Fast Times at Ridgemont High 13 Dye

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
theperfecttree
EB Team

Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:10 pm

Lifeisghood wrote:Im gonna catch a ton of fudge im sure but im a huge kozik fan and i love his Dazed & Confused poster but i gotta admit i really am digging Dye's Fast Times poster, those movies are in the same vein to me to i think its kinda cool that he threw a tribute out to kozik with this.
poster does look cool, but that's because he reused Koziks design which everyone loves :).

I think if another had artist done this, one without a history of selling posters he didn't design, and thrown up a shout out / thank you to Frank on the sale page and said it's a tribute to the original then this might have gotten a different reaction
pittidesart
Art Expert

Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:19 pm

Screenprinting itself is a art FORM yes, and if Dye is trying to convey it has look what can be done in screenprinting then fine but he is not. There is no hidden message, no meaning behind any of it. He is taking other artist work(99% of the time, not changing a damn thing), reproducing it and selling it. No different than anyone going to kinkos, scanning that hulk cover and selling the copies. I am sorry but it is a slap in the face of other artists who are in these shows with him who take weeks, months are sometimes years to produce a original piece of quality art. For this guy to even be shown in galleries makes me sad.

This is not a tribute, this is Dye being Dye
Official website: http://www.pittidesart.com
stefansf
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:28 pm

You think Roy Lichtenstein would mind if Frank Kozik borrowed from him? Doubt it.

Love this one. Glad Frank made it - one of my favs.

http://411posters.com/wp-content/upload ... ountry.png

theperfecttree wrote:
Lifeisghood wrote:Im gonna catch a ton of fudge im sure but im a huge kozik fan and i love his Dazed & Confused poster but i gotta admit i really am digging Dye's Fast Times poster, those movies are in the same vein to me to i think its kinda cool that he threw a tribute out to kozik with this.
poster does look cool, but that's because he reused Koziks design which everyone loves :).

I think if another had artist done this, one without a history of selling posters he didn't design, and thrown up a shout out / thank you to Frank on the sale page and said it's a tribute to the original then this might have gotten a different reaction
kaz315

Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:30 pm

there seems to be a very fine line between "copying" and "getting inspiration from/channeling"
Kramerica
Art Freak

Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:32 pm

He does it with almost all of his work, just screen prints an existing image. None of the other artists you mentioned do that and I have never seen a Sperry that was a direct copy of someone else's poster.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
stefansf
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:34 pm

How long do you think it would take you to produce that Fast Times poster? You talk like it's cut-and-paste. That is an original piece of art that has elements that resemble the Kozik 93 Dazed print. It's a good conversation. I'm glad some people are upset, go ahead and let it all out.

pittidesart wrote:Screenprinting itself is a art FORM yes, and if Dye is trying to convey it has look what can be done in screenprinting then fine but he is not. There is no hidden message, no meaning behind any of it. He is taking other artist work(99% of the time, not changing a damn thing), reproducing it and selling it. No different than anyone going to kinkos, scanning that hulk cover and selling the copies. I am sorry but it is a slap in the face of other artists who are in these shows with him who take weeks, months are sometimes years to produce a original piece of quality art. For this guy to even be shown in galleries makes me sad.

This is not a tribute, this is Dye being Dye
stefansf
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:36 pm

Really? (close enough) Love them both

Kramerica wrote:He does it with almost all of his work, just screen prints an existing image. None of the other artists you mentioned do that and I have never seen a Sperry that was a direct copy of someone else's poster.
Last edited by stefansf on Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kaz315

Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:36 pm

this thread is HEATING UP!
pittidesart
Art Expert

Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:37 pm

Kramerica wrote:He does it with almost all of his work, just screen prints an existing image. None of the other artists you mentioned do that and I have never seen a Sperry that was a direct copy of someone else's poster.
Thank you. :clap:
stefansf wrote:How long do you think it would take you to produce that Fast Times poster? You talk like it's cut-and-paste. That is an original piece of art that has elements that resemble the Kozik 93 Dazed print. It's a good conversation. I'm glad some people are upset, go ahead and let it all out.
You think he drew that car? or hand layered the seps? Yes I do think it's cut and paste. The only redeeming value to his work is his screenprinting ability. That's it.
pittidesart
Art Expert

Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:40 pm

stefansf wrote:Really? (close enough) Love them both

Notice under the sig... he acknowledges the original design. Thats what artists are supposed to do when they parody or pay homage to another artist.
Superfro33
Art Expert

Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:40 pm

stefansf wrote:Nobody is ripping anyone off.
ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

I'm to lazy to post everything else the guy has ever done. :lol:
jools
Art Expert

Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:50 pm

stefansf wrote:Well, duh. Of course it's a tribute to Frank Kozik. People need some perspective.
and presumably your av is a tribute to a Duran Duran LP, but thanks for the art history lesson...the examples from superfro are even more blatant rip-offs, which is why Dye's work receives such a hostile reaction from most folks - each to their own i guess, but if it's a Rogan/Mencia type situation, Joe gets my vote every time..and the same goes for the art i buy
Last edited by jools on Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Just because you have Illustrator doesn't mean you are one." - VonDada
http://www.gigposters.com/forums/poster ... oster.html
Kramerica
Art Freak

Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:55 pm

Wasn't familiar with that Sperry but yes, he does say on the print itself that it is not his design, that is called homage. When you take someone else's art and design and sell it without giving credit, it is called ripping them off.

Like I said, I do own a BG print and I am happy I do but it is a rip off of another poster.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
Cheese318
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:37 pm

jlabbate wrote:Ummm..didn't Frank Kozik do this already? :roll:
I was pretty sure this was a rip off for a dazed poster. Why wouldn't he create a new idea
automator
Nobody

Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:46 pm

New image Fast Times at Ridgemont High 13 Dye - Fluorescent Detail