Invasion Kit #15 - Glow in the Space 13 Space Invader

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:37 pm

kansasbbq
Art God

Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:41 pm

It's the largest one of the series and also the most luminous.

I like it....but not at that price. :(
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
partpat
Art Freak

Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:41 pm

$1050.00 made this an easy pass this am, none the less very cool.
jlabbate
Art Freak

Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:42 pm

I agree with the above...for $1K..I'd rather buy an older, lower run invasion kit
finneganm
Art Freak

Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:45 pm

I'm just not a big fan of GID. It seems too gimmicky to me.
That's what she said
automator
Nobody

Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:46 pm

New image Invasion Kit #15 - Glow in the Space 13 Space Invader - Glow in the Dark

BonesUno
Art Connoisseur

Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:52 pm

Carted it for fun, no effin way I´m buying at that price.
Sitting back and watching flippers panic. Will buy for less than cost in a month.
PM me when desperation strikes in! :twisted:
Last edited by BonesUno on Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
partpat
Art Freak

Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:53 pm

finneganm wrote:I'm just not a big fan of GID. It seems too gimmicky to me.
I have seen you mention this before and I generally tend to agree especially on prints, this seemed this right type of gimmicky to me.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:55 pm

I THINK these are luminescent, meaning they don't need to "charge" but just glow on their own. At least that's what I assume based on that pic Invader posted a month ago in his blog... The thing I don't like about GID posters is you need to charge them up and then the GID doesn't usually last very long...unless you blast them with one of those purple/blue lasers! :shock:
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
jamel-d
Art Freak

Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:55 pm

jlabbate wrote:I agree with the above...for $1K..I'd rather buy an older, lower run invasion kit
S/N kits are all going to go up now. There are so few signed/numbered kits on the market that getting this was probably easier and cheaper, at least for me to purchase. Hopefully, you'll get one from a generous seller. This is my first kit, so I'm pretty stoked.
Isn't this whole concept kinda gimmicky? I mean, this image has been around since 1978. It took someone 22 years to capitalize on it. And with these kits, all he did was put mosaic tiles together in the image of space invader. I'd say that's some gimmick.
finneganm
Art Freak

Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:03 pm

To clarify on that a little more, a GID Space Invader actually makes a lot more sense than most uses I see in the print world (OMG GID TEEEEEEETH ON THAT HORROR FILM PRINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). I have to imagine that the piece, when glowing, should be an almost perfect translation from the original video game. That being said, I still think it's rather tacky, and I would much prefer a very nice image I can enjoy in the daytime over a subpar one that I can enjoy at night as well.
That's what she said
finneganm
Art Freak

Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:05 pm

jamel-d wrote:
Isn't this whole concept kinda gimmicky? I mean, this image has been around since 1978. It took someone 22 years to capitalize on it. And with these kits, all he did was put mosaic tiles together in the image of space invader. I'd say that's some gimmick.
I was going to put something to that effect in there ("... which for a 1k bag of tiles is really saying something."), and it probably holds true. That being said, I'm very much drawn to much of his work. The Invaders don't really do all that much for me if I'm being honest, but I do love the majority of his other works. Sell me an Abbey Road dammit...
That's what she said
jamel-d
Art Freak

Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:07 pm

finneganm wrote:To clarify on that a little more, a GID Space Invader actually makes a lot more sense than most uses I see in the print world (OMG GID TEEEEEEETH ON THAT HORROR FILM PRINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). I have to imagine that the piece, when glowing, should be an almost perfect translation from the original video game. That being said, I still think it's rather tacky, and I would much prefer a very nice image I can enjoy in the daytime over a subpar one that I can enjoy at night as well.
Good point. It just seems that GID seems to be "in" right now. Just like red soled shoes.
finneganm wrote:
jamel-d wrote:
I was going to put something to that effect in there ("... which for a 1k bag of tiles is really saying something."), and it probably holds true. That being said, I'm very much drawn to much of his work. The Invaders don't really do all that much for me if I'm being honest, but I do love the majority of his other works. Sell me an Abbey Road dammit...
Abbey Road is quite nice.
IronBott
Art Connoisseur

Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:30 pm

First time I see that kind of thing. What is it exaclty ? A sculpture ?
aldo
Art Expert

Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:53 pm

It's a kit with adhesive tiles that you can use to make your own invasion, either outside or in your house or wherever.