The Battle at Blackwater 13 Englert

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:24 am

This topic is dedicated to: The Battle at Blackwater 13 Englert

noeldaddy
Art Expert

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:36 am

I am enamored with this print. Probably the best print of ships I've ever laid eyes on. Classic scene of the book without shoving GoT down your throat. I've seen a lot of dislike for the wall in front.. But as always things tend to look better in person. Plus I love the subtle touch of the silhouettes of Tyrion, Joffrey, and one who I'm assuming is the Hound
ImageImage
heythatsmybike
Art Connoisseur

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:51 am

This is probably my favorite Mark Englert print to date. GID layer is impressive.

automator
Nobody

Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:31 pm

New image The Battle at Blackwater 13 Englert
GID

erichubersonic

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:14 pm

I too, am quite excited for this print. This would be my second GID, and by far the most subtle use of GID I've come across in the short time I've been collecting. Very impressive work. I hope it doesn't fade.
mattseguin
Art Enthusiast

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:28 pm

I love how the GID layer completely changes the tone of the image...peacetime to battle. Great use of that effect, I'm glad I was able to grab one.
jkw3000
EB Team

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:31 pm

I love how if this were a Mondo GoT gallery piece/drop, it would've been THE piece to get. I loved Danger's and Richard's work, but this...this is basically what that show was missing.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
MatchsMalone
Art Expert

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:45 pm

This is my favorite use of GID I've ever seen. Fantastic. Especially considering that the wildfire is green ... couldn't be any better.
Because it's the print we deserve, but not the one we need right now. So we'll hunt it.

Let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet.
Hellboy
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:04 am

I've got to have this one to accompany my JC Richard "North of The Wall" Just a beautiful piece of work. One of Englert's best IMO.
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:05 am

Hellboy wrote:I've got to have this one to accompany my JC Richard "North of The Wall" Just a beautiful piece of work. One of Englert's best IMO.
Yeah, I'm pretty excited about hanging these two together.
ClaytonHopper
Art Expert

Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:48 am

jrsheppa wrote:
Hellboy wrote:I've got to have this one to accompany my JC Richard "North of The Wall" Just a beautiful piece of work. One of Englert's best IMO.
Yeah, I'm pretty excited about hanging these two together.
I have both coming as well and I agree they should look great together. Really looking forward to seeing both in person but the Glow aspect of this print looks amazing form the images online. I can only hope it looks half as good in person. This secene was a very rememomable moment both in the book and TV show, great to see a visual represnetation like the TV show did in a art print. Also love how this print and Horkey GoT have no writing on them that says Game Of Thrones! Really excited now about how my living room is going to look when all three get framed! :drool:
Hellboy
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:00 am

ClaytonHopper wrote: Also love how this print and Horkey GoT have no writing on them that says Game Of Thrones!
I do too. I'm probably going to mat out the border of my JC Richard to eliminate the title. To me prints like these work better without them.
pugsly
Art Enthusiast

Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:02 am

Love the concept of the wildfire GID but imo that day image looks really flat. Increased contrast (an extra color maybe?) would have made the image more dramatic. Also rough stormy harbor appearing magically glassy with reflections? Rough ocean on an overcast day just doesn't reflect things like that at a distance so it's kind of distracting
More jarring imo is the comic-style silohuette in the foreground appears hand drawn in but many nature elements, water, coastline appear at least partly cloned in from photo sources. The style mix makes the overall image look more like collage instead of cohesive illustration. Looking at past prints this is obviously a deliberate choice, but the mix just looks off to me.

And not sure it's a plus that it doesn't have a logo anywhere, since it more highlights the fact it's not official ;)
jampar5000
Art Expert

Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:48 am

pugsly wrote:Love the concept of the wildfire GID but imo that day image looks really flat. Increased contrast (an extra color maybe?) would have made the image more dramatic. Also rough stormy harbor appearing magically glassy with reflections? Rough ocean on an overcast day just doesn't reflect things like that at a distance so it's kind of distracting
More jarring imo is the comic-style silohuette in the foreground appears hand drawn in but many nature elements, water, coastline appear at least partly cloned in from photo sources. The style mix makes the overall image look more like collage instead of cohesive illustration. Looking at past prints this is obviously a deliberate choice, but the mix just looks off to me.

And not sure it's a plus that it doesn't have a logo anywhere, since it more highlights the fact it's not official ;)
jump on Mark's blog - his process stuff is pretty enlightening.
LeeKaye wrote:I liked it, but I am trying to resist the lure of one more 'wafer thin print'
ClaytonHopper
Art Expert

Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:56 pm

pugsly wrote: And not sure it's a plus that it doesn't have a logo anywhere, since it more highlights the fact it's not official ;)
I could care less about 'official'.. Its Art... plain and simple. Horkey's GoT print had no writing and he was commissioned by HBO/GoT for that print. So you do not need writing to make it "Official" or to make it good. It's actually a nice change pace since almost everything now has some sort of writing or tag on it.