Sonic Youth Torino 07 Malleus

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
pewter14
EB Team

Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:31 pm

kyle wrote:another one just finished at $250 on the bay. not too shabby.
I was watching ...

There was a time last year, when these were $50, that I didn't have time to be paying attention to posters.

Missed this one on the cheap unfortunately ... but, something is telling me not to spend >$200 for this.

That's the same something that thinks I will never own this, unless I trade for it.

Congrats to whomever scooped it up.
ketstroxan
Art Expert

Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:32 pm

reserve wasn't even met until today
niconude
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:52 am

I picked up one of these from jojo yesterday!

Record price, but still stoked!!
I will swallow poison
untill I grow immune
ketstroxan
Art Expert

Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:52 pm

niconude wrote:I picked up one of these from jojo yesterday!

congrats, i seriously doubt you'll regret it. it kicks all kinds of ass.
rauchadam
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:05 pm

ketstroxan wrote:
niconude wrote:I picked up one of these from jojo yesterday!

congrats, i seriously doubt you'll regret it. it kicks all kinds of ass.

I second that... Wait till you see this in person... One of the top Malleus prints to date (IMO)!!!!
niconude
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:27 pm

Thats great to hear guys! Really looking forward to analyse this beauty up close.

Love the mystique in this!
I will swallow poison
untill I grow immune
deancc
Art Expert

Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:22 pm

i got one a month or so ago. had to spend a bit but, wow, it's gorgeous! the silver and blue work so well together. top shelf malleus for sure.
GreenMt
Art Expert

Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:28 pm

Jojo has said that this is his most asked about Malleus

I would love to hear others' descriptions of this image, and why they love it--it's always been a mysterious image to me--
niconude
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:14 am

GreenMt wrote:Jojo has said that this is his most asked about Malleus

I would love to hear others' descriptions of this image, and why they love it--it's always been a mysterious image to me--
I'll write a few words when I get it
I will swallow poison
untill I grow immune
kristian
Art Enthusiast

Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:39 am

I have always been intrigued by Malleus. I don't have a good explanation for it, but I have never owned anything of their work.... Pretty convinced I am missing out on some very interesting and top work.

The reason for this suspision are prints like this. I keep looking at the jpeg thinking the image is so damn cool and interesting. Yet I feel its gonna look flat on the black paper.

Guess I couldn't be more wrong.. reading the discussion here just fuels my wish to eventually pick up my first malleus. Im eying that 'six organs' print.

This is my favourite looking malleus though. Been paying attention even though im not buying :D
deancc
Art Expert

Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:21 am

GreenMt wrote:I would love to hear others' descriptions of this image, and why they love it--it's always been a mysterious image to me--
Difficult to explain my love for this one. I'd been thinking about this one for a while before I actually got it, too. I didn't buy it at first cos I wasn't so into the text but I guess it grew on me.

The image is stunning! Cold and ghostlike, but not scary or creepy. I mean, I doubt it's a ghost... how many ghosts do you see carrying candles? So, it's probably a live woman. But then there are no legs. They may exist, but they're not visible in the frame. Could be a Japanese ghost. They don't have any legs... and I don't see any footprints.

Malleus' women tend to be seductive but not in the typical sexy, tits and ass in you face, traditional rock 'n' roll poster way. Theirs are USUALLY seductive in a classy way. In any case, the women are usually quite clear, in shape and features. This one is left to the imagination. Though once her face becomes visible, I'm sure she'll be gorgeous. Think MEI 06.

Then there's the hair. Signature Malleus!

One thing that I think separates this from most other Malleuses (Mallei?) is the use of perspective, not just a simple background image or blank sheet (though their use of negative space in other posters is pretty cool too). Off the top of my head the only other one that uses perspective like this is the Julie's Haircut poster. Definitely adds some depth to this scene, like she's just walked down the street and is coming face to face with you.

The colors: light blue, silver and white on black... can't go wrong. Looks like the blue and silver is a split fountain which works to separate the woman from the cars and road well. Very smooth. Actually, I didn't notice it was a split til I'd had it for a while. Look in the right light and the blue/silver really shines nicely. And the red candle focuses your eye right to the centre where it should be. Maybe it doesn't "pop" as much as some others but it's definitely not flat. Not to me anyway.

The road, cars and traffic light are all kinda sketchy, but not like in a rushed, kindergarden drawing. Just loose but fitting.

Anyway, that's my impression. I'd like to hear others' too.
GreenMt
Art Expert

Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:32 pm

deancc wrote:
GreenMt wrote:I would love to hear others' descriptions of this image, and why they love it--it's always been a mysterious image to me--
Difficult to explain my love for this one. I'd been thinking about this one for a while before I actually got it, too. I didn't buy it at first cos I wasn't so into the text but I guess it grew on me.

The image is stunning! Cold and ghostlike, but not scary or creepy. I mean, I doubt it's a ghost... how many ghosts do you see carrying candles? So, it's probably a live woman. But then there are no legs. They may exist, but they're not visible in the frame. Could be a Japanese ghost. They don't have any legs... and I don't see any footprints.

Malleus' women tend to be seductive but not in the typical sexy, tits and ass in you face, traditional rock 'n' roll poster way. Theirs are USUALLY seductive in a classy way. In any case, the women are usually quite clear, in shape and features. This one is left to the imagination. Though once her face becomes visible, I'm sure she'll be gorgeous. Think MEI 06.

Then there's the hair. Signature Malleus!

One thing that I think separates this from most other Malleuses (Mallei?) is the use of perspective, not just a simple background image or blank sheet (though their use of negative space in other posters is pretty cool too). Off the top of my head the only other one that uses perspective like this is the Julie's Haircut poster. Definitely adds some depth to this scene, like she's just walked down the street and is coming face to face with you.

The colors: light blue, silver and white on black... can't go wrong. Looks like the blue and silver is a split fountain which works to separate the woman from the cars and road well. Very smooth. Actually, I didn't notice it was a split til I'd had it for a while. Look in the right light and the blue/silver really shines nicely. And the red candle focuses your eye right to the centre where it should be. Maybe it doesn't "pop" as much as some others but it's definitely not flat. Not to me anyway.

The road, cars and traffic light are all kinda sketchy, but not like in a rushed, kindergarden drawing. Just loose but fitting.

Anyway, that's my impression. I'd like to hear others' too.

Thank you for that terrific description/opinions! This is such a popular image, and one of the few Malleus for which, although I do have the print, I somehow feel I've never quite known how to look at it.

I'd love to hear others' feelings/views/analysis of this print.
ColdSoreSuperstar
Art Expert

Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:17 pm

I don't have this print, but if someone hooks me up, I'd be glad to give my anal-ysis.
not dead
jamel-d
Art Freak

Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:31 pm

One of my first Malleus. Beautiful piece. For the right price, it's yours.
ColdSoreSuperstar
Art Expert

Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:39 pm

I don't "buy" posters.

I let people give them to me.

If you're sweet to me, I'll let you give me yours.
not dead