Phish Commerce City 13 Ripley

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
timothyripley
Art Connoisseur

Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:08 am

fredo wrote:Meh. A step down from last year's, imo, which had a more organic feel.

ps I know this is fan art and the artist checks in...it's just too computery and 1-D for my tastes. The keyline is distracting, too.
I kinda felt like this years print was more organic than last years. Last years poster had more geometric forms. It was also a bit more symmetrical than this years.

I also thought the print did a nice job of feeling hand painted/drawn. Most peeps had a hard time figuring out how it was made. It is possible that the pics I posted were misleading because they don't represent the texture and finish of the ink.

I do agree that the key line layer has a stark value contrast in relation to the other colors - but I like that, or I wouldn't have done it I guess. :)

Concerning the spatial depth of the design; The 2012 dicks print is more 3d from a distance, primarily because the 2013 is a vignette with blue sky background. However the 2013 has much more modeling/shading which becomes evident when you view the piece from within a 6 foot distance.

That said...I think I like last years a tiny bit better.
fredo
Art God

Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:16 pm

The phans might dig it but keep in mind that you're dealing almost exclusively with spatially challenged drug addicts and grammar school merit badge collectors out there.
JK- glad you're happy with it. If I ever see one up close I'll drop a line to confirm or deny.
just a foil for me today, thanks
timothyripley
Art Connoisseur

Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:58 pm

:)
poopsicle
Art Expert

Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:47 pm

Wish I had seen this at the shows :(
You can't spread peanut butter on a porpoise.
automator
Nobody

Sat May 01, 2021 11:35 am

New image Phish Commerce City 13 Ripley

automator
Nobody

Sat May 01, 2021 11:35 am

New image Phish Commerce City 13 Ripley