Metropolis 13 Dye

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
danieldanger
LORD KINGSHIT

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:09 pm

i mean, ill be in the city that weekend. someone get me a white wall and a bunch of folding chairs, ill bring the projector.

i just noticed this forum has an automated ebay link button. come on.
tranito
Art Expert

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:13 pm

You didn't know that's one of the ways EB is funding itself as a free site, didn't you? Purchases made clicking on that ebay link swings back a % of the sale to EB.
Actually, it's probably the only source of income, besides donations from its members.. I think it's brilliant.
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
danieldanger
LORD KINGSHIT

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:18 pm

aaaaah, making money off all the people linking to their auctions is actually kinda brilliant.
CrustaR
Art Expert

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:07 pm

Just saw a close-up of the print. Looks like it's printed kind of like a CYMK print (with the dots) but with just different colors of metallic gold ink.
pewter14 wrote:You're not the only one on the hunt for The Thing ... just ... the most obvious ... by a lot.
KNEEL13
EB Team

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:12 pm

CrustaR wrote:Just saw a close-up of the print. Looks like it's printed kind of like a CYMK print (with the dots) but with just different colors of metallic gold ink.
Halftones most likely:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZmONUBhwhA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halftone
CrustaR
Art Expert

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:18 pm

I found this image on Facebook...
pewter14 wrote:You're not the only one on the hunt for The Thing ... just ... the most obvious ... by a lot.
danieldanger
LORD KINGSHIT

Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:42 pm

halftones are simply too harsh and too graphic of a technique to replicate the softness of that image.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:46 pm

Will look alright from afar. Looks like crap up close.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
KSUvet
Art Expert

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:16 pm

DD is pwning this thread right now :clap: .
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
wizzack
Art Expert

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:55 pm

Someone should silkscreen Carpenter's Thing poster.
danieldanger
LORD KINGSHIT

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:58 pm

its really not my intent to come across like a big fudge talker, or pwn anyone, its just that a dialogue about intent and process is, well, needed around here sometimes.
danieldanger
LORD KINGSHIT

Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:01 pm

wizzack wrote:Someone should silkscreen Carpenter's Thing poster.
that happened, officially, and it looks officially gorgeous.
stefansf
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:04 am

Yes. And this is a great conversation. I love all of it. Matt Dye's Metropolis is not a copy, it's revisiting an iconic poster and updating it with today's process. I think it is is cool. Do it. Have the fight. I am down with this and Matt's Star Wars mash up posters. Matt has a boat load of super creative stuff, this is a good experiment. He did, some other have played around with it in the past. Enjoy it.

danieldanger wrote:
wizzack wrote:Someone should silkscreen Carpenter's Thing poster.
that happened, officially, and it looks officially gorgeous.
danieldanger
LORD KINGSHIT

Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:27 am

im pretty sure its very much a copy. if matt says that at no point in the process of this he used the "copy" command on the original art, ill retract that statement.

and i wouldnt consider silkscreening/halftones 'todays process', or even remotely modern. silkscreening is an outdated and archaic medium, it just has a certain aesthetic and charm that we all mutually adore and an accessibility and learning curve that makes it readily available to artists on a budget, and affordable for fans on a budget.

also, when i die, please nobody 'update' my artwork with halftones. i will haunt the fudge out of you.

ps, the more i see the han solo print the more i actually kind of want one. hahah.
Baker
Art Expert

Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:50 am

Good to see you around DD. You making it to Bumbershoot this year? Yes, this if off-topic. :pint:
ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"