Night Comes Black 13 Horkey

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:38 am

This topic is dedicated to: Night Comes Black 13 Horkey

Count
Art Expert

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:48 am

Damn, 11 colours. :drool:

This should look stunning in person.
jas1239
Art Connoisseur

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:51 am

So sick!! :drool:
bootstrut
Art Expert

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:54 am

Soooo good!! It would be amazing if the pieces of paper had GID Horkey lettering goodness. Would fit the night theme of the piece :drool:
appletree
Art Expert

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:22 pm

From the Sigur Ros release thread.
deancc wrote:sounds like no one has ever seen plain white paper before.

maybe everyone is just used to seeing something and now it's different. i wonder... if the Sigur Ros poster had never existed, would people still think the paper scraps on NCB looks strange? or maybe there's just the Graveyard/Siren expectation.

perhaps ones eyes are drawn to the paper scraps in NCB because it's lighter than the background (unlike in Sigur Ros). [you tend to focus on lighter areas of an image.] and then you get an eyeful of the blood. maybe that was the intention.
greenhorn1 wrote:
deancc wrote:or maybe there's just the Graveyard/Siren expectation.
I'm sure that's it. I must admit I thought there would be unique artwork for them as well based on that but I think the intention in this case was more to show the contrast of the blood on the paper.
I agree I think it is due to the expectation. Although knowing that it was going to be left blank I would have loved if this was printed on steel grey paper as opposed to the white. If Sigur Ros didn't exist I still think they would be a little strange. Maybe not if smaller and less noticeable and more papers and bits and trash stuck in the branches from over time. Although the big blank sheets are sort of odd on their own.
<3 + Image = T.H.C.

:::Johnathon Powers Photography:::
Sail wrote:it was all just a misunderstandingtree.
appletree
Art Expert

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:26 pm

halftonegraphics wrote:Dont really find the paper bothersome. If anything, I find the big ol' white radial troublesome. Instantly, seems to be a sun/light source but looking at the shadows it defintely is not.

$.02.
Oh wow did not even think about that. Although I see the background as actually branches just furthur in the fog/distance. If you look at the shadows on the actual branch some are on the underside or the viewers side of the image, which would make sense. In front of the bird's beak is a good example of a shadow on the proper side.
<3 + Image = T.H.C.

halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:31 pm

appletree wrote:
halftonegraphics wrote:Dont really find the paper bothersome. If anything, I find the big ol' white radial troublesome. Instantly, seems to be a sun/light source but looking at the shadows it defintely is not.

$.02.
Oh wow did not even think about that. Although I see the background as actually branches just furthur in the fog/distance. If you look at the shadows on the actual branch some are on the underside or the viewers side of the image, which would make sense. In front of the bird's beak is a good example of a shadow on the proper side.
The sun/light source, based on the shadows, would be almost right above us, a little to the left. Easiest giveaway on the angle is the shadow the wings cast on the tail. Otherwise, looking at the papers, seeing what panels are the brightest are at the same angle.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
appletree
Art Expert

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:35 pm

Huh good observation. Looking at this it seems perhaps Ben suggested to print an art print so everything sort of happened after the fact. I doubt when this was inked Aaron had an intention to have a print produced like Night Comes Black. Honestly for me the papers are far more distracting than the shadows.

Beautifully printed and done though. Hope there are enough in the edition for me to have a chance to pick one up!
<3 + Image = T.H.C.

Snowboarder37918
Art Connoisseur

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:37 pm

I love the blue, but all these details people are posting are making me think - ha!
ChrisV
Art Expert

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:52 pm

I thought the sun was actually a moon on a foggy night, hence the different shadows and stuff. Reminds me a lot of the Andrew Bird Boston for some reason. I'm hoping the sun/moon is metallic.
TheThirdEye
Art Expert

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:13 pm

It is a moon not a sun. Aaron had full control of this art print variant. He selected the colors and everything. Aaron had mocked this up way before printing started. Ben did not just wing this on his own.
treynutzz
Art Connoisseur

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:14 pm

I like the way the moon and fog fills in the blank space from the gig poster.
appletree
Art Expert

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:17 pm

TheThirdEye wrote:It is a moon not a sun. Aaron had full control of this art print variant. He selected the colors and everything. Aaron had mocked this up way before printing started. Ben did not just wing this on his own.
Thanks for the answer. I had assumed it is the moon hence the name of the print.

I asked this in the other thread, but no response. I was curious if Aaron had been 'pushing' for these art prints or something Ben was suggesting to him. Did not mean to insinuate that Ben was winging it without Aaron's collaboration, more that it seemed like the art print was thought of after the image was inked and completed.
<3 + Image = T.H.C.

TheThirdEye
Art Expert

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:29 pm

The illustration of the paper scraps were definitely intended for the gig info, but Aaron either didn't have time to illustrate them out, or figure out something else to put on them for the art print. Maybe it was too much work to recreate the screens too, so they just let it be. I think it would be cool if the edition number was drawn on the paper, or even the embossed manta logo would look kind of neat there, but that would probably take even more of Aaron's time. Who knows, maybe Aaron does have a plan for them?
piratesprayer
Art Expert

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:31 pm

oh baby :clap:
talkingdeads wrote:My nipples just did a back flip!