clean the fresh fudge off my ass. :hanging:
This is the most original and creative comment I have ever witnessed on EB. :roll:
tranito
Art Expert

Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:39 am

pvecchi wrote:

Id disagree. I think this Bansky is pure genius. To me is has a message of the new generation of street artist / activist giving homage to one of the great originals of the medium / movement. I debated long and hard about trading my NOLA for this Banksy

Although I agree with the message you're attributing to the CYW image, I fail to see how it's a manifestation of pure genius. It's not extremely original or groundbreaking or mindbending in any aspect for me to call it pure genius. It's clever at best in it's concept and well done enough in its execution for me to find it pretty good.
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
pvecchi
Art Expert

Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:58 am

I guess I'm just a huge Keith Haring fan and am comparing it to the other 99.99% stuff on EB (gig posters, lowbrow, appropriated pictures) and the message combined with the evolution / building upon prior art movement speaks to me.
cycloned
Art Enthusiast

Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:19 pm

I like this. But I bought a signed Dali AP print at auction for less $$$ last week. Arguably apples and oranges, but it's put into perspective what I'd be willing to spend on MBW etc.
appletree
Art Expert

Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:24 pm

pvecchi wrote:

Id disagree. I think this Bansky is pure genius. To me is has a message of the new generation of street artist / activist giving homage to one of the great originals of the medium / movement; a great human being and individual that paved the way for many of those who followed him. I debated long and hard about trading my NOLA for this Banksy

I love Banksy, don't get me wrong. But could the same not be said for the example posted? Isn't that just a dog replaced by a stick/block figure dog?

Flip the names around and take the preconceived opinion away. You end up with this print with Banksy's name on it and CYW having Brainwash's name and thumbprint. People would be saying how trash it is. This (as with much in art) has soooooo much to do with the signature on it and what that artist carries with their name, more than what is in the center of the paper.
<3 + Image = T.H.C.

:::Johnathon Powers Photography:::
Sail wrote:it was all just a misunderstandingtree.
pvecchi
Art Expert

Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:47 pm

appletree wrote:
pvecchi wrote:

I love Banksy, don't get me wrong. But could the same not be said for the example posted? Isn't that just a dog replaced by a stick/block figure dog?

Flip the names around and take the preconceived opinion away. You end up with this print with Banksy's name on it and CYW having Brainwash's name and thumbprint. People would be saying how trash it is. This (as with much in art) has soooooo much to do with the signature on it and what that artist carries with their name, more than what is in the center of the paper.
Sorry, I think the two are apples and oranges. The Banksy is a completely original idea. The MBW is just a flag replaced with a paintbrush. I can understand the message behind Dfaces similar one or even the McDnlds sign above, but this MBW just looks like he's copying someone else and just putting a paintbrush there instead

But I guess that is the message. People will buy any fudge he prints (if they think they can make a buck off it) Profound
tranito
Art Expert

Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:52 pm

Nah. MBW is more about the celebration of art, art to make people happy, to put smiles on people's face, life is beautiful etc.
The paintbrush represents creativity and art making and this piece is just another way to celebrate the good it can do in people's life. It's so obvious, people seem to be missing it.